Dynadot

NameCheap's New Captcha Blocking Access to my Account

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Today after logging in to NameCheap I was confronted with a captcha: "I am not a robot", check the box. From there it gave 9 random photos and you have to choose which match.

None of them match. I picked similar, over and over. It kept asking for more picks.
The Captcha is broken.

So I went to chat. For more than an hour. On and on. The rep kept wanting me to try the broken captcha again. He had no other plan. My PIN is out-of-date, the captcha blocks access to the new one.

There is currently no way to access my account - at all.

I have had domains at Namecheap off and on for 10 years, always thought their service was quite good... I know NameCheap's owner sometimes reads these posts so I am asking - Has anyone else had problems with the new Namecheap Captcha system?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Had the same problem a couple days ago when I purchased some domains and they were pushed into my namecheap account. I was picking the correct pic's but it kept saying that I wasn't. Then it locked me out of my account, or from trying to login.

If you do a password reset it will unlock your account, I went right in... But they still have an issue..

•••
Seems more like a personality test than an ordinary captcha. I think it comes from Google???

•••
Those are pretty horrible.

The one I encountered recently was "click all the photos including trees" or cars or similar nonsense.

I love the ones that are photos of numbers on a building, for example. Depending on your device, they are often barely legible.

None of them were at NameCheap btw.

•••
Well, I feel lucky then - in my location (AUS) there is only a box to be ticked, and you're in your Namecheap account.

•••
The Captcha is from Google and it is much more than it seems. You get a checkbox if Google already knows exactly who you are. They find out by examining every bit of data they can scrape from your computer - and that's a lot - and comparing it to all their other data - all of which will be held by them forever. There is no notice to the user of any of this.

This is public knowledge:
http://www.businessinsider.com/google-no-captcha-adtruth-privacy-research-2015-2

Namecheap forces most of their customers to use the Google Captcha. NameCheap was promoting "Privacy Week" last week - that just reeks. I wrote a response to their blog and they did not post it or reply.

Last edited:
•••
CAPTCHAs are a lie. They're meant to keep humans out and robots in. They just torture humans.

"The Captcha is broken."

Yep, that's how CAPTCHAs are designed.

The Google **TORTURE** CAPTCHA with blurry images is one that you have to get 30 right in a row to pass and most of the right answers Google has wrong because a bot generated it. Google's CAPTCHAs are always unsolveable by humans and meant just to torture them. However bots easily get by CAPTCHAs. Google typically gets the wrong answer on what is right on their CAPTCHAS because a bot made it but a bot will get the same answer as Google so Google CAPTCHAs keep humans out and only let bots in.

Also thanks for the heads up about Namecheap. I read some post on this forum a few days ago by searching. I don't know if namecheap still does it but basically it said when a domain in namecheap expires, they remove the privacy protection and put your full info out and there's no way to buy the privacy protection to keep it continuing so if you have a website and get bored and close it, well once the domain expires, all your personal info will be out there publcly.

Last edited:
•••
Namecheap uses google.com in their page scripts as sources for web code for the CAPTCHA technologies. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed entire page loads freezing when it came time to loading and preloading resources from Google domains. Too many companies are relying on Google for backend resources. This is a severely poor practice. I've increased my page load times by blacklisting *.google.com addresses in my hosts file and at my routers. I still have to suspend the blacklist if I have to run authentication from some dumb company still using Google resources.
Get with the times, guys! Stop using Google.

•••
I own CaptchaPro.com bought it some time ago, any interest?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back