NameSilo

new gtlds Namecheap drops support for .XYZ registrations and transfers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bram C.

AlmightyDomains.com + HeroForYou.comTop Member
Impact
Namecheap, one of the leading and largest domain registrars, has stopped allowing the registration of the new domain extension .XYZ for customers.

It’s not clear when this decision was made by Namecheap. There has been discussion on several web hosting forums about it. Users have posted they had noticed the change by Namecheap recently. Ending support for .XYZ seems to have taken place over the past couple days or week.

Read more:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.xyz is NOT doing well these days. It's only a question of time before .top will beat them in being the leading spam extension.

https://namestat.org/xyz

.xyz 6,155,149 -10,267

https://namestat.org/top

.top 3,898,244 +8,809

That wouldn't work well in my opinion.
.xyz is way better than .plumbing
In fact .plumbing on the side of a truck would just confuse the customer.
www.BostonPlumbing.xyz would be easy to understand as it is clearly a domain name.
Anyways, thanks for the reply. I think many local biz will benefit from using .xyz and it
will help them appeal to younger customers that aren't already set in their service choices.
Cheers.

The problem is that there are far too many alternatives now and even more in the future. :xyz will be one of many and likely go under in a sea of alternative choices.

We can have:

Bostonplumbing.net
Bostonplumbing.org
Bostonplumbing.ws
Bostonplumbing.cc
Bostonplumbing.co
Bostonplumbing.biz
Bostonplumbing.info
Bostonplumbing.xyz
Bostonplumbing.pro
Boston.plumbing
Bostonplumbing.me
Bostonplumbing.site
Bostonplumbing.website
Bostonplumbing.online
Bostonplumbing.us
Bostonplumbing.tt
Bostonplumbing.to
Bostonplumbing.best
Bostonplumbing.web
Bostonplumbing.space
Bostonplumbing.link
Bostonplumbing.click

With more extensions being launched we might soon have:

Plumbing.boston
Boston.plumber
Boston.plumbers
Bostonplumbing.service

etc. And it will just get worse.

It will be hard to justify premium prices for mediocre .xyz when there are so many choices available. Even the .net might not be an easy sell.

More supply= lower prices.

The most logical choices, bostonplumbing.net bostonplumbing.us are still available BTW. Probably because the term isn't worth that much. The .xyz will be harder to sell.

https://www.dynadot.com/domain/search.html?domain=Bostonplumbing.us&search=

Last edited:
•••
@JayT Yes,:-D your truck would look cooler. I was thinking more about this and the truth is we just need more regular businesses to "get" the value of domains in general. I couldn't believe boston.plumber was available. For $100 a business can have that name and it is just sitting there. Amazing.

•••
@dordomai so google uses .xyz
Which leading internet giant that literally controls the internet search industry uses .top

Anyways, all domains in general need more public awareness to unlock the true value.
Cheers.

•••
If I wanted to appeal to a sub 30 year old customer base with a service I would pick .xyz before .org or .net
First step would be to try and buy the most premium .com that I could afford.
After that .xyz is a nice alternative to speak to a new generation of customers. Remember, not domainers, just the avg. customer who can see the differentiation of .xyz speaking directly to them. With the right effort many of the new ext. would work.
Cheers

•••
One key thing that would help is if godaddy included .us, .xyz, etc. in the general registration path for aftermarket names like they do with .com, .net so people could see that a great .xyz or .us is available for a reasonable price on the aftermarket.
5 figures plus for a 3L .com
Many businesses could do well with a 3L .us for example but the avg customer typing them into godaddy wouldn't see the availability of it in the aftermarket like they do with .com's that are for sale and set up properly on godaddy.

•••
@dordomai so google uses .xyz
Which leading internet giant that literally controls the internet search industry uses .top

Anyways, all domains in general need more public awareness to unlock the true value.
Cheers.

Google does not use .xyz. They use Google.com

The only reason why the holding company Alphabet use abc.xyz is because it is a short URL hack not because the extension is so great. If they had called their holding company "Everest" they certainy wouldn't use everest.xyz

The majority of Google users will never see abc.xyz.

If I wanted to appeal to a sub 30 year old customer base with a service I would pick .xyz before
.org or .net

Why? If there is a .net or an .org availabe why should they go with a .xyz? Because of a sleazy marketing slogan? (For generation x,y and z?)

Most people don't know .xyz if you can have a .net or an .org you will do much better.

Last edited:
•••
Web traffic to Alphabet.com increased by more than 5000[percent] following Larry Page's announcement that Google would become the largest subsidiary of a new holding company called Alphabet.

The problem is, that domain name is owned by BMW.

•••
shoot. i believe namecheap was the most affordable xyz registrar.

top beating xyz? top seems pretty lame to me to be honest. xyz is a good nose fit.

•••
1 .xyz 6,150,562 -7,144
2 .top 3,909,529 8,398

•••
There do seem to have been a load of very low price/free xyz names recently. I was given 6 free ones by a hosting company, and I used one to register the name of a friend's farm for his annual fair. I prefer .coms, but the farm name was long gone for most TLDs. I guess this was a promotion that worked, because I will renew this name at full price when it needs it - as long as it isn't too "full".

I'll be a bit p'ed off if it does die, but then maybe somebody else will take it over. I own xyz1.com, so maybe I can get some members here to sub me, and buy the registry. :)

•••
Thanks Bram.

Seems like new registries are starting to show more cracks. Will NC drop support for other ngTLDs?

I recently had a problem while trying to register a .city
It said the domain was available so I put it in my cart along with other domain (.coms) and checked out.
They took the full sum out of Paypal... but it turned out that the .city domain did not register (ie. I was not given the domain.) But I was still charged, even though it was showing as not charged ($0) in my Namecheap account.

So I went though support and even sent a screenshot of my Paypal to show that I did in fact pay (was charged) for that domain.

Didn't hear back 4 days after live chatting with support, so I emailed them this time. Apparently they misunderstood. I was asking for a refund for $16 for that domain. They thought I still wanted the domain and so were looking into it.
I got my $16 back but I don't know if I will buy new TLDs from NC after this. (Not until I know what's going on.)

They said it was a glitch, because when I put the .city in my cart... it showed up as FREE! I tried with another gTLD (.church) domain (just to check) and that too showed up as FREE. I contacted them about this (before the overcharge incident) and was told that it was a glitch on my end and everything was working fine on their end. When I proceeded with the checkout, the actual price showed up.

Has anyone else had trouble buying gTLDs from NC recently?

Last edited:
•••
They also don't support .PRO transfer-ins...

•••
It's difficult to understand why they would drop xyz. I happen to like xyz for some perverse reason - but I still major on .coms. However, if a registrar can't/won't support xyz, then it puts me off using them for anything. Life is already complicated enough as it is, without adding more difficulties.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back