IT.COM

analysis NamePros reported outbound sales of 2018 analysis

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Trent1000

Top Member
Impact
I’ve always wanted to see the report completed sales thread’s statistics the way namebio provides their sales reports. But making such statistics even from a single year would require a lot of administrative working hours in front of the PC. Even if you are a time billionaire, you would probably go crazy from the monotony after a few days of work.

So I decided to just focus on outbound sales alone, since that is where my main focus goes these days. I thought the most relevant information would obviously be reports in 2018 and 2017, although I concluded that the data from 2018 alone will be well enough work to do, so I just skipped 2017.

So without further ado here are the statistics of 2018 reported outbound sales from namePros:

disclaimer:
- reports without acquisition price has been ignored.
- reports without acquisition price but using the word ”handregistered” are all marked with the purchase price of $10 in my calculations
- reports hasn’t been fact checked, meaning we shoudn’t assume that all of these sales reports are 100% legitimate. I’ve certainly noticed strange patterns in a few cases. So treat them with a grain of salt.

- Even though some people don't mind getting their names indexed, most of us don't want that, so please don't type names in the thread without using some sort of distortion: use / . * - in between characthers.

Between 01.01.2018 and 31.12.2018 there were 201 outbound sales reports in the Report Completed Sales thread, that matched my criteria:
Total sales value: $149,670
Total investment: $13,663
Total profit: $135,007

Again these are approximate calculations, and obviously these sales reports are just a small portion of total outbound sales in 2018 that hasn’t even reported at all.

But certainly enough data to draw some conclusions.

Transactions handled by:
Out of 201 sales, 153 transactions has remained unknown, or handled by the sellers themselves (76%) . Meaning they never used any third party sales platforms for the domain to ”push” or transfer, but assisted the buyers themselves.

48 transactions involved third party platforms, where Undeveloped.com is by far the leading platform. As we can see below, 28 transactions (14%) has been redirected to Undeveloped.com.

platforms v3.png

platforms v2.png

Domain types:

1. GEO Exact Match Domains: 91/201(45.3 %)
- GEO + KW: 73/91 (81%)
- KW + GEO: 18/91 (19%)

Exact Match Domains (non geo EMD): 65/201 (32.3%)
3. Brandables (madeup, keyword): 27/201 (13.4%)
1 word gtlds (.com, .co, .net, .org): 6/201 (3%)

5. 1 word ngTLDs: 6/201 (3%)
- 1x .social, .finance, .agency, .pro, .rentals, .blog

6. 3L acronyms: 3/201 (1.5%)

7. 1 word ccTLDs: 2/201 (1%)
person names: 1/201 (0.5%)

domain types.png

This proves that even though we are living in the age of brandable domain names, exact match domains are still relevant. Especially GEO EMDs.

Sales prices:

Number of sales.png

1. $200
2. $250
3. $150
4. $100, $299, $350
5. $500

1. $50 - $399 ($xx & low $xxx): 139/201 - (69.1%)
2. $400 - $650 (mid $xxx): 29/201 - (14.4%)
3. $1000 - $3500 (low $xxxx): 20/201 - (9.9%)
4. $650 - $999 (high $xxx): 6/201 - (2,9%)
5. $3500 - $6500 (mid $xxxx): 3/201 - (1.5%)
6. $6500 - $10,000 (high $xxxx): 3/201 - (1.5%)
7. low five figures: 1/201 - (0.49%)

Most of the three figure price range consists of GEO EMDs & EMDs. But what's more interesting is that most of the four figure sales are consists of brandables. So even though brandables might not be as easy to sell as EMDs, they can certainly bring in more profit.

Price in email:

Out of the total 201 sales reports, only 16 mentioned whether initial price was mentioned in the email or not:

Yes: 9/16
No: 7/16

Negotiated Discounts:

discount percentages.png

People are giving large percentage discounts on names. No wonder, 78% of names are handregistered, so there is plenty of room for negotiation.

Purchase Venues:

venues.png

TOP 10 ROI:

top 10 roi data2.png

top 10 roi.png

I attached the excel sheet I worked from, there is a lot more data in it. Feel free to modify it, combine more variables, etc... If you find something I missed feel free to share with us.

