Dynadot

information Not all CHIPS are equal. Buy and sell better

NameSilo
Watch
As in all languages the frequency of letter use, especially Initials offers better opportunities to sell more often at higher prices.
Having studied Chinese/PinYin for 2 years, it was always apparent to me, some letters are used way more often than others.
I looked at the 1000 most used words and worked out the initial letter frequency.
This is my summary which correlates with my experience of having worked in China for 2 years. Ofcourse I will defer to any Chinese person who knows the nuances of the language but from the raw data I think its accurate and useful if investing in CHIPS. Also those letters which are considered both premium in English and Chinese must be where the smart money is.

Premium ZYXSJHDB
Semi Premium WQTNMLKGC
Non Premium RPFEA

Yes there is E and A Notably Ai is Love and Er is the number 2

Also explains why we see some outliners. RPF are not worth as much as ZYX

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
For example:

shai.pw (Shanghai love) sold at $40:
Benmi
Shanghai - 24 mil population, largest China city

They aren't many of these sold on Benmi as Chinese sit on them.

Find the gems among your chips and you'll make huge money.

•••
This is a very interesting and informative thread but then you see a domain like EQV.com sell for $47.5K, with a vowel and a V and makes you scratch your head.

Per the OP:
Premium ZYXSJHDB
Semi Premium WQTNMLKGC
Non Premium RPFEA

•••
This is a very interesting and informative thread but then you see a domain like EQV.com sell for $47.5K, with a vowel and a V and makes you scratch your head.

Per the OP:
Premium ZYXSJHDBW
Semi Premium QTNMLKGC
Non Premium RPFEA

Need to be careful here - there can be some shenanigans going on with GoDaddy auctions, all legit but it designed to pump and dump. EVQ.com was owned by a brokerage firm and they still have the ability to renew the name and stop any transfer.
How this pump and dump works is taking advantage of the GoDaddy's expired auction.
The brokerage firm could have easily let the name expire and it automatically goes to GoDaddy's expired auction. The original owner then pumps up the auction price. Once the auction has closed. The original owner has 7 days to renew the name and this cancels the auction. It happened with TVQ.com.
Not saying this has happened but I'm waiting to see the changes to the name servers in the next 7 days as its still possible for the auction to be cancelled.

Also any CHIP 3L.com minimum is now over $60k but I fully agree its way over what you would expect. Low $20K would be normal.

•••
Google translate can be used to find end user suitable meanings for almost all chips.

•••
Interesting stat from Tom Jennings, Snap Names Director of Business Development.
That the number of registered domains owned in China is equivalent to 1 in 50 of the population. Compared to Europe and US its nearer to 1 in 6. Plenty of room for growth.

Last edited:
•••
That is an interesting stat.

•••
And now no LLLL.xyz left. All registered
These are strange times. Driven I suspect by the low prices but this is still half a million names in an extension that 99.9% of the population has not heard of. Feels unsustainable. I dont have the heart to invest in the nGTLDs much more comfortable with .coms

•••
All CCC.xyz have gone today

•••
CCC is about 36,000 domains.

•••
All CCC.xyz have gone today
My CCC.xyz checks kept lagging out altogether. Shame, I would have liked to have picked up some CCC.

•••
What is the interest of CHIP buyers in domains with dash, say L-N.com or L-L.com? Is the dash disliked like in the US, or accepted as in EU?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back