Dynadot

sales Only 21 reported 3L.com sales, one reader asked why?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Closing in on August and only 21 reported 3L.com sales in 2021. A reader asked me why so few sales? If we look at 2020 there were only 43 and that was down from 76 in 2019 and 94 in 2018 and 147 in 2017. I think those holding them from an investment standpoint have […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
My guess as to why is there are simply more options available now. There are many more single or two letter cctld and even some single letter ngtld names that are of equal or even shorter length. Many of these new competitor names can say alot more IMO with more impact.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hi

these sold via snap/nj in july

zaa.com $25K
vtn.com $49K
vie.com $40K

imo...

•••
•••
vie.com for 40k is a steal.

No kidding. English verb, nice letters, either paths or the plural of "roads/streets" in Italian (I think), and most importantly, "life" in French.

•••
price is definitely NOT going up

Remember when Drew Rosener proudly disclaimed the absolute floor price of a 3l .com could be no lower than 30k in 2017? Domain Sherpa was such a scam, lol

Last edited:
•••
Reported doesn't mean anything for such a small group of names.

Even year on year could be just fluctuation in reporting rather than ups and downs of the market. With the exclusion of wholesale auction ones, there are probably just a dozen of truly reported end user sales.

Given that there around 17K LLL.coms and half are probably under use/not for sale, that leaves only around 8.5K names. With 1% CTR that we expect for good names priced right, that is only 85 sales/year. And then if only around 10% of sales get reported, we should expect only around dozen sold and reported names.

•••
There’s no real difference between a LL.com, LLL.com or keyword.com if it’s the exact match of a multi-billion dollar company (that really wants the domain)!

There should have been much higher 3L.com sales reported, & likely were but were under NDA.

Some of these corporate giants got some real bargains historically, and made at least hundreds of millions in difference just from acquiring theirs.

Obviously not all 3L.coms were created equal. Some reported prices will be rock bottom, meaningless investor to investor prices, etc.

However if you’ve got a really good one (or 2) then I don’t see any reason why they can’t sell for similar prices to any other top domain…

•••
•••
If the prices are rising too high for buyers to accept, the sellers will just have to hold out until those new higher prices become the norm and the buyers begin buying at the new higher prices.

Since there are fewer and fewer unused 3L.coms every year, I can only assume the prices will continue rising and the number of sales decrease.

•••
If we look at 2020 there were only 43 and that was down from 76 in 2019 and 94 in 2018 and 147 in 2017

What was the median price for domains sold in each of those years?

•••
Back