NameSilo

My three and a half years in Domaining

Located in Domain Beginners, started by Khurram, Apr 11, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. WatchDogue

WatchDogue Top Contributor VIP

Hello!

You provided an interesting in-depth introduction to the Forum! Enjoyed the opportunity to review your entry and progress in the field of domaining.

Welcome to NamePros!

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Donmarick

Donmarick Established Member

nice share, wish You good luck in next few years and decads ;)

3. Zagalee

Zagalee Established Member

Nice one.. I will write mine one day.. Keep it up.

4. Indianad

Indianad Upgraded Member Gold Account

Welcome to NP's! Excellent summary.(y)

5. SURAJ DOSHI

SURAJ DOSHI New Member

This is an excellent sharing post. Your first year might have been very tough. I am sitting on my first year and hoping for the best. Right now just doing research on DOMAINEERING.

Hope for the best.

6. Domain Services Corp

Domain Services Corp New Member

Thank you for such a detailed elaboration of your journey. Dropping domain names to learn further is such a piece of great advice for new learners. Keep posting your learnings. Welcome to Namepros.

7. ThatNameGuy

ThatNameGuy Restricted (15-30%) Gold Account

Welcome aboard and good overview. I've been at the business of domaining a year less than you have, but I've taken a totally different approach. I own about a thousand domains and like you, I renew less than 20% YOY. Unlike you however, I have zero technical experience. Fortunately I've attracted a team of professionals who are willing to take a chance, and are helping me to monetize our domains.

Thanks again for sharing(y)

8. NameTBA

NameTBA New Member

I know everyone says that patience is valuable in this game, but you have to see real examples like this where you REALLY invested a lot of money and STILL had to wait a long time before you saw a return to recognise what it takes to make a success of this

Thank you for sharing this

9. werejack

werejack Established Member

Thank you for sharing and I am in my second year of domaining and no sale. I need the validation of a few sales and I too intend to share my experience. Interestingly enough I have found some things that I expected to be easy are really difficult and at times something I thought would be hardturns out to be straight forward.
    Good luck to both of us.

10. werejack

werejack Established Member

In addition this industry is like learning howto ride a bicycle or learning how to swim. Despite all the advice one has to do it themselves to fully understand what works at what specific time.

11. hexilon

hexilon Established Member

Thanks for sharing your journey. (y)

12. AbdulBasit.com

AbdulBasit.com DomainsWeb.com AbdulBasit.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Welcome to NamePros @Khurram

Thanks for sharing your journey over the years and interesting read.

I agree with all your points except the last one about privacy.

IMO, you shouldn't be bothered much on lowball offers as that's part of this business. I've sold some domains where the initial offer was in 3 figures and ended up selling the domain in 5 figures.

I like the idea of keeping WHOIS public to increase chances of receiving inbound leads via WHOIS. As many people shy away to contact the domain owner when they see the WHOIS email ID is too long and mixed with letters and/or numbers. That possibly makes them think the email ID isn't valid.

Wish you all the best and hope you make more and frequently sales in future.

13. LordMonitor

LordMonitor *** Gold Account

Interesting Yar ...
    I'm in my Second year and the clock still ticks ...

14. xbank

xbank xbank Blue Account

Khurram do you mind sharing those 100 domain names? which did not bring sales?

15. fated82

fated82 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Thanks for your sharing.

i want to know, those domains you sold, are they keyword search terms?

I am trying to decide if keyword search tems domains (eg gethousingloans.com) is still valuable today.

16. NLP

NLP Top Contributor VIP

Welcome, and thanks for the detailed and insightful summary! A lot of people (who aren't in the industry) think domaining is just "sitting at home thinking of cool names," but isn't. There's a lot of trial and error, and a learning curve that everyone has to go through.

17. Khurram

Khurram Upgraded Member Gold Account

Unfortunately I never maintained the list of them as I thought that are of no value to me.

18. Khurram

Khurram Upgraded Member Gold Account

Yes mostly are keywords. But I will add that terms like "gethousingloans.com" are considered too long now a days and they are a long wait.
    We should remember that Google Search Engine ranks the websites not on the basis of keywords anymore. SEO is based on many factors and a very complex algorithm is behind it.

In the Past Keywords domain names were important to help in the rankings on the Search page or to generate the ad revenue, but it is not the case anymore.

One Suggestion: I regularly check dngeek.com and it could help you a lot.

Last edited: May 24, 2020 at 12:56 AM
  19. namealbum.com

namealbum.com New Member

Hi, very nice summary. Thanks for sharing.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice