Domain Empire

Numbers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello Everyone,

I see the vast majority of worthwhile names have no numbers. However, there are occasions when I believe that short names (say three or four letters) followed by a number(s), are on offer for big money.
I would think that the short name would be better if it was a dictionary name, but how long - and what numbers are we talking about?
Can they be practicable if the name has two, three or even four digits?
Which numbers are popular - and why?
(I believe I read that the number 8 is popular in China or Japan).
Has anyone sold or have a name similar?
Can anyone give me an example of this type of name which has been sold for a substantial price?

Thanks to any replies.
charbar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Numbers that come instantly to mind is something like 123 (ie freehosting123). If it was a good number/combo of numbers, ie, 888, 123, 001, the domain would sell for allot if it had a good name following the numbers. Though you have to be careful when having numbers in a domain name though.

-Josh

•••
123 and 247 (24/7) with some nice one word name would be a valuable domain :imho:

•••
I prefer to stay away from numbers. The problem is is you have Slipknot1.com and you tell it to someone, it could be SlipknotOne.com. For numbers like Something21, it's not very likely it's going to be SomethingTwentyOne.com...it's a bit too long.

Numbers I would like are 2 digits dot coms, 3 digit dot coms, or 4 digit dot coms. 2 digits can be said as a single 2-digit number. 3 digits can be a single 3-digit number and 4 digits can be 2 2-digit numbers. The only number that I wouldn't want would be 0 and that's only when the number starts with 0. The reason is anything like 10, 12, 16, 20, or 54 can be said normally without any confusion, but something like 05 is a bit different. You don't normally say leading zeros, but saying 5 would be wrong. "Oh Five" would be the popular way of saying it, but then it could be confused with o5. "Zero Five" would be the right way, but no one really says that.

Basically, I prefer all letters, or all numbers (up to 4 digits) without any leading zeros. That includes a leading zero on the second 2-digits of of a 4 digit domain, like 4308 "Forty-Three Oh Eight". You can kinda assume that the "oh" is a 0 because everything else is, but I still would rather have something else.

•••
...thanks for replies, fellas..any more?
How about two numbers against three - best?..
Two numbers the same and two different - best?
I know you can go on and on, but I'd like to know your favourite combos. (and why).
Thanks again,
charbar.

•••
Adding numbers to a domain is just like adding any other prefix or suffix. The of the domain will be minimal compared to its not suffixed counterpart, but you may find something that sounds good enough to make a brandable domain about of a generic term.

123 and 247 were mentioned as good suffixes. I also like 411 (meaning information, like Travel411.com) and 911 (indicating emergency, like Recipe911.com) and 101 (Domains101.com as a class about domains for instance).

While developable, don't expect these kind of names to be appraised very highly.

Best of luck,

-RJ-

•••
One Hot Item that is getting regged by the Dozen at present
is 360XBOX or XBOX360 names.
Only Names where the number is an essential part of the name
should be regged.

Just regging something like
CrappyNames12.com does not make sense

•••
Good question
I am of the opinion that each case should be treated singularly, even more I think generalization it is good only as guidelines but should be carefully avoided since has very bad impact on the market of Domain Names and their marketability.
The probelm with numbers it is when a Domain is sayd by speaking , but it apply mostly for that names where numbers are used inappropriately, that make persons not understand without explaining..
In many other cases numbers represent no a problem , say for examle xbox360.com now it would be in your opinion, more easy to explain as is (360 in ciphres) or try to explain to write the number 360 extended in letters?
I imagine one answer: whaaat, you want I write all this stuff letter by letter, why the hell you didn't called with three simlpe numbers? (just kidding)
To not mention the possibility of
miss-typing it and the disturb to only digit it each time...
Numbers are in some case even better ...
Of course they are few, but just for this , being rare and not easy to find or to invent , should worth much more .
The time will tell.
I am on time. (Forgive the little act of presumption)

Hoping have being helpful.

Rep added for the valuable question.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back