Dynadot

Namecheap - Important Privacy News

NameSilo
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Got an email today from Namecheap....

"Protecting your online privacy rights is something we've long believed in and fought for. Even if it means taking on one of the biggest names in technology and media, we will always do everything we can to safeguard your personal information and freedom.

That's why I’m writing to you now, as Facebook attempts to gain the right to your personal data perpetually, simply because they ask for it.

By lobbying ICANN (the organization that oversees registrars like us) as well as filing a case against us via US courts, we believe Facebook is not just attempting to sneak around the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), but that their actions could open the floodgates for anyone to demand your private data.

Naturally, it’s also important to us that you have all the key facts of this case at your disposal. So we’ve laid them down for you in our blog, to provide the full story and its serious implications.

We wanted you to know exactly what this case could mean for you, and that we will be fighting it every way we can.

Gratefully Yours,

Richard Kirkendall
CEO Namecheap"

Link details below.....

https://www.namecheap.com/blog/the-...mail&utm_campaign=MKTG_PrivacyNewsB7_20200619

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Last edited:
•••
Cheers. I got the email and didn't get to reading the full blog post untill now. Nice read, seems like they're one of the few US companies that get the GDPR.

FB definitely doesn't. It would be interesting to see what happens if they illegally obtain my data from a registrar and someone files a complaint for breach of GDPR.

Last edited:
•••
> FB definitely doesn't. It would be interesting to see what happens if they illegally obtain my data from a registrar and someone files a complaint for breach of GDPR.

Absolutely nothing. At a certain level of annual turnover you are beyond litigation.

(or rather: the complainant's money runs out before yours does).

•••
Got an email today from Namecheap....

"Protecting your online privacy rights is something we've long believed in and fought for. Even if it means taking on one of the biggest names in technology and media, we will always do everything we can to safeguard your personal information and freedom.

That's why I’m writing to you now, as Facebook attempts to gain the right to your personal data perpetually, simply because they ask for it.

By lobbying ICANN (the organization that oversees registrars like us) as well as filing a case against us via US courts, we believe Facebook is not just attempting to sneak around the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), but that their actions could open the floodgates for anyone to demand your private data.

Naturally, it’s also important to us that you have all the key facts of this case at your disposal. So we’ve laid them down for you in our blog, to provide the full story and its serious implications.

We wanted you to know exactly what this case could mean for you, and that we will be fighting it every way we can.

Gratefully Yours,

Richard Kirkendall
CEO Namecheap"

Link details below.....

https://www.namecheap.com/blog/the-...mail&utm_campaign=MKTG_PrivacyNewsB7_20200619
I did not get this email and I have many domains with Namecheap. Is their primary concern their US customers only? Why not take care of all of their customers? Or isit for US and Europe customers only? Strange really. I have changed nameservers today, approved Afternic Fast Transfer through Namecheap, yet I am not sent this imprtant email. It is clearly region based email.

•••
I did not get this email and I have many domains with Namecheap. Is their primary concern their US customers only? Why not take care of all of their customers? Or isit for US and Europe customers only? Strange really. I have changed nameservers today, approved Afternic Fast Transfer through Namecheap, yet I am not sent this imprtant email. It is clearly region based email.

I’m in the US and haven’t received the email yet. From past experience I’ve learned that even large companies have to stager the timing of mass emails in order to avoid getting caught in spam filters.

Last edited:
•••
I am not in US or EU, and I got this email.

•••
Absolutely nothing. At a certain level of annual turnover you are beyond litigation.

On the contrary. Google, Facebook, Apple you name it. They all get their ass whooped by the EU continuesly.

•••
And is it having any appreciable effect on Google, Facebook and Apple?

The amount of requests blocked by my adblocker say otherwise :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back