Dynadot

New TLD's useless here is why

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

idomainappraisal

Account Closed (Disallowed)
Impact
OK first I'm a .com is king kind of guy

Second, the O.co disaster proved anything but .com lost over 50% of public in trying to brand a tld outside of .com

Yet, after seeing a .dating name I thought, hmmm, that can't be bad for a dating site

So I start to check .dating keywords and stumble across .love

Got a killer LOVE word for .LOVE

So the usual production begins

Host site
Install wordpress
Install plugins
Get all the social media accounts ready
Do some custom work on what needs to happen

Bingo site is ready to launch after we do what we would charge 50K to 200K for

Try to get a cloud app for less

So I test the url to a person I know to test

GUESS WHAT android doesn't consider it a tld

LOVE

So zero chance it can go viral now, since anyone that sends the url to a friend via text which is huge in doing viral net promotion, well the links to the sites won't work

So if you are still drinking the .tld cool aid think about that now

You put 5 Million into TV or Radio and everyone goes to the .com
You can't get one person from a text link since the tld is not recognized by google for android

That's why .com is KING

I can't believe I wasted some time with a .love TLD

Anyone else notice their great keywords.tld are not clickable in a text?

haha

Just more reason to sing .COM IS KING

Some of the dead tld's so far I found

.mom
.estate
.dating
.love

CC tld's are of course clickable

.co is clickable
old tld's are too
.biz
.mobi

.pro is clickable that's a good sign

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I bet 9 out of 10 users of snapchat have never even been to the dot com.

•••
I am in the other side. I am positive about new gTLDs. Even big companies moving to their own nTLDs instead of .COMs

Barclays is a major bank and already moved to home.barclays

Other big companies already grabbing their own newTLDs.
examples: Volvo, Rogers, Walmart, HDFC, Reliance Industries India, Sams Club, Ubank Australia, HBO, Capital One, McDonalds, Amex, CBS, GAP, QVC, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Target, Athleta, NBA, FIAT, Ferrari, Citi, Honeywell, Best Buy, Staples and lot more...

For me it's the beginning of ending of .COM popularity.

•••
i think the new Gs are dying actually..

https://www.thedomains.com/2017/02/07/rightside-lowered-sell-rating-zacks-research-shares-8/

if they don't make it after 5 years they never will. 1-2 years from now nothing will have changed.

if you look at the Namescon auction or Dynadot expired domains you will see expensive renewals and no bids for the new TLDs and bids with low renewals for .com

if they are selling so well why aren't domainers bidding on them?

Last edited:
•••
Just the way, people in the new markets thought Facebook is the internet till sometime ago, most of the people, new market or matured market, imply websites mean .COM. Only few know there is .NET or .ORG or .CO, let alone .click or .dating or .whatever.

With that said, I don't think, new gtlds are dead; they'll take many years to mature as .COM has evolved. What we'll witness is new gtlds fighting for their survival and the best ones being adopted by larger market eventually. That could mean 5 to 10 to 20 years from now. my 2 cents.

•••
The biggest issue with new TLDs is higher pricing and premium pricing. It kills the buying power of buyers and it's hard to renew too.

That's why .COM, .NET and .ORG still leading. Whatever the name you can buy it around $0.99-$15 while most of new TLDs priced beyond $15.

That's why .XYZ TLD leads the newTLD pool which has no real meaning, .TOP in the second place and another useless extension; .win in third place. Same for the .loan extension. I can't find any reason other than the price to lead these domains in the newTLD registrations pool. All three extensions can be purchased below $10.

Still premium names are valued at much more higher values for these newTLDs too. No one buying that domains because of that.

•••
Type ins are dropping fast. The new gees are for vanity purposes mainly. Start typing logan.movie into chrome and it will auto fill or be the first suggestion. Although it forwards to Fox movies .com lol... I don't click links in texts anyway and for security reasons I would suggest everyone be careful about links in texts or emails. This is a non issue for me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back