Dynadot

domains NameCheap Terminating Services to Russian Customers

NameSilo
Watch
Namecheap is apparently terminating services to Russian customers:

Namecheap is asking that customers from Russia transfer their domain names to another registrar by March 6, 2022:

"Unfortunately, due to the Russian regime's war crimes and human rights violations in Ukraine, we will no longer be providing services to users registered in Russia. While we sympathize that this war may not affect your own views or opinion on the matter, the fact is, your authoritarian government is committing human rights abuses and engaging in war crimes so this is a policy decision we have made and will stand by.

If you hold any top-level domains with us, we ask that you transfer them to another provider by March 6, 2022. "

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One of my domains was transferred to them in January and is still under the 60-day lock. And they gave me a 6-day deadline which runs out before the 60-day lock.
If it wasn’t registered 60 days ago but only transferred they will release it manually for you. A 60 day lock on an existing domain is optional and the choice of the registrar. Since they have ousted you they have to release the domain.

•••
Well, I’m from Russia. Here’s how it feels on my side.

First of all, as some have mentioned here, there are many people in Russia who are upset with the war and all that's happening. I won’t lie that everyone is, but in my circle, for instance, that’s the vast majority of people.
Hi thanks for giving your views from inside Russia.

I’m curious who the people are who support this war in Russia. Are they fully aware what is happening and still support it or only support it because they are listening to what Russian state media is telling them what’s happening?

Things I’ve read on social media, most Russian’s don’t agree with it, the ones that do tend to be the older generation who don’t use the internet and use Russian television as a source of information. Even Russian troops have been lied to from the things I’ve watched/read (captured soliders/text messages back home).

Interested to hear more on this, but please don’t reply if you don’t feel it’s safe to do so.

Last edited:
•••
One of my domains was transferred to them in January and is still under the 60-day lock. And they gave me a 6-day deadline which runs out before the 60-day lock.
Their CEO said we will provide additional time if someone requests depending on the situation. You need to contact and explain your situation. Very poorly done by NameCheap. Shocking and sad.

•••
Another stupid mistake. Mixing Business and Politic.
Russian people have nothing to do with the situation. It's the Russian Government.
As of the latest polls made by cnn, only 25% of russians think that the invasion of Ukraine is wrong. Again, what?

•••
Effectively Namecheap is punishing people(individuals) for the decisions of Russian Government!

I've read than Namecheap is like 90% Ukrainian based - so probably everyone should move from them asap since Putin decided to cancel the whole Ukraine as a country and so this could end up with a lot of businesses with work force originating from Ukraine to become inaccessible/bankrupt.

I sincerely hope this war will end soon.

Last edited:
•••
if they do that icann will terminate Namecheap registrar I think...
I don't think that it's wright, godaddy it's doing it at a daily basis for lot's of reasons, nobody it's complaining, for sure they have the right to do it. Even so, it takes lot's , lot's ore to loose ICANN accreditation.

•••
As of the latest polls made by cnn, only 25% of russians think that the invasion of Ukraine is wrong. Again, what?

Yes, and only around 25% of all americans think that assaulting "insert country bombed by USA starting with Yugoslavia" is wrong - lets now block/steal domains from all individuals based in USA. :(

Last edited:
•••
Yes, and only around 25% of all americans think that assaulting "insert country bombed by USA starting with Yugoslavia" is wrong - lets now block/steal domains from all individuals based in USA. :(
First of all, they don't steal anything, they are saying that they don't want to do business with certain countries, no big deal. Amazon it's doing this, paypal it's doing this, most of big companies is doing it. I can share a link to these polls, can you do the same? The only war I remember was the Vietnam one and people were demanding government to get out of it, so they made their opinion clear, it's not the case here.

•••
BTW Namecheap's main office is in Kharkiv, a city currently being heavily bombarded so their decision is understandable to me from emotional(but not rational) point of view.

First of all, they don't steal anything

In some cases their customers indeed will be losing assets simply by not complying with time restrictions or even due to overloaded support (so from their point of view it would be equal to stealing at the end) - imagine a person currently down with Covid in hospital and thus having no internet access and no effective opportunity of moving his/her domains before March 6.

Last edited:
•••
Well, I’m from Russia. Here’s how it feels on my side.

First of all, as some have mentioned here, there are many people in Russia who are upset with the war and all that's happening. I won’t lie that everyone is, but in my circle, for instance, that’s the vast majority of people. In my company, I currently have co-workers in various countries, Ukraine being one them. It’s absolutely absurd for me to take the fact that my Kiev colleagues I’ve just been discussing some work matters with are now hiding with their families in the airshelter from the bombs/missiles sent by my country’s military forces. I admit that Russia might’ve had some grounds for concerns with the certain processes taking place in Ukraine; some have been really frustrating; but the WAR?? Weird and scary. Nobody has expected this. NOBODY. I actually don’t think about us as about two different nations (with all the due respect to the Ukrainian right for identity) – so what’s happening now feels more like the civil war to me, and it’s pain to see this going on. And I’m not alone in my opinion.

