Domain Empire

News from US Congressional Hearing on ICANN Today

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
News from the U.S. Congressional hearing on ICANN this morning:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060920/ap_on_hi_te/internet_governance_9

News account reads to me like ICANN got their hands slapped a bit.

An excerpt:

"The U.S. Commerce Department said Wednesday it will extend its oversight of the California organization that handles domain name policies, while finding ways to improve the group's accountability and transparency.

Commerce plans to renew a memorandum of understanding with ICANN, but it will likely add provisions designed to address complaints that the group is sometimes too secret and makes decisions that don't reflect the Internet community at large, Kneuer said."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was at this hearing. Representatives from every constituency besides domainers were present. Some group should consider expanding itself to fill this void; GoDaddy ended up coming off like the voice of consumer domain-buyers, and while the two groups' interests aren't necessarily totally divergent, there are differences. And senators present at this hearing obviously knew nothing about any of this stuff (one of them, who had forgotten to turn off his mic, prior to the hearing's start asked another senator "what the heck is GoDaddy?").

Anybody feel free to drop me a PM if you want to chat more.

ripley.

Last edited:
•••
ripley said:
And senators present at this hearing obviously knew nothing about any of this stuff (one of them, who had forgotten to turn off his mic, prior to the hearing's start asked another senator "what the heck is GoDaddy?").

Sounds remarkably similar to the godady TV commercial.
:D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back