Watch

Jake

Senior MemberVIP Member
Impact
www.namepros.mobi

Use the mobalized version.

Its never been blocked for me! :D

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
squid said:
We can't run .bat etc.
We can simply load up ALLOWED programs. So for example, Internet Explorer is allowed to be run, whereas if i tried to run "Firefox.exe" it would recognise that it's not allowed to be ran and would block it. Also renaming to that of Internet Explorer.exe wouldn't work either, because they have to be in a system folder.

Would it be possible to rename firefox.exe to internetexplorer.exe?

try saving the firefox.exe into a folder, on a flash drive (at home), and rename it to internetexplorer.exe or whatever the file name is)

And at school, open from that folder on your flash drive.

•••
Jake said:
Would it be possible to rename firefox.exe to internetexplorer.exe?

try saving the firefox.exe into a folder, on a flash drive (at home), and rename it to internetexplorer.exe or whatever the file name is)

And at school, open from that folder on your flash drive.
...apparently you neglected to read the last part of his post. ;)

On most Windows systems older than Windows Vista, I believe .COM files cannot be restricted as much as .exe files, because often, .com files contain more important windows components, such as command.com - the lovely command prompt.

Open "My Computer" or somehow get Windows Explorer open. I think even Internet Explorer will work. In the address bar, type:

command.com

On my Vista machine here, even, the command prompt opens. With that you can maybe do something like "start firefox.exe". If you can't open command.com from the address bar, go to Internet Explorer (or Netscape if you must) and File->Open. In the filename textbox at the bottom of the dialog box, type "c:\windows\system32" (no quotes). It should show the contents of that directory, even though you couldn't select it in the drop-down menus.

Right-click COMMAND.COM and click "Open".

There are more ways... but is it really *that* important? I mean, these are pretty trivial, but after this, some things can be detectable, and may become downright sneaky. So I'd advise caution on a school network. If you're gonna "hack", (and this goes for anyone) - just "hack" your own computer.

I remember a time my jun. year of high school when I had command prompt open - I was sending a message to a classmate upstairs using net send. (Our class was in the computer lab for a project.) The teacher came over and kneeled down, and whispered harshly into my ear something about reporting me to the A.P. if I didn't "close that window right now" or something. Eh, I did, but ... keep in mind that some people do not like seeing black windows on computer screens.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back