IT.COM

domains Namecheap refines strategy to fight malicious domains

NameSilo
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
Domain registrar Namecheap, Inc. is being commended for its improved reporting and remediation strategy for malicious domains, though it is unclear what spurred the changes for the company.

Security researchers took to Twitter recently, citing a significant improvement in response time by Namecheap to take down URLs used for phishing attacks, business email compromise and other threats. For example, security researchers at MalwareHunterTeam, which runs the free malware service ID Ransomware, discovered a domain spoofing the National Health Service under the guise of signing up for a digital coronavirus passport. This time, Namecheap took down the phony site within an hour.

"In 2020 alone, Namecheap received 1.27 million abuse reports, representing an 85% increase in support tickets over the prior year," Kirkendall wrote in the blog.

read more (techtarget)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Namecheap is the king registrar of spam.
Most my spam comes from namecheap registered crap extensions like .online
@tamar do you KnowYourCustomers
If you do you know who is registering these domains. Then you know who is behind the 100’s of spam emails i get a day. It did slow down substantially recently

https://whois.domaintools.com/home-assistant.io

The last spam email i check whois, registered at namecheap
All domains associated with above whois should be suspended. That account investigated

•••
•••
They may be spoofing, the end email is
[email protected] But it ends in my inbox. Happens alot. I will admit that site looks legit but i will forward the spam to someone if the want to look at headers.
This subject, namecheap and spam was discussed on a blog and in comments by a few people. I deleted spam this morning, 5 others from outlook so far, this one is from url stated. Maybe they are legit and someone is spamming and somehow making it appear from them. That would suck
Maybe namecheap registered names are easier to spoof, someone stirred pot there

Last edited:
•••
Namecheap is the king registrar of spam.
Most my spam comes from namecheap registered crap extensions like .online
@tamar do you KnowYourCustomers
If you do you know who is registering these domains. Then you know who is behind the 100’s of spam emails i get a day. It did slow down substantially recently

https://whois.domaintools.com/home-assistant.io

The last spam email i check whois, registered at namecheap
All domains associated with above whois should be suspended. That account investigated

NC need a little bit more time to sort out a way to do it. Without using "outside" intelligence / cybersec data etc, that's not easy task.

Namecheap blog June 2, 2021: Our fight against fraud is just getting started

Regards

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back