NP's 2018 World Cup Thread, Predictions, News and Fun

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johname

Planet FutbolTop Member
Impact
2018-Russia-World-Cup-NP.jpg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1-1 not 2-2 lol
My mistake, sorry.Indeed 1-1. I misheard the speaker of the TV.
I should better go and look to the match. Anyhow luckily I'm recording the match :)

Last edited:
•••
Ball possession doesn't mean much in theses games...
DhCAEKfW0AAzbIs.jpg

The Spain - Russia game clearly showed the injustice of penalty kicks after 2 15min extra times.

It essentially became a game of chance. Nothing more.

Spain was the vastly superior team. In the 2nd half and especially in extra times, they were starting to get into their rhythm and play the quality of game we're used to seeing them play in the past. Imagine what they could've played like in quarter finals! But that's all we can do now, imagine.

Clearly, the worse team won and the quality of this WC2018 went down going forward.

Why doesn't FIFA use these factors to judge the winner (but only in extra times):
  1. Ball possession
  2. Shots on goal
  3. Yellow cards
  4. Red cards
Have neutral judges and if there is tie between the judges, only then go to penalty kicks.

This will ensure that only the best teams move forward. And we, as fans, get to see the best football possible.

•••
I think the way both played make this bit unpredictable.

it could go either way.

•••
The Spain - Russia game clearly showed the injustice of penalty kicks after 2 15min extra times.

Spain was the vastly superior team. In the 2nd half and especially in extra times, they were starting to get into their rhythm and play the quality of game we're used to seeing them play in the past. Imagine what they could've played like in quarter finals! But that's all we can do now, imagine.

Clearly, the worse team won and the quality of this WC2018 went down going forward.

Why doesn't FIFA use these factors to judge the winner (but only in extra times):
  1. Ball possession
  2. Shots on goal
  3. Yellow cards
  4. Red cards
Have neutral judges and if there is tie between the judges, only then go to penalty kicks.

This will ensure that only the best teams move forward. And we, as fans, get to see the best football possible.

Wow!!

I think that is one point of view that is surely to be unpopular to the vast majority of football fans around the world.

Its always been like that, its what makes this the most popular sport on earth.

Winning & losing is part of it.

•••
Both Croatia and Denmark are attacking well better and it's more interesting .Use Ball possession to create chances not pass the ball around like Spain did and got knocked out in penalties.Always attack even when you are a goal down.Croatia did that and got an equalizer.Anyone can get knocked out now so check your predictions and redo them .

•••
Wow!!

I think that is one point of view that is surely to be unpopular to the vast majority of football fans around the world.

Its always been like that, its what makes this the most popular sport on earth.

Winning & losing is part of it.

Winning & losing is part of every sport. But it is how you determine the winner. In this case, the better team lost (Spain).

If you give an inferior team the chance to win in penalties (a chance not based on skill per se), then the quality of the game goes down. Because that team will do everything to keep the game at a tie and as a result, the overall quality of the game goes down.

I am viewing this from a neutral point of you (not nationalistic), and purely as a fan of football, which I have been all my life (originating from Europe).

This is not what makes football the most popular sport on earth. But it is a source of frustration (penalties to determine winners) for football fans the world over. I hear it all the time.

•••
Winning & losing is part of every sport. But it is how you determine the winner. In this case, the better team lost (Spain).

If you give an inferior team the chance to win in penalties (a chance not based on skill per se), then the quality of the game goes down. Because that team will do everything to keep the game at a tie and as a result, the overall quality of the game goes down.

I am viewing this from a neutral point of you (not nationalistic), and purely as a fan of football, which I have been all my life (originating from Europe).

This is not what makes football the most popular sport on earth. But it is a source of frustration (penalties to determine winners) for football fans the world over. I hear it all the time.
They had 90 minutes and didn't win but had more ball possession.That doesn't count .They let it slide to penalties and lost .I like Spain but I don't feel they are the better team because Russia lost .They lost because penalty was the only way to determine the winner after all final whistle and Russia won .

•••

The goal keeper saved two penalties (Spain missed two shots on goal).

Football is not determined by shots on goal but rather by (goals).

The quality of football has been on the rise, keeps rising & will keep rising.

But sure, you as a (football fan) are fully entitled to have your own opinion.

I respect it.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
They had 90 minutes and didn't win but had more ball possession.That doesn't count .They let it slide to penalties and lost .I like Spain but I don't feel they are the better team because Russia lost .They lost because penalty was the only way to determine the winner after all final whistle and Russia won .

