Domain Empire

Namebio.com restrict (more) free content?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainication

Top Member
Impact
Did anyone noticed the fact that namebio only shows five search results from now on too?

1680951482760.png

I guess we will need a membership for (full) results now - which is defenetly worth it but i did not read about a statement at all (social media, etc.) - am i missing something?
1680951550432.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't know if it is the wrong section (@ admins please change if there is something better for it).

Did anyone noticed the fact that namebio only shows five search results from now on too?

Show attachment 235326

I guess we will need a membership for (full) results now - which is defenetly worth it for sure:
Show attachment 235327

No problem with that but i did not read about a statement at all (social media, etc.) - am i missing something?

are u serious your pic showing 5 results? if.he show 5 then.he might as well show 1 or nothing..same thing...

•••
I think when you register and login you can see 10 results:

1680952774922.png

But even then it wouldn't be a usefull tool at all i think. So they go paid / premium from now on.

•••
yep..5 results... wow... cutting stuff by half ... is this mean u is now twice the greedy mr @Michael

Last edited:
•••
A reason to not visit that website at all, you have economy my time.

•••
Yeah I noticed that today. 5 is a silly move better not using it. I use unreportedsales now

Last edited:
•••
In return. I think we have also to ask them to pay us if they want us to report our sales in their platform.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe this is what they want to achieve, to get rid of people like us and be only for insiders who will pay. :unsure:

•••
it's a good tool for newbies so they suffer most from this... rest of us just go there for fun... like np sale thread or McDonald...... cutting numbers like this come on ..its like we is some dumb kindergarten kids getting penalty in the corner... I mean what is u thinking man. i guess the 40 second ads werent make enuff mulAmula huh

Last edited:
•••
Shame we can't open a better site. That site shouldn't cost a lot to run at all for the good of the community.

•••
In return. I think we have also to ask them to pay us if they want us to report our sales in their marketplace.
I was thinking the same thing.

Weird business move, they went way overboard with these changes. I doubt they were losing money with the previous setup

I might look into starting an at-cost alternative for the lulz

Last edited:
•••
•••
In return. I think we have also to ask them to pay us if they want us to report our sales in their marketplace.
That sounds a bit out there...

But in order to make something like that commercially viable I guess it has to be restricted.

I remember the person that owns it quote a ridiculous amount of time to get out all data for all sales out of the db. Of course it wasn't true unless the site is run on a potato... Even if it's hundreds of millions of records it wouldn't take long to get it all out. But again to make it commercially viable....

I dont underestimate the time and effort it takes to make such a platform and to get the relationships and create the integrations with the platforms to get the data. That's all valuable stuff and not to be sniffed at. Also the dedication to such an endeavour, to collect the data and make it commercially viable, is something that is extremely valuable. That's the thing that separates theowner of name bio from you and I... They decided to create the platform, set it up, collect the data that is interesting to you and make sure the site stays up. They identified that people would find that info interesting and they've worked at it for years.

I know that it's hard cause I also work with websites day in day out. I have people moaning at me as well.... You don't get owt for nowt, but you're always vulnerable to other innovators.

Last edited:
•••
if someone creat alternative website to namebio with same service and put only $1 a month subscription fees will make a good profitable business , and will kill namebio .

Last edited:
•••
In my opinion it is not the problem that they charge money for their services. I think most of us would do in their position. They've got a nice tool for domainer needs (at least for me it is a tool i visit on daily basis) - i'm not happy but fine with that. BUT! The pricing was a point i thought about. $120 a year? That's a number to think twice.

Anyway. I registered myself and gladly this comes up:

For those who didn't know yet. You'll get a 50% discount when you choose to pay for a whole year membership:
1680974096856.png

So now we are at $5 a month. I'm more comfortable with that (but i understand every critic for the pricing under the fact that it's still a limited (!) membership).

But again... trouble!
They only accept credit card payment???? I do not use that payment method at all and do not have plans to change that way. I mean - come on. @Michael any plans to integrate Paypal? Sofort / Klarna? Bank wire? Anything?

Last edited:
•••
if someone creat alternative website to namebio with same service and put only $1 a month subscription fees will make a good profitable business , and will kill namebio .

Yes, they can grab all those customers in the very lucrative "won't pay $10/month but will pay $1/month" niche. 😂

Last edited:
•••
showing only five results, it's a shame.
Why also show five? Who needs such favors?

•••
exactly... sometimes its more about how u do it....than what u do. guess they were feeling generous at 5... else itd be one result.

Last edited:
•••
If you register for free you get 10 results per search instead of 5. I know that still doesn't sound like a lot, but with sorting by date and price, both ascending and descending, you can actually get 40 results per search pretty quickly. And that's before filtering on things like Venue or Date Range, the permutations allow for hundreds of results if you want to put in the time. That's plenty for most casual users and the typical searches they'll be doing. You can still follow the daily results on NameBio Live or the Daily Market Report. We're still running auctions and pending deletes against the database and publishing those lists daily.

