IT.COM

domain NYCLAWYERS.com -- worth six figures?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Larry2

Impact
It is obviously a great domain. Been sitting largely idle since 1994.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As I had previously stated this equation is only one aspect of why I came to my overall valuation. The Rosener equation is an excellent to tool to help you understand how much money is being spent monthly on advertising for emd domains. It is a rough guideline at best to be used in combination with your own methods of valuation to come to a well rounded valuation that accounts for both tangible and intangible valuation metrics.

Many domainers still use the equation today in conjunction with their own methods, even domainers like Zandibot do so I'm not the only one who finds it useful.

On another note your true character is out there for everyone to see :)

Did anyone belittle others by saying their valuations were off by a few decimals?Did anyone call people dumb? Where you really trying to help the OP or just let out your jealousy?

Not only do you lack decorum in your words, you also don't know when you have lost and when to learn from your mistakes. Hopefully the OP revealing his highest offer and also his outbound strategy shuts you up for a bit. You act like you know a lot but still have lots to learn, not just in domaining, but also with how to treat others both online and offline.

In other threads, users most definitely have belittled others looking for an appraisal. Second, you seem to not know when you lost. You cite the most ridiculous of things. Third, the OP sounds a bit fake to me...he spent $5k on a basic wordpress site that doesn't even work properly, is apparently getting offers of $50k plus, but hasn't taken any of them and hasn't gotten any lowball offers at all. Something sounds fishy with this entire thread.

•••
Believe it or not, most people here can't make the distinction between a domain name and a business. Once you are selling something that has a business with it, or will benefit from a business that has been recently used (similar line of business), then that is not a pure domain name, as the biggest value comes from the business that was built with time and money. So, this wasn't really a domain name appraisal. The people offering you the money will benefit from the work that you have done, and the money that you have spent. So, whatever they believe it is worth will determine the value. Most still won't understand what I have said even after I spelled it out.

It was only toward the end of this thread that I saw that it was a business and not an idle domain name like your first post said. The name did not bring as much value to your business as most here would believe. The name is not worth a lot as a stand alone name. Period.

Last edited:
•••
This reminds me of a thread at another forum about a worthless name Pizzerias.com. The owner said he had an offer for 40K (lie). The name is crap, as nobody looks for pizza by typing in pizzerias. In fact, nobody looks for pizza that way. I was proved right, as the goof was putting up national pizza coupons on the site (trying to). That name was worthless, but was very similar to this name.

What is funny is that there aren't any recent posts on that NYCLawyers.com blog (that I can see), so maybe it is fake. I don't care. I just know that the name as a domain name only isn't fooling anybody with a clue. If the business (that includes a domain name) is generating a ton of leads and multiple settlements, then you are a fool if you sell it for 55K (the business). But then again, this whole thing is potentially a big waste of time scam designed to create some fake interest, so you guys have at it without me. You should have stated the facts in your first post so I didn't waste time giving you a solid appraisal for a domain name.

Last edited:
•••
So many paragraphs.

I mean like geez, Maybe you should link end users to this thread.

•••
In other threads, users most definitely have belittled others looking for an appraisal. Second, you seem to not know when you lost. You cite the most ridiculous of things. Third, the OP sounds a bit fake to me...he spent $5k on a basic wordpress site that doesn't even work properly, is apparently getting offers of $50k plus, but hasn't taken any of them and hasn't gotten any lowball offers at all. Something sounds fishy with this entire thread.

Ridiculous? I guess people the people that have liked my posts must be ridiculous also? Look I get your trying to act tough and all, but its not working. What I have shown is the most basic way of valuing a domain, it gets a lot more complicated depending on who you talk to because there are some geniuses out there that have far more complicated and meticulous approaches to domain valuation. What I cite are real tangible numbers that you can take to the bank when someone is looking to buy your name. When someone asks you where did you get that valuation on an emd, what are you going to say? Are you going to spew rhetoric and start talking like you know what people want? Or are you going to get serious and actually bring something of value to the negotiation table? If your asking for 5 figures you have to have tangible information and numbers approving your valuation not just the first 500 words that come into your mind, this is a business after all.