I just enjoy a good quality game by good teams. I guess winner/loser is of secondary importance for me. That's why I want to see the best teams progress. But that's just me. :xf.wink:

•••
  1. Ball possession
  2. Shots on goal
  3. Yellow cards
  4. Red cards

FIFA are already using the Yellow/Red card as one of the criteria for elimination of one of the teams in case of equal points + equal goals scored and suffered as was the case of Group H where Japan and Senegal ended up exactly the same. but Senegal had to pack their bags because they had 6 yellow cards vs 4 yellow cards for Japan.

DgyklZaUEAAotpv.jpg

Your proposal of:
  1. Ball possession
  2. Shots on goal
Would be a bad idea and would cause confusion and anger for the crowd.

Personally I'd like to see a different points system in the group stages, whereby a team would get more points if they scored more goals, instead of the normal 3 points for a win.

As an example: if a team scored by a difference of 3 goals they should get 1 extra point, if the difference was 4 goals then they should get an extra 2 points or something in this line of thinking.

This would almost force teams to play attacking football instead of playing defensibly.

•••
The goal keeper saved two penalties (Spain missed two shots on goal).

Football is not determined by shots on goal but rather by (goals).

The quality of football has been on the rise, keeps rising & will keep rising.

But sure, you as a (football fan) are fully entitled to have your own opinion.

I respect it.

Thanks

The goals should come during regular play, though.

I still believe that penalties is more a game of chance as opposed to the regular play of football, which is all skill. For example, the two penalty saves are more chance than skill. Especially the one that bounced off of the goalies' foot (pure luck).

So far, I find the play at WC2018 disappointing with a few exceptions (Portugal v Spain, Uruguay, Brazil, and France). But we are only just past the half-way point. So still lots to go. Looking forward to seeing England still. Haven't had a chance to watch them play yet. Heard good things.

What is better at this WC is the refereeing (with the video replays). But the actual play overall not so much. So far.

But I do respect your opinion as well.

•••
FIFA are already using the Yellow/Red card as one of the criteria for elimination of one of the teams in case of equal points + equal goals scored and suffered as was the case of Group H where Japan and Senegal ended up exactly the same. but Senegal had to pack their bags because they had 6 yellow cards vs 4 yellow cards for Japan.

Your proposal of:
  1. Ball possession
  2. Shots on goal
Would be a bad idea and would cause confusion and anger for the crowd.

Personally I'd like to see a different points system in the group stages, whereby a team would get more points if they scored more goals, instead of the normal 3 points for a win.

As an example: if a team scored by a difference of 3 goals they should get 1 extra point, if the difference was 4 goals then they should get an extra 2 points or something in this line of thinking.

This would almost force teams to play attacking football instead of playing defensibly.

This could actually make the group stage a lot more interesting to watch and prevent stronger teams to play the game (play to tie or win just by 1 goal) to make it more difficult for rivals to get through. I think that this accounted for many strong teams underperforming.

•••
I just enjoy a good quality game by good teams. I guess winner/loser is of secondary importance for me. That's why I want to see the best teams progress. But that's just me. :xf.wink:
Spain had more known stars but I couldn't see how many chances they created .Diego Costa didn't get more ball plays .If they were giving him more passes ,I am sure something would have happened .I love Spain to go through because I like to see more interesting displays of attacking football but this time around ,this wasn't the Spain most teams dread.

Last edited:
•••
Extra time for Denmark & Croatia.

Denmark? Croatia?

•••
Extra time for Denmark & Croatia.

Denmark? Croatia?
Denmark playing more desperate .If it results in a penalty ,I'm sure they would depend on their keeper.

•••
Denmark playing more desperate .If it results in a penalty ,I'm sure they would depend on their keeper.

heading to penalties I think.

•••
I'm rooting for Denmark...
DhC2OjgXUAAsqHv.jpg

1530474935065_lc_galleryImage_Denmark_s_fans_cheer_duri.JPG

Don't lose your head Schmeichel...
1530476173537_lc_galleryImage_Soccer_Football_World_Cup.JPG

Last edited:
•••

1. Ball possession
  2. Shots on goal
  3. Yellow cards
  4. Red cards

This won't work as instead of playing quality football, the players would be motivated to game the system. They would try to get superior on ball possession, shots on goal etc. instead of scoring goals, as the former is much easier than the latter. Diving already became shamefully huge, one can imagine what would happen if FIFA starts using the above or similar factors for judgement. The quality would go down further.

•••
Wow.I said it .Denmark has a good keeper.Croatia just missed an opportunity to go through easily .Let's see what happens in few minutes.

•••
•••
•••
Another Penalty Shoot-out... that's 2 in one day...

Hey @wwwulff do you still have any nails left?
DhC-mg2W0AEhiaq.jpg

Last edited:
•••
CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY MATCH !
Both team deserve to win but CROATIA go to quarter final !

Last edited:
•••
•••
Denmark blew it .Their penalty takers shoot too low.Congratulations to Croatia.This was a a more exciting game then the one before.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back