IT.COM

opinion Offer from a celebrity!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
So recently I hand reg a brandable domain (I had eye on the name for months but finally reg'ed it) and honestly I love the domain name. Today got an inquiry about the domain from a Singaporean celebrity and he's also a parliament member of Singapore.

I was planning to do something with the domain myself after couple of month when my current project is finished but I'm open to any good offer which I told him but he replied with "I saw that u just got it two days ago"

What would you do in this situation and what is the price range of good two word completely brandable name?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
2 days or 2 years. It does not matter, you got there first and have a brandable concept behind it that you are going to develop. That makes it priceless for you and any price your willing to put on it valid.

I will just add that I have been in Singapore for a few years and know how things work around here, especially an MP. If it is someone high up the hierarchy then their pockets are as deep as they wish. Just don't be fooled if they bring up anything about trademarks as that is well out of SG juristriction, no matter what they may try and pull.

Been meaning to sign up for a while, so just felt I had to bite the bullet and give you an answer. Hope the domain goes great for you, either in a development or sale.

•••
Thanks! It helps. I'm going to wait and see what he does. Told him I don't plan to sell the name but happy to consider his offer. Welcome to NP!

2 days or 2 years. It does not matter, you got there first and have a brandable concept behind it that you are going to develop. That makes it priceless for you and any price your willing to put on it valid.

I will just add that I have been in Singapore for a few years and know how things work around here, especially an MP. If it is someone high up the hierarchy then their pockets are as deep as they wish. Just don't be fooled if they bring up anything about trademarks as that is well out of SG juristriction, no matter what they may try and pull.

Been meaning to sign up for a while, so just felt I had to bite the bullet and give you an answer. Hope the domain goes great for you, either in a development or sale.

•••
I agree with 3sixty, in that it doesn't matter when you registered it. You got it first so it's yours. As long as it isn't some kind of trademark name or a persons name then you are fine.

Since you have plans for the domain but are willing to sell for the right price, I would figure out what it's worth to you and what you would be willing to take to part with it. Then send back a reply with an amount that's a little more than you would take so you have some room to work with and come down if you have to. Just don't get too greedy and ask for an outrageous amount, unless you want to drive him away.

If it is what I refer to as your "Dream Domain", a domain name that you just really think is perfect for your need and what you have planned for it then I would just hold onto it and tell him, thanks but it's not for sale.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the person who is wanting the domain is just saying they are a celebrity in hopes that you might give it to them free or sell it to them cheap, just for the honor and being able to say you sold a domain to a celebrity. There are many times where people will claim they are someone else, hoping to get a good domain free or cheap.

One time I had someone contact me saying the were the personal assistant to Charlie Sheen and he is having him contact me because he wants the name for a charity he was working with. Right off the bat I didn't believe him but I decided to play along and exchanged a few emails.

I have/had the domain in a state or being developed for a project of mine so I told him I really didn't want to get rid of it. He said "What if I have Charlie sign a few photos & send them to you to show Charlie's sincerity?". I told him that I would have no use for those but if he had Charlie call me I would just give it to him. He then got offended asking why I didn't believe him. I told him a call or no domain and I haven't heard back from him.

This little story is a bit off topic but it pertains to my point. The point that people will try anything, so the celebrity who supposedly wants the domain might actually be some kind of lying low life.

Never give trust to someone with a celebrity story trying to acquire a domain, they must earn your trust.

•••
Another thing to keep in mind is that the person who is wanting the domain is just saying they are a celebrity in hopes that you might give it to them free or sell it to them cheap, just for the honor and being able to say you sold a domain to a celebrity. There are many times where people will claim they are someone else, hoping to get a good domain free or cheap.

Thanks! It really feels good to hear others opinion sometime. He's a celebrity that's for sure. Looked up his name on Google and the message came through his verified Facebook account.

•••
Thanks! It really feels good to hear others opinion sometime. He's a celebrity that's for sure. Looked up his name on Google and the message came through his verified Facebook account.
Well then if you are for sure then that eliminates that part of the thinking.

Just take into account the rest of what I stated.

Also, Not counting whatever reason the celeb wants the name, is it what would be considered a Great Name? One that is just perfect for your purpose? If it is one that you can find another good name to take it's place then I would say, try to sell it. Just don't get taken advantage of by the celeb or his people using the old "You will make Mr. xxxxx very happy" or something like that.

Make a good reasonable offer, slightly more than you would be willing to take and go from there.

Otherwise, if it's that awesome name you wanted then tell then sorry but it's for a project of yours.

•••
What would you do in this situation and what is the price range of good two word completely brandable name?
It doesn't matter when you registered the domain. You own it. Don't give a discount price just because the domain is so new.

I just sold a 90 day old hand-reg last week for $2800 (because it was a decent brandable).

Personally, I'd probably quote $5,000 or $10,000 depending on how good the name is. You could get a good idea for the market on two word brandables by checking prices of comparable domains over at Brandbucket.

•••
It doesn't matter when you registered the domain. You own it. Don't give a discount price just because the domain is so new.

I just sold a 90 day old hand-reg last week for $2800 (because it was a decent brandable).

Personally, I'd probably quote $5,000 or $10,000 depending on how good the name is. You could get a good idea for the market on two word brandables by checking prices of comparable domains over at Brandbucket.

Thanks mate!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back