NameSilo

OK, Here's a stupid question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Is anyone here buying domains, making "mini sites," using a few
affiliate programs/banners, submitting to search engines, doing a little
promotion... and here's the kicker - making ANY money???

I'm thinking about my budgethosting.org domain as an example.

Is it "possible" to set up a page or two (MAX.) with minimal hosting costs,
bucks?

Anyone doing this as a "sideline" or as a main source of income?

What the deal ;)

Thanks,
Mike

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yea, I've done this for a few things, don't want to give out too many details, but try it, I'll tell you it works.
At first I was pesemistic, but it really does work, much better than though :)

•••
maxweb: You can definitely make money off of it. I've only been doing this stuff for a week and have made off of one of my parked domains about 15 bucks. Now, that doesn't sound like much, but it costed me 6.95 to register, ya know? Get 10 of those and that's decent money.

Also, just to note, I've also SPENT more money and MADE more money in this week than I have in the last two years of having a part-time job.

•••
If you have domain/hosting traffic why not try setting the site up with a reseller like enom or WWD & let them do the work for you?

Again without giving too much away, it is possible to make good money from affiliates IF they are relevant to your traffic.

As for being a sideline, well, it was - but now it actually pays more than my other ventures. :)

Last edited:
•••
You mean cookie cutter sites?

•••
excellent stuff folks...

so now: which affiliate products sell best??????????

hosting, posters, books, domains, downloads, WHICH ;)

and... are you talking "one or two page sites" - not huge & bulky...

THANKS,
MIKE

•••
:hi: UltimateSearch makes millions of dollars a year with PPC. I was told that by an executive officer of Findwhat.com. Know that Ultimatesearch.com owns in excess of 150,000 domains and many, many of them are premium names, so of course they are great for traffic.

I wouldn't think that a hosting site with a .org would be easy to attract traffic. Maybe with some promotion it could make some money with an affiliate.

My friend at Findwhat.com told me that there are some affiliates making in the neighborhood of $20,000 per year off of one domain name because it is a great logical domain for that particular service or product. If you own Shoes.com and you don't want to go into the shoe business and you don't want to sell it, one could make a very healthy sum just using for PPC or in some kind of quality affiliate program.

You should read all the fine print with the alliliate programs. I own GiftClub.com and I was approached by a company inviting me to be an affiliate. They offered to provide me with a beautiful website with all the bells and whistles. My domain name was perfect for a successful venture with this company except for one small problem. Of course I would have to invest in the promotion my own site. Without promotion and effort nothing will succeed. The problem was that the bottom line return was too small. They were only willing to pay me 2% of the sales that went through my website. After advertising I believe I would have been in the red. Not enough incentive.

There are some quality Affiliate programs where they allow you to groom and develop your customer base and the customers are yours for as long as you are an affiliate with their program, and this will give you an incentive to put a greater effort into the promotion of your website.

In the program I referenced above there were too many middle men. The dirtributors, the group that create the network of distributors, the affiliate that creates the website, maintains the product content, and handles the back-end transactions, and finally you. Too many mouths to feed.

If your time is limited and you have great domain names that are key to hot products and services, then PPC is not a bad way to go while you are waiting for the right customer to buy your domains.

Fabulous.com will provide you with your site and allow you to display that your domain is for sale. I believe you need to have around 100 domain names and they determine if they meet their criteria or not.

Best of Luck to you....................Make lots of money :$: :$:

Cheers,

Showcase :)

•••
I built a mini site (just one page, actually) for Antwone.com.
It's an uncommon first name and also the title character of a popular Hollywood movie.

Gets a fair number of visitors. Has a couple of decent SE rankings.
Basically I just link it to the DVD of the movie on Amazon.

My sales commissions for the last several months ~ $95.
Not exactly a money churner, but you can see what I mean.

A $7 domain, no hosting fees, a couple of hours to setup, locate an appropriate affiliate product, and you're done. I have not even thought of advertising or marketing yet.

So, there's lots going for building mini sites. Key is to focus on a niche.

•••
Thanks Showcase,

Edwin, that's precisely what I was driving at.
Anyone else doing this, and what are you selling???

Thanks,
Mike

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back