Dynadot

New Email Scam- GoDaddy! Beware!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

gatekeeper72

Established Member
Impact
I just came across an email which looked and appeared to be from Godaddy. Here it is:

Godaddy <[email protected]>
3:00 AM (8 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Confirm Your Identify.

An unknown user was trying to login your GoDaddy account with an incorrect password on Monday 12 January, 2015 07:12 GMT, and with an unknown DNS IP Location:
(United States) IP=187.243.38.3, <(changed for obvious reasons) as a result of that we partially blocked your GoDaddy accounts due to major security protocols.

Kindly visit our GoDaddy account Re-Activation Center Click here:
(Link to mirror site of Godaddy to login to your account, taken out for obvious reasons)

We are sincerely sorry for any inconvenience.
GoDaddy Customer Support.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright (c) 1999-2015 GoDaddy.com, LLC. All rights reserved.

So, as you can see it almost looks authentic. Making one think it's godaddy security by the looks of the "from" email, when that's not the case at all! I remembered someone telling me that there are scams out there like this, and if unsure to open a new browser to go to the site itself, rather than clicking the link. So I did, and was able to get in just fine, and my account had not been blocked in any way. So I called Godaddy to let them know about the issue, and just double check that my account wasn't blocked, and they told me that it wasn't, and it was someone trying to get my info, and had me forward the email to them. They told me this was a new scam.
Anyhow, I just thought I would share this, so no one gets scammed by these people, and if you are unsure, open a new browser, use a 2 factor authentication on your passwords in Godaddy, and make sure before you click on any links in any emails.
I hope this helps!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How did he scam email address?

Thanx for sharing. ;)

•••
I don't know..Maybe looked up who is info? I have no idea how they got my email address. But it's a mirror site of Godaddy that phishes for your infor to get into your account.

Also, you are most welcome! I would want to know. Especially If I was new to this whole game. ;)

•••
sec.godaddy.com resolves to uk.godaddy.com for me...strange D-:

•••
Yeah, That's not what the link was that they sent me, but I would beware of uk.godaddy.com just for that reason, as it might not be a version of Godaddy at all. Also, I'm in the U.S. so why would the uk Godaddy be sending me anything? It is strange. But just thought everyone should know about this new scam.. ;)

•••
Thanks for posting this.

•••
Did you check the address to where you would be redirected?
You can hover on the link and it will show you the real site you would be redirected to.
Is it possible to see the link?

•••
Email address can be spoofed.. Anyone can send email from any ids like

[email protected]

•••
I basically NEVER EVER click any links directly in any emails, even if they appear to be genuine.

I just go to my GoDaddy account and perform the necessary operation (eg. transfer confirmations, approval of premium listings via Afternic, etc.) MANUALLY inside my account.

For other accounts or services i always go the manual route as well by accessing my accounts through my browser (sandboxed) and then perfoming whatever is required from me..

Ps: thanks for sharing!

•••
•••
Did you check the address to where you would be redirected?
You can hover on the link and it will show you the real site you would be redirected to.
Is it possible to see the link?
Yes, I did accidentally click on the link at some point. I don't have it anymore, and has been deleted now, but it definitely wasn't a Godaddy in the address bar. It was something I think started with an "L" (Not sure)..But it wasn't Godaddy. They had me forward the email to them, and told me it wasn't them, so hopefully they will take care of it. I just wish that they would catch these thieves, and make an example out of them They told me they get a few calls a day about scam emails. It's so wrong that people can get away with stuff like that, while other people are honest, and hard-working.

•••
I basically NEVER EVER click any links directly in any emails, even if they appear to be genuine.

I just go to my GoDaddy account and perform the necessary operation (eg. transfer confirmations, approval of premium listings via Afternic, etc.) MANUALLY inside my account.

For other accounts or services i always go the manual route as well by accessing my accounts through my browser (sandboxed) and then perfoming whatever is required from me..

Ps: thanks for sharing!
You are most welcome also! Anytime! :)

•••
Yes, I did accidentally click on the link at some point. I don't have it anymore, and has been deleted now, but it definitely wasn't a Godaddy in the address bar. It was something I think started with an "L" (Not sure)..But it wasn't Godaddy. They had me forward the email to them, and told me it wasn't them, so hopefully they will take care of it. I just wish that they would catch these thieves, and make an example out of them They told me they get a few calls a day about scam emails. It's so wrong that people can get away with stuff like that, while other people are honest, and hard-working.

If you clicked on it then be VERY CAREFUL. Change your password immediately and activate the double verification if you are in the US.
Change the password of the email address you connected with GD account.
Run Antivirus and Anti Malware software on your computer.

If they hijacked your email address they can log in to your account, transfer domains out and you will realize it when it's way too late. Way too often domains are disappearing from GD accounts this way lately.

•••
If you clicked on it then be VERY CAREFUL. Change your password immediately and activate the double verification if you are in the US.
Change the password of the email address you connected with GD account.
Run Antivirus and Anti Malware software on your computer.

If they hijacked your email address they can log in to your account, transfer domains out and you will realize it when it's way too late. Way too often domains are disappearing from GD accounts this way lately.

Thanks for your concern. I was running an antivirus when I clicked on it, plus I do use the 2 factor Authentication on Godaddy b/c of all the domain theft that has been going around. It's kind of a pain in the butt, but I think worth it to not get my domains stolen. It Might be a good time to change my password, though..But All are still safe, and plus they would need my phone to get into my account. ;)

•••
The title of this thread is a bit misleading. Godaddy aren't scamming anybody (on this particular occasion) it is just a phishing email. Most people get these regularly in respect of one account or another.

As pointed out above, always hover over the links in the email on things like this and even if they look legit, don't click them. Visit the account in question by typing it in a new browser. It also doesn't hurt to forward the email to the real company (in this case Godaddy).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back