NameSilo

Offer on GoDaddy, is it fake?

Labeled as advice in Domain Selling and Domain Sales started by lindorez, Dec 27, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. lindorez

lindorez New Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I bought a domain 10 years ago d/e/d/i/s/e/r/v/e/r/dot/com which I put on GoDaddy auctions and forgot about it.

I received multiple offers last night through GoDaddy one for $7,777 and another for $10,000 within minutes. My gut tells me this is too good to be true and not real. However, I then think does somebody know something I don't?

I have not had any involvement in buying/selling domains for years so wanted to get some advice on what to do. Do I just accept and see what happens?

Thanks in advance.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. IMEZI

IMEZI Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

perhaps @Joe Styler could help you out, he is official godaddy/afternic staff

3. dexdn

dexdn Top Member VIP

It is easy, accept the highest offer and wait :) soon you will see it is fake or not :)
    You don't loose anything if you accept the offer :)

4. lindorez

Thanks for the advice. I was not sure of the risk of accepting an offer if it is fake.

As I understand at that value it goes through escrow, if it falls through am I left with fees that I have to pay?

If there is no risk then I would guess taking an offer makes sense. I just find it strange to have received multiple offers out the blue when it has been on the auction site for years.

5. atinc

atinc Entrepreneur VIP

hope its not fake, give it a chance

6. draco

draco Upgraded Member Blue Account ★★★★★★★★★★

There's no risk. I've had higher fake offers and never had to pay anything. The only thing is nobody else can buy your domain while the sale is pending.

7. lindorez

The buyer pulled out, so it was fake. It sat at status "Pending Buyer Purchase" for 7 days. I contacted Godaddy and the buyer confirmed they were not going ahead.

Its frustrating that purchases are not binding on these auction sites.

On the plus side I did not have any fees so thanks to all for the advice.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!