If the OP only contacted marketing agencies that met his criteria then of course there would be a divergence in the value of offers he receives in comparison to if he just went full out and tried to market it to everyone. As to him not accepting the 55k offer, that's up to him if he has a magic number he wants to stick to, let him be that's his business not ours, all we can wish him is good luck and hope he gets something good out of it. We are here to help him aren't we? Or did you think otherwise?

Last edited:
•••
Changed my mind and calling this a total scam. See ya. The site is a scam. No posts on the blog in over a year (would never happen if the site was generating real leads). Three twitter followers. Get out of my face. Bye bye.

Last edited:
•••
These appraisal threads are always interesting - fascinating to hear the different methods and see how strongly people can feel about them.

At this point any potential buyer can find these appraisals in Google. I'm not sure how many people really understand yet that exact match domains are not what they used to be. Anyway, the ultimate evaluation is what someone actually pays.

If the site really cost 5k then the job is, well, unfinished. It does not use https and when tested from NYC took 3.4s to load.

Last edited:
•••
Another angle: look at similar domains - are they in use? Seriously developed?

http://www.nyc-lawyers.com/ developed site, vintage 1996-2008, real law firm.
nyc-lawyer.com parked page, for sale €899 at Sedo
https://www.nyclawyer.com/ developed basic page for real lawyers

By the way, the link to the developer on the nyclawyers site does not resolve - looks like repurpose.ly dropped and is now on park.io

Somehow at times that looks like nyClawyer - someone who claws money out of you.

Last edited:
•••
The original owner of the domain was 78 years old. He bought it in '94 and never did a thing with it. Not even a 'for sale' landing page. It was just 404k page not found for 20+ years.
It's being sold as part of his estate that is being split amongst the kids.

Helpful hint: check archive.org

http://web.archive.org/web/19970711223812/http://www.nyclawyers.com/

Live site for Steinberg and Ross lawyers 1997, more usage after that

Then this end 2011 - http://web.archive.org/web/20111203025329/http://nyclawyers.com/home.html

Hantman & Associates, a New York based law firm with affiliated offices in Florida1 and New Jersey, is a dynamic and aggressive law firm that is devoted to providing our clients the best personalized legal services at competitive rates.

•••
this whole thread is the best proof of why domainers' appraisals are as useful and valuable as estibot's and such...
entertaining fact to consider if you still ask for appraisals..

•••
Ridiculous? I guess people the people that have liked my posts must be ridiculous also?

Really? Where are those people exactly? Looking back over this thread, my posts have gotten more likes than yours have. And as another member stated, this thread sounds like a fishy scam. Nothing adds up and even an idiot wouldn't spend $5k on an unfinished blog that anyone can easily throw together.

•••
Really? Where are those people exactly? Looking back over this thread, my posts have gotten more likes than yours have. And as another member stated, this thread sounds like a fishy scam. Nothing adds up and even an idiot wouldn't spend $5k on an unfinished blog that anyone can easily throw together.

Thanks for ruining the thread with nonsense :)

•••
Thanks for ruining the thread with nonsense :)

And who are you to say that? Are you playing God? Your opinion isn't the only one that exists. You are the one that ruined the thread. As you can see, there are a number of people on here that agree with me.

•••
And who are you to say that? Are you playing God? Your opinion isn't the only one that exists. You are the one that ruined the thread. As you can see, there are a number of people on here that agree with me.

Thanks for ruining the thread :).

•••
Thanks for ruining the thread :).

Seeing as how you are the one that ruined it...I will say it to you. Thanks for ruining the thread.

•••
Seeing as how you are the one that ruined it...I will say it to you. Thanks for ruining the thread.

Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night. Everyone reading this thread can see your character for what it truly is, I can't wait until you try and pull this sh*t on a better name...I'll be bringing popcorn to the slaughterhouse for that :)

•••
Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night. Everyone reading this thread can see your character for what it truly is, I can't wait until you try and pull this sh*t on a better name...I'll be bringing popcorn to the slaughterhouse for that :)

Is there something wrong with you? Are you the only one allowed to have an opinion? Do you not notice that about half of the responders agreed with my viewpoint? You aren't God, so stop acting like him.

•••
Um I think we need a new section of the site for appraisals of domainers, not domains.

•••
I have yet to see one real live human stating that they would buy it today as a stand alone domain name for even a fraction of most of the outrageous high appraisals. Until you can show that a human being who is breathing is willing to buy it now, then the name is worth just a few hundred dollars.

I will give you people a hint. When names that have real value are put up for appraisal, others jump into the thread and/or PM the thread starter with offers. The name is borderline worthless in that if you paid a few hundred for it what do you have? You get nothing until you actually build a business around it, which you can do with any number of domain names. So, the value comes when you build the business. This name does not add any real extra value to what you are doing. Sure, it makes sense, but it will never bring you anything that couldn't be had with any other reasonable $100 domain name. Get it now?

•••
I have yet to see one real live human stating that they would buy it today as a stand alone domain name for even a fraction of most of the outrageous high appraisals.

Ok I'll kick off. I am offering $50.00 for this domain.

•••
I see @slader23 @deez007 and some other reasonable domainers here making reasonable points with good analysis to appraise the OP's domain but the rest are just bunch of dumb comments with no good points, trying to make the OP sell his domain for them in the backend at low XXX so they can anonymously flip it for XXXXX... :wacky:

•••
Ok I'll kick off. I am offering $50.00 for this domain.

@slader23 Step right up, now is the time to put your money where your mouth is. What is your bid @slader23 ? I'm sure you will be bidding up to around $25,000-$30,000, seeing as how you think it is worth at least twice that, you can easily flip it, right?

•••
Approach 500 domainers and not a one of them will ever pay 5K for it. Domainers know the value of domains. If there was a reasonable chance that someone out there in the world would buy it for more than 5K, then someone would snap it up and wait to get lucky and sell it.

So far $50 seems to be the high bid from what I can see. I suspect someone here will state that they would be willing do pay 1K for it, but I really doubt that they would. The proof is in the pudding. Lame name. Cancerous name in that it is already taking up hours upon hours of the OP's time, and he has already spent 5K (so he says) on the website. Then you factor in the fact that he must have spent a total of at least 100 hours on the site, and you get to the point where the name is worth a negative number quite easily, in that the OP would have been better off financially in his life if he had never encountered the name.

I believe that the OP is lying when he states that the name has already led to multiple lawsuit settlements. If that were the case, the name would be a gold mine and all you would have to do is sit back and do nothing, as the leads came in. And if what he states is true (and it likely isn't), that would be a gravy train that you would not give up for less than 100K, and probably multiples of 100K. Do you guys understand yet?

Last edited:
•••
If there was a reasonable chance that someone out there in the world would buy it for more than 5K, then someone would snap it up and wait to get lucky and sell it.

To be fair, it is an appraisal thread not a sales one, and people often give two values, one for reseller ie selling to a domainer, and one for selling to an end-user. But some people put a high value on their opinions or their domains and object strongly to the valuations you get. If you ask for an appraisal, well, you asked for it and Mr Google never forgets.

•••
You don't quite understand. A name's value is predicated on what percentage of the time you can sell it for a certain price. If there was any reasonable chance at all that it could be sold for a large amount, someone would be willing to buy it for a few K. If you don't understand that, then there is nothing to say. For example, there are three letter dotcoms that are worth 10K no matter what, and there is a reasonable chance that you could get very lucky and get a lot more. So, many people would buy the name for 10K. These appraisal threads are all alike. Full of horrific ideas, bad analysis, and pipe dreams, usually being offered by people who would not put up their own money to buy the name at anywhere near the price that they say it is worth.

Someone who is not willing to buy the name themselves near a price that they appraise it for cannot be taken seriously about anything regarding domain names.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back