IT.COM

Namecheap hosting nightmare

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dondomainer

domainnamescom.comTop Member
Impact
This is one of those cases where you wonder who is on the other side?

Yesterday I contacted NC Hosting support to fix the problem with one of my domains, as I always do, in the chat box I explain everything and add links and credential information.

ME - Hi, I need help, I have problems with one of the domains, when you visit mydomain.com you get 404, but when visit www.mydomain.com you get a namecheap parking page.

NC - Can you give, between 10 and 15 minutes to see what happens.

ME - OK

10 minutes later

NC -
Your account has been verified

ME - ok?!

NC - Plz, give me 5 to 7 mint for see what happens.

ME - ok

5 to 7 minutes later

NC - You must change the server names to Namecheap.

ME -
You have read what I have written before?

NC - oh I'm sorry, let me see.

Another 10 minutes

NC - You can send me a screenshot of your NS record you must open an account here and send us the capture.

NC - why, for what?

5 minutes later

NC - I need to check that the NS are right.

ME - No, not really, since I'm telling you that if you go to www.mydomain.com, you get a namecheap parking page and and on the other hand you have tools to see my NS instead of making me have to open an account in that site just for a screenshot.

5 to 7 minutes later

ME - forget it, bye..

------------------------------

Then I went to suspend my hosting account. So, Today in the morning I receive an email from what appears to be someone else.

NC - The latest chat you had with us is #........ and you contacted us regarding the issue with mydomain.com. The domain name is now added to the hosting account. The reason for the issue was the DNS propagation, that's why you saw our parking page instead of the one you needed.

------------------------ end

Only i say.. for real?! when NC or any other hosting company park you domain without your authorization just because the NS is pending to spread.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Only i say.. for real?! when NC or any other hosting company park you domain without your authorization just because the NS is pending to spread.

it's common standard thing on almost every registrar company..... everytime you buy domain it will be automatically set with the registrar company nameserver and pointed to their parkiing page

yes the dns propagation is true.... for namecheap domain you have to wait 24hours before you got fully propagated and see the correct web page...

•••
it's common standard thing on almost every registrar company..... everytime you buy domain it will be automatically set with the registrar company nameserver and pointed to their parkiing page

yes the dns propagation is true.... for namecheap domain you have to wait 24hours before you got fully propagated and see the correct web page...
The domain is from namesilo

•••
Feel free to DM me with details - I work with Namecheap.

I would imagine you may have used default nameservers that weren't properly added to the hosting account, and thus no content was being referenced--but I'd need to look further.

•••
Feel free to DM me with details - I work with Namecheap.

I would imagine you may have used default nameservers that weren't properly added to the hosting account, and thus no content was being referenced--but I'd need to look further.
The domain have a website..but now the problem was solved, thansk

•••
The domain have a website..but now the problem was solved, thansk

No problem. For future reference, you can message me.

•••
My Fully Managed VPS (expensive) was hacked - all my sites there down, all kinds of malicious code.

Been on support chat with Namecheep now for over 1 hour - the rep will not even bother to respond - I am keepiing it opn to recordd the full time ignored.

I have personal, finantial data that was exposed - i have many sites down. I have no idea how much damage there is.

AND Namecheep support is not helping at all - i will post chat logs - if I dont get some help or even an acknolwedge they are helping. Support open nothing

@tamar is anyone there who cares? 1 hour 22 mins - no responce on hold

•••
I will be canceling my full managed vps - today,
I will be canceling my shared plan - as soon as i can migrate my sites there - thank gosh I didnt move everthing to my vps yet as planned

I will be moving my remaing 300 or so domains from namecheep as well.

for the record namecheap - that remaing 300 with you - of thousands we own, that i wound never now consider placing with you now.

The support guy just ended my chat @tamar

Last edited:
•••
23:14 brian : still no response? My vps is down, hacked, all my sites are down. financial info likely exposed etc.. yet no response from support for a PREMIUM full managed VPS? Is this not a concern of NameCheeps?
23:28 Bogdan Meltyukhov has left the conversation. Click here to leave a message.

a little over 1 hour - nothing - here is the end of the chat log

@tamar

•••
Can you please tell me your ticket number?

From what I see, the chat was disconnected. Chances are you're going to get a follow up ticket about it soon, but nonetheless I'd like to escalate it. Please provide your ticket number.

