Dynadot

question NameJet Auction Question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have been buying names off NameJet for a few years now, and when a name comes up that I really love, I kind of throw caution to the wind and get into a bidding war. A name came up recently that is perfect for a project I am working on. I knew I would need to be aggressive and overpay, but I like the name. I was the higher bidder, but still well under the 5 figure reserve. Someone came in and bid $1 below reserve with a few days left. I began to scratch my head and second guess if I really wanted this name.

I have seen names sell for a lot on there before, but usually it's a slow gradual bidding war that drives the price up. Seeing someone bid $1 below reserve makes me feel like it is the owner, a friend, or someone linked to the name. I mean, why not bid the extra $1 to unlock the reserve?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I fell victim to this same situation on Namejet several years back. Too much funny business going on there. I'll never bid there again.

Buyer beware.

•••
I have been buying names off NameJet for a few years now, and when a name comes up that I really love, I kind of throw caution to the wind and get into a bidding war. A name came up recently that is perfect for a project I am working on. I knew I would need to be aggressive and overpay, but I like the name. I was the higher bidder, but still well under the 5 figure reserve. Someone came in and bid $1 below reserve with a few days left. I began to scratch my head and second guess if I really wanted this name.

I have seen names sell for a lot on there before, but usually it's a slow gradual bidding war that drives the price up. Seeing someone bid $1 below reserve makes me feel like it is the owner, a friend, or someone linked to the name. I mean, why not bid the extra $1 to unlock the reserve?
That's what it sounds like, some sketchy stuff. At least you can see bidder alias and can figure out who they are with a little research, unlike other auction places like GoDaddy and other registrar auctions.

•••
That's what it sounds like, some sketchy stuff. At least you can see bidder alias and can figure out who they are with a little research, unlike other auction places like GoDaddy and other registrar auctions.

Exactly. So, there were (2) auctions ending yesterday that I was watching and bidding on. The one is the the domain that had the bid pumped up to $1 below reserve, and the other was a far less valuable name, yet it went for way more. Why? Because people naturally fought and battled to bid it up. The name in question that was $1 below reserve, had it been a normal auction, I would have bid the required 5 figures, but, seeing this suspect bidder coming in like that, it made me pull back.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back