Those of you who doesn't use excel, I attached the entire list in a PNG as well

list.png
(open then click open in new window, then click on the zoom symbol, and then you can see it in full resolution. Or save as, open)

So again:
- Even though some people don't mind getting their names indexed, most of us don't want that, so please don't type names in the thread without using some sort of distortion: use / . * - in between characthers. Thanks

Attachments

• Outbound Analytics.xlsx
    75.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Great work. Thanks for the details.

(y)

•••
•••
basically, for $200 usd, you may be able to sell everything

•••
Wonderful Excellent Great :xf.eek:

•••
Nice work, thanks for sharing (y)

•••
I love data. Thanks for this thread!

•••
Very detailed, excellent work @Trent1000, much appreciated.

•••
Maybe I miss something. Why are Sedo and Afternic not in the list. You contact a potential enduser and then sell at Sedo, Afternic, or Escrow.com. Most registrars don't have their own marketplace, and even when they do, buyers may be not comfortable using them. If Undeveloped.com is high on the list this means one thing: People who register and list at Undeveloped.com are good at Outbounding.

•••
Hi,

First of all thanks for doing some hard and smart work behind sharing this post with everyone here. I admire and appreciate that strong quality in you.

Some people raised questions about legitimacy. But it’s irrelevant here or anywhere for 2 reasons. (1) There is no guarantee anywhere that all reported sales are really completed, (2) All names are unique and it has nothing to do with historical sales figure of similar asset class because end of the day it is all about comfort level between buyer and seller considering various situations around their deal.

For me I look this post as very helpful to someone who really wants to learn something new. The smart and hard work done by OP is comandable without any doubt.

Thanks

•••
Thanks @Trent1000

That is great work...

We can clearly see how much effort and time it takes to do this...very thanks.

I missed this thread because of numerous unnecessary self whining threads...can ca change them...

And there is no need of questioning legitimacy...ever everyt clearly mentioned in the opening of thread...just read with opened eyes instead of thinking of how to pick loop holes...

*I certainly thought there will be much more sales than 201... In outbound itself.
*I wish there was also 2017 stat analysis...but can't ask more :)
*Will be looking for next year analysis from you...
*And also any additional stats of other sales is welcomed..
*To all members who are reporting their sales in completed sales thread... please include all the details that will be very helpful gathering overall data.

Thanks,
Ravi

•••
If Undeveloped.com is high on the list this means one thing: People who register and list at Undeveloped.com are good at Outbounding.
I don't think that is the case here. I myself used undeveloped.com for my outbound sales as well for a few times, and not because I'm good at outbound. I'm just a moderately good domainer (I got a bit better after this research though :zippermouth:) but because they are really the optimal choice for outbound.

First of all Undeveloped.com gives more trust for end users who are suspicious about the transaction although very much interested in the domain name.
Having an active 60 day transfer lock in place, having names registered at less known registrars, instead of Godaddy for example, are factors that can derail a deal very easy. But since they want the name, they visit the URL, and let Undeveloped do the rest.

Second, they act as an escrow service automatically when a sale occurs, but they don't require verificiation as far as I'm concerned, on top of that they assist the buyers from the moment they hit BIN to moment the transaction is done. So it makes outbound sales easier for both sellers and buyers.

Third, sellers likes it because they don't sit on your money, they receive funds, transfer the name, and release the money to your preferred payment platform including paypal, no messing around, verificiation, holding your money back without explanation, and non sense that escrow.com does these days.

Last but not least, their interface including their landing page is simple yet modern, nothing chaotic, straight to the point.

I don't want to sound like an Undeveloped advocate, because I am not. But they are really the best choice for outbound, and the numbers proves that too.

I also like Uniregistry's interface, and lander. They would be the closest for me to what Undeveloped offers, but even though I tried a good number of times back in 2017 it never worked out for me.

Thanks @Trent1000

That is great work...

We can clearly see how much effort and time it takes to do this...very thanks.

I missed this thread because of numerous unnecessary self whining threads...can ca change them...

And there is no need of questioning legitimacy...ever everyt clearly mentioned in the opening of thread...just read with opened eyes instead of thinking of how to pick loop holes...

*I certainly thought there will be much more sales than 201... In outbound itself.
*I wish there was also 2017 stat analysis...but can't ask more :)
*Will be looking for next year analysis from you...
*And also any additional stats of other sales is welcomed..
*To all members who are reporting their sales in completed sales thread... please include all the details that will be very helpful gathering overall data.