•••
Department: Hosting Support
Full Name: brian
Your Question: Hi, support just helped my get access to my VPS. Now, I can see it was hacked and there are changes and sites not mine. What to do?
Operator: Bogdan Meltyukhov
21:59 Your Question: Hi, support just helped my get access to my VPS. Now, I can see it was hacked and there are changes and sites not mine. What to do?
21:59 Please wait and one of our operators will be with you shortly.
21:59 You are now chatting with Bogdan Meltyukhov (Hosting CS) - Hosting Support
22:00 Bogdan Meltyukhov: Hello Brian! Thank you for contacting our Live Chat Support!
22:01 Bogdan Meltyukhov: Please allow me 5-7 minutes to check your account.
22:04 Bogdan Meltyukhov: Would you provide me with the domain name, please?
22:05 brian : serp.icu is what the vps is attached to
22:06 brian : when I logged in the email address for contqct was changed. now in my cpanel there are domain I dont have any idea of and a redirect set up. someone was in jhere
22:06 brian : also deleted a name / site all togtreathetr
22:09 Bogdan Meltyukhov: Thank you for specifying the issue.
22:10 brian hayes: there also look like all kinds of files and changes made when I have not logged in. I am not sure what they got access to. bit all my hosted sites seem to be doen
22:13 Bogdan Meltyukhov: Do you have WHM access?
22:13 brian : its fully managed, no
22:16 Bogdan Meltyukhov: Have you shared your cPanel password with anyone?
22:16 brian : no
22:17 brian : and its fully managed, thougt was was part of the point of FULLY MANAGED?
22:18 brian : I can see last login logs - maybey you can check those and get this corrected. OR HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHAY, HOW, AND WHAT LIABIILITY NAMECHEEP HAS FOR ME GETTING HACKED?
22:18 brian : i HAD FINANCIAL AND BANK INFO IN THE PAYMT SYSTEMS OF MY SITES - THAT WAS EXPOSED
22:20 brian : I was locked out, and dont seem to have ever recieved any warning, logs updtes anything from my FULLY MANGED server
22:23 brian : what is this file I found in my file manager? script ml UP1L4N0N (SFILE.MOBI).zip, google it says a brute force hack tool?
22:38 brian : what is dovecot mailbox? its all over my files - is that suppose to be there?
22:44 brian : hello, are you looking nto this?
22:56 brian : WELL, thanks for no help what so ever. This is an expensive (monthly plan) I am going to cancel today - over you lack of responce. I will certainly share my security concern, regardiung your hosted vps services. I will likely look to move my share plan and remaing couple hundred domain names. this is just ridicilus
23:14 brian : still no response? My vps is down, hacked, all my sites are down. financial info likely exposed etc.. yet no response from support for a PREMIUM full managed VPS? Is this not a concern of NameCheeps?
23:28 Bogdan Meltyukhov has left the conversation. Click here to leave a message.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, bet I was not getting a follow up - before you read my message?

•••
Nope. If the chat disconnects before an issue is resolved, a follow up always gets sent. It may take some time due to heavy volume, but it's standard procedure. I haven't spoken to my colleagues yet about your issue.

•••
Nope. If the chat disconnects before an issue is resolved, a follow up always gets sent. It may take some time due to heavy volume, but it's standard procedure. I haven't spoken to my colleagues yet about your issue.

how about the first 1 hour and 20 minutes before disconnect - yet ignored?

see me chat post: - 22:44 brian : hello, are you looking nto this? - well before he disconected

Last edited:
•••
I believe that's because he disconnected well before it was reported that he dropped from the chat.

It is not good business practice for anyone to maliciously ignore you. I assure you it was not intentional.

•••
I found that we sent you a follow up due to the dropped chat 48 minutes ago. Ticket XKE-463-37896. Your post was from 30 minutes ago. Do you not have an email in your inbox that was from 18 minutes prior to that?

•••
VPS CANCELED! thats $50+ a month I have been and would have been paying forever

about 60 domain either transferred (in process now) or set to drop - names I would have kept with namecheap - but woint bother renewing - ill transfer all the good ones.

VPS + 60 domains lost by awful service today - by the end of the year it will be about 200 total names lost & llikely any other services I have with Namecheap.

Be warned - all!

•••
Did you get the follow up ticket? Can you DM me with the issue that remains please?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back