Dynadot

advice Offer received for CoronaVirusPrevention dot org

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mspence6666

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone, I am looking for advise. I've never sold a domain name...

I just received a $500 initial offer via godaddy for the domain coronavirusprevention dot org

What are some thoughts on this? Do you think it's worth more?
Do you think I'm lucky to get this offer at all?

As far as I see it, corona virus isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and even though it's a long name, it is an "exact match" as far as the spelling goes.

So please, looking for advise and thoughts on this. What would you do?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Why .org, I regged cov // prevention in com right after seeing this thread.
Could you PM me the domain name?

•••
Yea, I saw that website today.
Many people are unfortunately dying from this virus and if I were you, I will feel bad to be too greedy to make a lot of money out of it. I would have countered $2500 or so. It is win win offer, IMO.

•••
Many people are unfortunately dying from this virus and if I were you, I will feel bad to be too greedy to make a lot of money out of it. I would have countered $2500 or so. It is win win offer, IMO.
A domain name has nothing to do with people getting sick and dying. I don't feel guilty at all. It's a domain name.

•••
A domain name has nothing to do with people getting sick and dying. I don't feel guilty at all. It's a domain name.

Okay it is up to you. I am a medical doctor and may have different options. If it is NGO, I may even decide to give it free rather than making money out of it, They may be able to spend that much money to help those suffering.

•••
Okay it is up to you. I am a medical doctor and may have different options. If it is NGO, I may even decide to give it free rather than making money out of it, They may be able to spend that much money to help those suffering.
Well, I've heard and respect you opinion.

•••
I actually think $500 was a fair offer on this domain given that it's rather long in .org .. and more importantly, there are tons of alternatives.

Replying at $33k is very unrealistic .. if you believe in the "moonshot" principle, you still can only do it when your domain is the best alternative. This domain is not that.

I probably would have countered in the $2k-$3k range, but accepted almost anything given the relative weakness of this domain, and that this domain could be relatively obsolete within a year.

Note that by "relative weakness", I am NOT saying it's a worthless domain, it's just that it's simple not strong enough and there are too many alternatives to command a sales price further into the 4-figures.

Last edited:
•••
I actually think $500 was a fair offer on this domain given that it's rather long in .org .. and more importantly, there are tons of alternatives.

Replying at $33k is very unrealistic .. if you believe in the "moonshot" principle, you still can only do it when your domain is the best alternative. This domain is not that.

I probably would have countered in the $2k-$3k range, but accepted almost anything given the relative weakness of this domain, and that this domain could be relatively obsolete within a year.

Note that by "relative weakness", I am NOT saying it's a worthless domain, it's just that it's simple not strong enough and there are too many alternatives to command a sales price further into the 4-figures.

I agree on all points.

Brad

•••
The moonshot can be taken context.
If it was my domain I would not sell for $500.
If one was ready to settle for the first offer then there was no need for a high counter.

If the buyer can pay $5000 they'll come back.

•••
maybe the buyers are these guys: c**oronaviruspreventionnetwor**k dot org

•••
•••
More reason for the OP not to settle for less than $xx,xxx
Agree, I think 10k+ is reasonable. Anyway the window opportunity to sell it it's quite short and there aren't so many buyers out there for such domains. People willing to pay real cash can easily register a .edu or a .gov

•••
maybe the buyers are these guys: c**oronaviruspreventionnetwor**k dot org

Could very well be them. They use some additional domains forwarding to there.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••

NGOs?
In most cases they have budgets that will cover paying a pretty price for the domain that won't impact people who need care.

•••
Sorry to say, but you probably killed the potential sale.
I did that after some bad advice. It happens. Renewed the domain 2 years ahead.

•••
I did that after some bad advice. It happens. Renewed the domain 2 years ahead.

On the upside, losing a potential sale on a domain like this isn't much money wasted either. That $10 regfee isn't gonna break the bank. Add a couple of years to it and it's still in the range of a good lottery ticket :)

•••
I did that after some bad advice. It happens.

Sure, but for a beginner w/o much capital it may make a whole lot of a difference. :(

•••
Should have just closed it and been another day of business a lesson on what not to do. I wouldn't counter on decent offer don't mean to sound nasty.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry to say, but you probably killed the potential sale.

Funny.

Coronaviruses were discovered in the 30s. That was more than 80 years ago.
You just did not know about them.
I registered a coronavirus domain name in 2013.
You just did not know about them.
Coronaviruses cause at least 15% of common colds. Any year.

Nobody was able to "prevent" coronaviruses in more than 80 years.
Do you believe that this website with or without this domain will?
And this domain name is so important to achieve this? Why?

Last edited:
•••
No worry. Shooting for the moon is part of domaining. As you said you are not in hurry to sell it. So, I think that's a good move. Sometimes it hits the bull's eye, else wait for another buyer for another offer.
Now, in case, if you are lucky, they will reply. And your role should be to stick to or close to your initial counter. If they have come back, that's because of their high interest in this domain, just monetize it on the way. The coming back may take days, weeks, or months.

•••
No worry. Shooting for the moon is part of domaining. As you said you are not in hurry to sell it. So, I think that's a good move. Sometimes it hits the bull's eye, else wait for another buyer for another offer.
Now, in case, if you are lucky, they will reply. And your role should be to stick to or close to your initial counter. If they have come back, that's because of their high interest in this domain, just monetize it on the way. The coming back may take days, weeks, or months.

In his case he should be in a hurry because coronavirus will be out of business in less than a year (ex: vaccine).. and a year in domaining is like tomorrow!

•••
I wish coronavirus gets out ASAP, but this has created so dreadful impact on our lives, everything related to coronavirus will be selling for up to the next 5 years. IMO. So, virus will be gone leaving behind the fear which will last long.

•••
Why .org, I regged cov // prevention in com right after seeing this thread.
I like the way you roll

•••
Thank you for the wise words. I feel I made a mistake by countering 33k to their 500 offer.

You did make a mistake if your target was to sell for only a bit over their initial offer .... <$2000

If you truly want to sell for $5000 + than a big counter offer is legit and my advice is decent.

Ultimately it would be great for your .org to be useful and help humanity with information that truly is preventative medicine. (not vaccine propaganda)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back