Dynadot

New Scam? Domain Resale?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Got the following email from a gmail account. Is this a scam?

Dear Sir or Madam,

we are interested to buy your domain name XXXXXXXXX.BIZ and offer to purchase it for 65% of the appraised market value.
As of now we accept appraisals from either one of the following leading appraisal companies:

Sedo
PD Domains
Accuratedomains

If you already have an appraisal please forward it to us.

As soon as we have received your appraisal we will send you our payment (we use Paypal for amounts less than $2,000 and escrow.com for amounts above $2,000) as well as further instructions on how to complete the transfer of the domain name.

We appreciate your business,

Yours truly,

Ben Phillips
Domain Resale

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is quite an old type of scam...
its called appraisal Scam... :D
good that you knew it b4 :)

•••
I got the exact same email today. It is signed only as Domain Resale. It looked to me suspicious. I did an online search and found your post. Thanks for the info.

•••
Yep this is a scam, if someone really was interested in buying your domain theyd just offer you the money straight up after discussing any questions they may have

•••
got the same mail too and ordered an appraisal at
PD Domains
which was the only active link of the three appraisal companies listed.

after having ordered i became aware that this must be a scheme to get the people to do appraisals with "pd domains".

pd domains said they will send the appraisal within 4 days or so, and now, after a week they tell me it will come in another four days. they wrote: "We apologize for this delay. Your are right, it should not take this long, but it just happened that 2 of our appraisers have been sick at the same time."

i will lodge a complaint at paypal now. let's see if i can get back my 20 or so bucks.

•••
i reacted fast enough.

today i used the customer protection program of paypal for the first time in the above mentioned case.

i got back my 22.95 dollars immediately i paid for above mentioned scam. yes it is a scam, the website
www.apprais.co.cc is available is already down.

thank god (hey: and its friday today :)

:bingo:
:kickass:
:laugh:

•••
thanks

they almost had me as well. linking to a reputable company like sedo, (at least they were the last time i looked) and making a 65% of appraised value stuck the hook in, but the grammar: "we are interested to buy your domain name" and a gmail address w/ no apparent connection to the .com seemed suspect, ergo i visited my favorite, (and the #1) domain name site on the net for confirmation. thanks. i must say that the scam has gotten trickier and a bit more sophisticated than it was when it first hit the scene a few years back.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back