IT.COM

question Need help: Cryptocurrency exchange coming for my .trading domain

NameSilo
Watch

vibed.net

Impact
Hi guys,

a very big and within the crypto world well known cryptocurrency exchange contacted me via their lawyers. I own their trademarked domain name with the extension .TRADING. I used this domain as a referral link shortener, which means I forwarded to their website including my signup referral link. I used this link on Twitter to easily direct my followers to the exchange. There wasn't any bad intention when I registered the domain name. It was not registered during sunrise and for a long time available for public registration. But I guess this does not matter.

Some background info:
- The exchange opened in 2014 and initiated registration of the trademark mid 2017.
- The registration of the trademark was completed mid 2018. (I am not sure which date counts here in terms of legal perspective!)
- I registered the domain name early 2018.

The exchange claims the following:
- I would violate their trademark rights according to l5 USC $l125(a).
- I would violate the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act, 15 U.S.C. S II25(d) because I would have a bad faith intent to profit from the registration of the domain name.
- I would violate the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) because the use of the Domain Name confuses consumers as to the source and/or ownership of the domain.
- They demand that I immediately cease and desist using the Domain Name, transfer the domain registration to the trademark owner, and confirm an agreement to comply
with their request in responding to their office by meeting a deadline.

Actually, I wanted to drop the domain anyway. However, what would you guys do in this situation? I thought to write them that I will transfer the domain name as soon as they provide me with transfer details.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
including my signup referral link

Among other things, you might want to have another look at the terms of that referral program.

•••
Back