.nfo Country names!

SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

wot

Top Member
Impact
3,799
An earlier thread promted me to look a little more deeply at the .info county name allocation.

Like many people I thought they were reserved.

Ref: SEC/020/0504 May 2004

Aide Memoire

Subject: Procedure for the Reservation of
reserved Country Names in Dot Info

Summary

Following GAC advice, the ICANN Board reserved country names in the newly created Dot Info Domain. This decision was taken in March 2002. In the past two years a number of names have been assigned to the countries concerned who have requested them, but many still remain to be assigned and used.

The advantages of using your “country-name.info” are that your government may increase the visibility of your country on the World Wide Web and you discourage future mis-use of such names. The actual names that are reserved are based on the ISO 3166-1 standard which is also the standard used for the definition of ccTLD country code Registries. Names are reserved in national languages and in English. Thus certain countries have multiple names. The full list of reserved names is published at:

http://www.afilias.info/whois_search/reserved_names


You might just like to do a little check and just see how many are owned not by countries but by individuals.

My contribution England.info , Wales.info , India.info - it may well be that the "owners" are representatives of the specific countries - but I am sure you guys will sniff that out? :hi:
 
Last edited:
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
thats what I was wondering when India.info dropped. I went to the website to find "In Dia Honey" being sold. wtf?
 
0
•••
the link you gave is dead, it is meant to be http://www.afilias.info/whois_search/reserved_names

very interesting and I think I have a very small country I registred once, I can't find it when looking through my database so I guess it is not that significant. :D
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

New in Parking: updated way to act on many domains or inquiries at once
Your domain list and inquiry list now have a bar above and below the list. Check the items you want, then choose an action in the bar...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back