NameSilo

Options for DNS

Labeled as question in Web Development and Server Administration, started by TLDexpo, Oct 30, 2019

Replies:
Views:

1. TLDexpo

TLDexpo Established Member

I am in the process of migrating from shared hosting to VPS and am pondering what I am going to do for dns for my portfolio both short and long term.

Short term I am just going to go with the free dns service included with pretty much every registrar. Pros: free, easy - no learning curve or setup; Cons: they are unicast, globally slow and scattered among several different registrars.

Potential options include using a third party cheap (very) or free DNS such as Hurricane Electric dns. Another option is to go with PowerDNS which is included with cyberpanel and setup my own master DNS and again use something like HE as slave dns.

What are others doing for portfolio DNS?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. andNames

andNames Shailendra Mishra VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

For domains I use Efty lander, so really can't keep DNS control.

But for websites, I use Cloudflare as a DNS manager. I do not know what is the domain limit there, but it is free and among the fastest across the globe.

3. Pay.My.id

Pay.My.id Top Contributor VIP

I recommend you to use DNS service from cloudflare.According my experience, free or pro always good in performance.

4. TLDexpo

Yah, not a big fan of CF and I can't imagine admining 5 or 6 hundred domains via their web admin.

5. andNames

Yes, It is Cloudflare is not ideal for domains.

Firstly, and lastly, there is no facility of bulk edits. Period.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  6. TLDexpo

Free is limited to 6 I believe and at $20 per pop paid isn't a workable solution.

7. andNames

No free is not limited to 6. I have not less than 10 in my one account. Never tested the max.

8. cipcip

cipcip Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

9. Jurgen Wolf

Jurgen Wolf Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

NS1.com
    Looks that prices are individual there, so contact them...

10. poweredbyme

poweredbyme Top Contributor VIP

Install bind9 and host your own DNS on your own domain. Get one more server in another continent for the slave server. Slave nameserver (secondary NS) doesn't need a hosting/server control panel if you are good at linux CLI.

Other options rely on third party services regardless of paid or free.. Servers that are out of your control are a weak link in your hosting chain.

11. kam

kam Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I think Cloudflare is the best one now, in term of security and speed.

https://community.cloudflare.com/t/how-many-domains-we-can-add-in-a-free-plan/16488
    https://community.cloudflare.com/t/how-many-domains-can-you-have-in-your-free-account/11864

According to above post, there's no limit for the free plan.

I recently have more and more domains pointed to Cloudflare but the Cloudflare's web interface is not good for bulk adding and bulk editing. Therefore, I just create my own software for this purpose, it helps me to bulk add domains as well as DNS Records into Cloudflare via API.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice