IT.COM

Opinion on what to do with domain name

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TampaDomains

Established Member
Impact
I won't say the name but it has to do with the locksmith industry and there are 2 companies or more likely they are the same company own that 2 word domain but with a dash(-) in between the words and the other domains is double dash(--).

I could not believe the .com was available with no dashes and has about 2000 searches a month for that phrase that is not specific to a city.

There is no trademark on the term as far as my searching can tell. So as far as my research tells me. Even if I try to sell to the company, I could not get in trouble, right? No trademark so no trouble right?

This company has 50 or more locations around the US and it is not a well known company. I can find little info about the company really.

Opinions?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Double dash? Yikes. There's your selling point right there.

I say reach out to them, you have nothing to lose.

•••
Yea, originally I was just laughing my ass off at double dash, so for fun I checked if single dash was taken and it was, so I checked no dashes and bam. lol

It may be a referral company that doesn't own any companies, I don't know.

•••
Once I had a domain that almost perfectly fit your description. If they operate green vans, pls send me a pm B-)

•••
So if I understand correctly there is only one or two 'obvious' end users ? What do you do with the domain if none are interested ?

There is no registered trademark on the term as far as my searching can tell.
Fixed.

No trademark so no trouble right?
There is always a risk in everything when you contact people out of the blue and if they feel, rightly or wrongly, you are extorting them. Not saying this is the case, just playing the devil's advocate. If there is only one obvious end user it's harder to claim a legitimate interest in the domain.
Generally speaking I am not fond of single buyer domain names.

•••
There is 1 obvious great choice end user but any locksmith could use it.

•••
Have tried parking just to see any traffic?

•••
As for the OP,

as @Kate rightly said already, it is hard a name that has limited end users. You mght drop it later and they might evwn be adviced to wait and monitor since your market is limited you will for sure drop the name :)

•••
For the 2nd time. Any locksmith in the whole world could use it.
It is not a top tier phrase but it is a 2 word very related to locksmith, domain name.

There just happens to be some jelly on the roll that there is a company that it is perfect for.

•••
It is not a top tier phrase but it is a 2 word very related to locksmith, domain name.

There just happens to be some jelly on the roll that there is a company that it is perfect for.

no need to create a thread for this man, just send hundreds of emails and you'll definitely land a sale.

•••

You are right. I found the name. It can be used :)

•••
You are right. I found the name. It can be used :)

Assuming you found the right one, even tho its a bit different. It is still very related to locksmithing.
It is very strange that it was just sitting after a drop for many months.

•••
Assuming you found the right one, even tho its a bit different. It is still very related to locksmithing.
It is very strange that it was just sitting after a drop for many months.

I did find and you know it. Shall I give you the start?

Last edited:
•••
I am not doubting you. A small amount of detective work could find it. I just didn't want to post it in the thread is all.

•••
Whoa! You are lucky like Sanmay Ved, the boy who bought Google.com :-D There's no risk, you can reach the company and let them understand the value of a perfect domain name and sell it out to them.

•••
buy and sell or keep it and sell after a while

•••
These robot posters are sure bringing up some old threads. And what a well thought out answer
buy and sell or keep it and sell after a while
Thanks for regurgitating these old threads

•••
Yeah it's an invasion of spambots :(

•••
•••
Rahul would say" i am in agreement"

•••
•••
•••
am not surprised that people have gone such an extent where they use - or even --to get the domain name they wish to have. Thus is better to get the domain registered with the trademark.

•••
If you are not in a hurry to sell, then I would try the following tactic.

Try to find a suitable topic that is not related to locksmiths. Add a few pages to cover this topic.
On the index page, you should include a prominent line for each of the two companies, and state that you are not related to them, but if surfers are looking for their site, then they should click on a link that you provide to send them to the site. If the company is any good, they will pick up the reference in their server stats, and then you can start from a position of strength as they contacted you first.

•••
Back