IT.COM

new gtlds Namecheap drops support for .XYZ registrations and transfers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bram C.

AlmightyDomains.com + HeroForYou.comTop Member
Impact
Namecheap, one of the leading and largest domain registrars, has stopped allowing the registration of the new domain extension .XYZ for customers.

It’s not clear when this decision was made by Namecheap. There has been discussion on several web hosting forums about it. Users have posted they had noticed the change by Namecheap recently. Ending support for .XYZ seems to have taken place over the past couple days or week.

Read more:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
NC won't be the last registrar to cancel any new business from .xyz registrations. They're just the first one to announce this. IMHO. I think there is still wind left in the sails of the .xyz registry. But predictions they will be one of the major nGTD's in the future, is a tad far-fetched. IMHO.

•••
NC didn't have announcement, users reported it.

More registrars will stop supporting .XYZ and ngTLDs. :)

NC won't be the last registrar to cancel any new business from .xyz registrations. They're just the first one to announce this. IMHO. I think there is still wind left in the sails of the .xyz registry. But predictions they will be one of the major nGTD's in the future, is a tad far-fetched. IMHO.

•••
•••

There is a chance that XYZ will also act as a registrar and compete with their partners. I am not sure what happened but it probably has to do with Daniel's competitive nature. He is good at business but might not be charitable enough for NameCheap.

If XYZ is a registrar (I think they are), I expect XYZ, Uniregistry and West.xyz to dominate .xyz registrations.

P.S.
Let's not assume that NameCheap made a good decision. We do not know yet. I remember Twitter broke their partnership with Google in favor of a partnership with Bing.com but that was part of their downfall some years ago.

Last edited:
•••
.XYZ registry already resells domains through Internet.bs.

Last edited:
•••
How about many xyz domains still stay on Namecheap? Do they need to transfer to else where?

No, you can still manage and renew your xyz domains already at Namecheap normally. And you can still sell/buy them on the Namecheap marketplace. I spoke to their customer service a week ago about this. They confirmed that they have no plans to bring back registrations.
I don't think it's anything to do with xyz being a lame extension. I think they've probably gotten into a dispute over something with the registry and decided to end support for the extension.

•••
They are their biggest supporter IMO. They are the ones encouraging people to renew their xyz domains, and not encouraging deep cuts in prices and pump and dumps.

•••
They are their biggest supporter IMO. They are the ones encouraging people to renew their xyz domains, and not encouraging deep cuts in prices and pump and dumps.

Correction. They were their biggest supporter :)

•••
I hope it's not pemanent, Hopefully it's just a phase but I plan on keeping at least 20-40 premium 1 word xyz to develop on

•••
•••
•••
I hope it's not pemanent, Hopefully it's just a phase but I plan on keeping at least 20-40 premium 1 word xyz to develop on
I think you can still have your xyz domains at NameCheap if they are already there. I can even sell them at their marketplace. I sold 2 last week, so I know they sell.

•••
Urg, I own some .xyz at namecheap.

•••
•••
Here is our answer:

As we have said before, China is one of XYZ’s most important markets, which is why we are investing more money than ever to grow with our registrar partners in the region.

https://gen.xyz/blog/wechatxyz

•••
Wauw talk about a non answer. You have a promising career in politics ahead of you.

•••
Umm... this is not a race. .xyz has a clear market and will only grow over time. Happy to talk in 5 years about where the pricing is. It will be much higher as end users continue to gravitate towards the top new gtld for millennials. Sometimes domainers go too deep into the trends that other domainers are chasing. So just picture yourself start a local service co today or 3 years from now. All the top Town+service dot com are taken for over a decade at least. Most top level domains are generic, but .xyz speaks to knowledge and is easily remembered. Now you can get an amazing domain for your business. Maybe the exact match town with no other words or BostonPlumber.xyz for example....it is 99 cents right now. It passes the radio test, the decal on the van test, the business card test and the financial test. It would still be a tremendous bargain at $2,500 hundred today. Time will tell but I'm certain if the web continues to grow .xyz will grow with it. Like, google trusts .xyz for its investor homepage abc.xyz so why is it not good enough for ANY other business. FYI - uniregistry.com will happily register .xyz and it is a very handy site indeed.

•••
•••
@JayT Do you have any idea what one customer acquisition is worth to a plumber. Boston has millions of people and hundreds of plumbers. If you owned a plumbing business in Boston and were starting out online with a low budget under 5grand what better name could you find? Guessing you haven't worked with many local businesses. Cheers.

•••
Laughing at it proves the point. Just like people laughed at 4L.com for a decade while they sold cheaply on ebay. geo+service.xyz is a tremendous opportunity for local businesses that don't have the budget to pay 5 and 6 figures for a domain. Not domainers but businesses.

•••
@JayT Do you have any idea what one customer acquisition is worth to a plumber.
Depends how much $*&# is backed up.
Boston has millions of people and hundreds of plumbers. If you owned a plumbing business in Boston and were starting out online with a low budget under 5grand what better name could you find?
Yea okay man. I'd just go buy Boston.Plumbing for $99 and use the other $4901 for more important things.
Guessing you haven't worked with many local businesses. Cheers.
Nope, but I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

Last edited:
•••
That wouldn't work well in my opinion.
.xyz is way better than .plumbing
In fact .plumbing on the side of a truck would just confuse the customer.
www.BostonPlumbing.xyz would be easy to understand as it is clearly a domain name.
Anyways, thanks for the reply. I think many local biz will benefit from using .xyz and it
will help them appeal to younger customers that aren't already set in their service choices.
Cheers.

•••
I guess the first thing to do is try and buy the .com
that would still be the best choice.

•••
In fact .plumbing on the side of a truck would just confuse the customer.
www.BostonPlumbing.xyz would be easy to understand as it is clearly a domain name.
Anyways, thanks for the reply. I think many local biz will benefit from using .xyz and it
will help them appeal to younger customers that aren't already set in their service choices.
Cheers.
No, but my truck would look cooler.

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃ ̾)۶٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
|”"”"”"”"”"”"”"”"”"‘ ””’”"”" “” |\^__
| ..ૐ…Boston.Plumbing..ૐ.. ||”|"\__
|___________________|||_|_____|)
!(@)’(@)”"” ”’”"**!(@)(@)****!(@)

-vs-

┐(-。ー)┌ -\(°_o)/-
|"”"”"”"”"”"”"”"”"‘ ””’”"”"|\
| BostonPlumber.Xyz “”|””\__
|______|||_____|_____|___|]
(@)********************(@)

Last edited:
•••
Umm... this is not a race. .xyz has a clear market
Yes: spam and scams.

Guessing you haven't worked with many local businesses. Cheers.
Small local businesses aren't paying much for domain names, even good .com. Guessing you don't have much experience selling domain names to end users, especially .xyz.

How many plumbers are using either in the real world ? And how many are buying those on the aftermarket ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back