Thanks,
Ravi

Thanks Ravi, if I'm going to be in the lucky position in 2019 that I've been in late 2018, having some time to kill for research, 2019 data will come too.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think that is the case here. I myself used undeveloped.com for my outbound sales as well for a few times, and not because I'm good at outbound. I'm just a moderately good domainer (I got a bit better after this research though :zippermouth:) but because they are really the optimal choice for outbound.

First of all Undeveloped.com gives more trust for end users who are suspicious about the transaction although very much interested in the domain name.
Having an active 60 day transfer lock in place, having names registered at less known registrars, instead of Godaddy for example, are factors that can derail a deal very easy. But since they want the name, they visit the URL, and let Undeveloped do the rest.

Second, they act as an escrow service automatically when a sale occurs, but they don't require verificiation as far as I'm concerned, on top of that they assist the buyers from the moment they hit BIN to moment the transaction is done. So it makes outbound sales easier for both sellers and buyers.

Third, sellers likes it because they don't sit on your money, they receive funds, transfer the name, and release the money to your preferred payment platform including paypal, no messing around, verificiation, holding your money back without explanation, and non sense that escrow.com does these days.

Last but not least, their interface including their landing page is simple yet modern, nothing chaotic, straight to the point.

I don't want to sound like an Undeveloped advocate, because I am not. But they are really the best choice for outbound, and the numbers proves that too.

I also like Uniregistry's interface, and lander. They would be the closest for me to what Undeveloped offers, but even though I tried a good number of times back in 2017 it never worked out for me.

Thanks Ravi, if I'm going to be in the lucky position in 2019 that I've been in late 2018, having some time to kill for research, 2019 data will come too.

I wish you be in that position...
And also I wish you expand your interests into other methods too..like Brandables.. inbound and other methods...
So you will be doing research about them too... Selfish wish.. :)

•••
•••
Wow!!! @Trent1000 that was "big data" at play. Grateful!!!!!

•••
Great post but..
Total sales value: $149,670 in 1 year!!!?!?!?!?!
That show market is very very very down & i predict will be lower & lower , year by year
if you don't have a premium domain like Cars, Bars, Vars or Mars you can start right now to give up from domain names business

•••
Great post but..
Total sales value: $149,670 in 1 year!!!?!?!?!?!
That show market is very very very down & i predict will be lower & lower , year by year
if you don't have a premium domain like Cars, Bars, Vars or Mars you can start right now to give up from domain names business
Look it's only those that are reported, imagine how many of them remains unknown... we can't really indicate that the market is very very very down without having any reference from previous years.

•••
Look it's only those that are reported, imagine how many of them remains unknown... we can't really indicate that the market is very very very down without having any reference from previous years.
at aprox 7 million domainers on world - yes is very very down

•••
at aprox 7 million domainers on world - yes is very very down

it maybe down, but we can't assume it based on these numbers in this research, since there is no reference whatsoever from previous years. Unless you done your research and you have reference to compare with.

•••
it maybe down, but we can't assume it based on these numbers in this research, since there is no reference whatsoever from previous years. Unless you done your research and you have reference to compare with.
Just say prev. you make a great post & research
Me just present my point of view
Peace,

•••
There are few threads that I save forever. This will be one of them. Thank you!!!!!

•••
You've nield it, you've just set the cornerstone.
Iam sure that the big companies are here now
(NP's sales data is a major key in domaining).

If its possible (later) to start another thread (NP yearly sales report) without comments as reference
maybe the other guys continue the journey in next years (and past years reports of course)
Well done

Mohamed

•••
•••
What meaning GEO EMD???

GEO(city, state, country, etc...) + EMD(exact match domain). For example: Atlanta MarketingAgency dot com
and vice versa EMD + GEO: WebDesigner Boston dot com

•••
Great stats there mate, Thanks. Glad to know a lot of people being successful in outbound. I couldnt even sale one domain.com(handreg) to domains.com or another domains.com(1 yr old) to domain.online and third one domainAI.com(5 yr old) to domain.AI. I have gsuite and a professional email but I dont even get a reply back, even from a professor who sold her AI startup to fb(a private sale reported by a tech site by whois info change) and is planning another AI venture. :(
P.s: I never spammed anyone, just one email in format of professional business letters.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back