IT.COM

advice My WP Site suddenly has NO css styles or images in ANY theme

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Not sure what is up here and I have done a lot of looking online and still no solution so hoping that a WP/website pro might have a suggestion.

I have had a site running using WP (on shared hosting at enom) for about half a year, no problems. Using the vantage theme from siteorigin at the moment. All was working fine until recently, but I don't look at the site daily anymore so not sure exactly "when" things changed, bu all looked and functioned fine at least 2 weeks ago.

I went to the site yesterday and was surprised to see that NO images were displaying and there was absolutely NO css styling showing as being applied in the firebug console. All pages and content displays, just with zero styling or images.

I attempted already the following:

1) Upgraded all plugins, No change. So I disabled all plugins. No change.
2) Switched to several different default WP theme like twenty-?, no change. No styles or images in any theme I tested.
3) I downloaded a previous version of WP and overwrote all files and folders except wp-content, NO CHANGE.
4) I re-upgraded WP and re-activated all plugins one by one, No change.
5) Went into settings -> permalinks and changed the structure and saved, No Change.
6) Checked my folder and file permissions and all seems fine but I am no pro with them I must admit. But, I did not change anything myself and it WAS working fine until recently.
7) Cleared my browser cache repeatedly while testing.

Any suggestions what could have changed, I would assume to the WP CORE since is no difference regardless of active theme, or any other factor that you can think of which might help get images and css working again?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have you checked that the .htaccess file is normal?

Or is your host for some reason just serving html content - have you asked them?

Can you access images directly from their urls, can you access a theme's .css file directly?

•••
thanks for the quick reply!

htaccess is basic, only shows:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

If my host is only serving html content that is certainly new since it WAS working fine until recently. Google ads and all are showing, just no styles to the entire site. Or is that something I could have somehow inadvertently changed in cpanel? I don't recall making any changes like that but not impossible....

Regarding the direct access, I was wondering on this because NO, if I put the direct path in the URL like: mysite.xyz/wp-content/themes/vantage/style.css it shows 403 Forbidden for some reason. the permissions for the theme folder is 755 and for that particular file it is 644.

Same issue for direct url paths for images in uploads/.... 755 for folders and 644 for files. Also showing as forbidden.

But, based on what I read on WP folder/file permissions, these settings are recommended or at least acceptable and I also didn't change any settings myself prior to the issue happening. Does that help troubleshoot?

Last edited:
•••
could you give link to website?

•••
add new domain name, upload wp, check if you have everything ok.
then transfer your problem website to this "domain folder" and check if everything is ok
also try to export all your content+data, create a new website on new domain name and just import the content..

•••
Contact the host.

The htaccess file is normal - otherwise it could block or redirect access to files (unless another htaccess file in a subfolder is doing that).

Something is blocking your access and it probably is at a higher level than what you can control.

The ads are served from Google by Javascript in your html so they are not blocked.

•••
do as i said, so you will detect the problem...
or at least will have some more details for report to you host support..

Last edited:
•••
Also if your browser is blocking anything that does not come from https you could lose images if the links in the site are http but the site url is https - might want to check that and any browser security settings, or any security plugins installed on the site - can others access it normally?

•••
thanks for all the input! isnt a ssl/https issue. also is happening the same for me in all browsers so not a browser or plugin issue, but i definitely appreciate the troubleshooting and rattling off the possibilities. I guess will have to ask the host, unless there is a typical place in a PLESK control panel that I could have inadvertently changed a html setting like you mentioned before.

•••
You enable SSL connection for all css styles and images?

•••
problem solved! and would have been hard to find (for me ) since I had not changed anything.

In a nutshell called my host and had them look and they were able to see that it was a result of a recent hosting upgrade and an apparent issue with plesk. All he had to do was check the box "Serve static files directly by nginx " under apache settings. Then, everything worked fine again! Whew! He said the issue has been reported to plesk and a fix is on the way but that solves the issue for now which is great.

A BIG thanks to everyone that jumped right in and offered support and suggestions. Just glad it wasn't a matter of me being hacked or hacking myself during one of those late night "seemed like a good idea" learning by doing jobbies on my site.

•••
Back