NameBio has been going for 16 years as a free service, and it still is free, it's just less free and has a little more friction. It's incredibly difficult to sell advertising in such a small industry, the companies that can afford to pay, well... everyone already knows about them and visits them daily so they don't advertise much. The newer services have no ad budgets. There isn't much middle ground. Go turn off your ad blocker and count the ads on Domaining.com to see how bad it has gotten. We lost half our advertisers this year already.

When I joined NameBio more than 8 years ago I decided not to change the free limits. When I launched paid memberships more than four years ago I actually increased the free limits if you register an account. The memberships were just so we could ship some feature requests that weren't realistic to give away for free to guest users. When we sold NameBio two years ago the buyers left it alone. This is despite all of us knowing that an ad-supported model doesn't make any sense for an extremely niche industry. That's why most services are paid, like DotDB, DomainIQ, Efty, Estibot, etc.

I've really tried to make a go at being primarily ad-supported, but it's time to pivot. Even though each year we serve more than 350,000 unique users, process many millions of searches, and have an average time on site of more than 48 minutes (which if you've ever owned a site you know is off the charts) it is still borderline impossible to attract advertisers. And only a few hundred people have memberships because we gave away such a crazy amount of functionality and data for free trying to attract eyeballs for advertisers. Most of them just really hate ads/captchas or wanted to support the project because we help them make money.

But that's not enough to keep things afloat, much less do all the things we want to do. Like finish our AI appraiser that we started 6 years ago and had to table, or an ML tool to estimate the probability of a retail sale for a given domain at various price points, or reviving our game and making it web-based with more modes, or creating educational content and doing deep-dives into the data for articles. It's not greed, we're just trying to get on solid footing and do more while ad revenue is hard to come by and affiliate revenue is basically gone thanks to Honey. But to do that we need to give away a more reasonable amount for free. Better than the alternative of being 100% paid. I sincerely hope it never comes to that.

Yes, Price Range and Domain Length are disabled for now, but that is unrelated. Those filters are constantly abused to get around limits, and are rarely used legitimately. I'm planning to replace them with presets that will still be usable but not prone to abuse. The same thing happened with the Date Range filter years ago, it used to be a from/to field, but within hours it was abused so insanely heavily that we had to replace it with presets. Hopefully this will be done in the next few weeks, it's high up on my list.

I'm sorry we had to adjust the limits, I know nobody likes getting less of something for free.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, they can grab all those customers in the very lucrative "won't pay $10/month but will pay $1/month" niche. 😂
Lol, it's actually as low as $5/mo if you pay annually. Not much room to go down from there.

•••
In my opinion it is not the problem that they charge money for their services. I think most of us would do in their position. They've got a nice tool for domainer needs (at least for me it is a tool i visit on daily basis) - i'm not happy but fine with that. BUT! The pricing was a point i thought about. $120 a year? That's a number to think twice.

Anyway. I registered myself and gladly this comes up:

For those who didn't know yet. You'll get a 50% discount when you choose to pay for a whole year membership:
Show attachment 235341

So now we are at $6 a month. I'm more comfortable with that (but i understand every critic for the pricing under the fact that it's still a limited (!) membership).

But again... trouble!
They only accept credit card payment???? I do not use that payment method at all and do not have plans to change that way. I mean - come on. @Michael any plans to integrate Paypal? Sofort / Klarna? Bank wire? Anything?
https://namebio.com/invoice-membership

You can subscribe there using PayPal, but our integration for subscriptions is through Stripe. So I'll have to set up your membership manually, you won't be able to upgrade/downgrade, and if you want to cancel you'll have to do it through PayPal instead of our site. Because it's such a slog we only do annual subscriptions through PayPal.

•••
Your services are worth the value for those selling domain names. I wish more of us were making money, but the reg costs are now eating into profits.

•••
In return. I think we have also to ask them to pay us if they want us to report our sales in their platform.
The average sale report is worth fractions of a penny (although more if it is a headliner sale), which isn't practical with PayPal fees and such. But we might be able to do giveaways where we randomly select from people who have reported sales, and maybe weight the "entries" based on the dollar amount being reported. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
•••
No one is working for free but you expect everything is free.

•••
Thanks @Michael for clearing things up!
(and thank you too for leading me the way to pay by paypal - that was exactly what i'm looking for)

I'm happy to stay as a customer to support namebio with my subscription.

The only suggestion i got is that you really need to communicate those major changes before they go live.
Then the panic we all got would be smoother at all. There are so many great 'Bloggers' in the industry (like @DomainSherpa, etc.) or social media where you could have told about the upcoming movement and the reasons why it is necessary.

I would have totally enjoyed an written interview between you and our high class Blogger @Bob Hawkes here on namepros f.e.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back