So why am I talking about all this? The issue is even not in the domain names. The issue is in the overall perception of the ordinary Russian people, virtually putting the equality sign between them and those making decisions. That's not right. As to the Russian people - yes, we leave in the same country, share the same core values in general and love our country in spite of everyhing - but I believe we have the right to have our own opinion on the certain matters. My taxes going to the “regime”? What’s about schools, medicine, roads, pensions for old-age people? Should we stop paying our taxes and leave this all out according to Namecheap CEO? Or should we just stop earning/eating for the sake of the democracy values? Does he really believe that hitting the tiny fraction of Russians being their customers for years will hit the “regime”? Nonsense. This is definitely more the demonstrative step, trying to be in the ”trend”. Poor decision as from the business side perspective so as in the common morality/ethics aspect.
As I see it, it's like: I have a company, my 'baby', I have my views( right or wrong) so I will do everything to make sure that my company will share the same principles. If that means that I have to make sure that I don't make business with certain countries or stop making business with them to share the same principles, than be it. This is done on all levels, by most companies and most countries.

•••
BTW Namecheap's main office is in Kharkiv, a city currently being heavily bombarded so their decision is understandable to me from emotional(but not rational) point of view.

In some cases their customers indeed will be loosing asserts simply by not complying with time restrictions or even due to overloaded support (so from their point of view it would be equal to stealing at the end) - imagine a person currently down with Covid in hospital and thus having no internet access and no effective opportunity of moving his/her domains before March 6.
In special cases, like these, I expect them to behave like a honest company and help out. I'm talking in general, where they have their right to choose their partners they do business with.

•••
In special cases, like these, I expect them to behave like a honest company and help out. I'm talking in general, where they have their right to choose their partners they do business with.

Honest company will not be giving their customers only a week to transfer asserts.

and help out

ukrainians helping russians with their problems? this is new..

Last edited:
•••
Honest company will not be giving their customers only a week to transfer asserts..
Yes, godaddy has given 24 hours more than once and wasn't a big deal for anybody. Having in mind that on average, a transfer takes 5 days, probably that's the idea of 6 days. Again, not talking about special cases.

•••
•••
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30504812

1646145440123.png

•••
That's very bad decision coming in from NameCheap. Totally unprofessional and bad for those Russians who're not at all involved by any means in this war.

If NameCheap is acting genuinely neutral, then why not ban a country who invades in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. However, I'm against banning user's account from any specific country due to political reasons. Why to mix politics with business/registrar policies!
It's not about politics or business, it's about sharing the same principles. If they are not the same and I'm not happy to do business with somebody, I will not do it. I choose my business partners and they will choose theirs.

•••
Yes, godaddy has given 24 hours more than once and wasn't a big deal for anybody. Having in mind that on average, a transfer takes 5 days, probably that's the idea of 6 days. Again, not talking about special cases.
this is not real. because godaddy.com works fine I have domains with them and they are not asking transfer away.

•••
BTW, the absurdity of the situation is that among those affected by the actions of Namecheap, the number of sympathizers with Ukraine significantly exceeds(I think) the percentage of sympathizers among the rest of the Russian population.

•••
this is not real. because godaddy.com works fine I have domains with them and they are not asking transfer away.
I'm not talking about this situation, I'm talking about months and years ago, when godaddy was requesting businesses to move in 24 hours.

•••
I'm not talking about this situation, I'm talking about months and years ago, when godaddy was requesting businesses to move in 24 hours.
May be it was dangerous garbage websites or domains related to terrorism or breaking US laws?

Last edited:
•••
BTW, the absurdity of the situation is that among those affected by the actions of Namecheap, the number of sympathizers with Ukraine significantly exceeds(I think) the percentage of sympathizers among the rest of the Russian population.
Probably you are right, but also probably that this is one of the few ways to make sure that their follow their principles, with the risk of affecting other that don't deserve it. As an example, two days ago a team of ukrainians should have played against russians and they have refused to do it, but the russians were cheering, so even if they were affected by this, they understood why they are doing it.

•••
May be it was dangerous garbage websites or domains related to terrorism or breaking US laws?
If other companies took them over, probably not illegal, just extreme views. The idea is 24 hours.

•••
I think banning by nationality is stupid this is racism and nothing more.

•••
Compared to Godaddy, Namecheap is currently terminating services for political reasons...

•••
Another stupid mistake. Mixing Business and Politic.
Russian people have nothing to do with the situation. It's the Russian Government.
If you do not understand how basic things work you should not write. Stick to domains please.
Those people chose that government and gave power to it.
Ones life will become harder for them they will turn against the Russian government and take that power back.
For now many of them do not give a fuc...

Well done Namecheap!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back