Domain Empire

new gTLD my.tax - registered and sold within days for $22,500?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

eNqyddn

Established Member
Impact
Checked out the latest sales on the 30th of April 2018 on namebio and saw that www.my.tax was at the top with $22,500. Got me curious and checked out when it was registered and found out it was just a few days before (4 days to be exact as it was registered on the 26th). Is this possible?? LOL

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have no opinion. I noticed another "my" sold, call it trend spotting.

Another trend i have spotted, Is the entourage of people lining up to butter someones ass when the extension is sold in .com

•••
The plot thickens

MYVEHICLE.COM last sold for $5,560 on 2018-05-02 at NameJet

•••
What-else do "domainers" do then try and replicate previous sales?

There is very little reinventing the wheel in this business, if you haven't already noticed.
Agreed. Check the namepros auctions section and try and go 1 page without seeing crypto+crap keyword in ANY extension that sells. 99.9% of these names will never be used yet they sell like hotcakes

•••
myvid.com 75,000 USD 2018-03-16 Uniregistry

"my" is on trend

•••
Why should the registry have to give you a chance? You didn't spend six or even seven figures on the application fee, development costs, legal fees, marketing, etc. not to mention the auction itself if there were multiple applicants. Why would they then fire-sale the good stuff to you?

Some registries feel that they can make more by having it be a free-for-all like you describe, generally these are registries with strings that can support hundreds of thousands or even millions of domains.

Some registries feel they can maximize revenue by premium pricing everything good and having fewer overall registrations, generally these are the ones like .tax where there might only be a few thousand domains that make sense. According to nTLDStats there are only 5,829 registrations in .tax. If they priced them all at $30 they wouldn't even be able to cover their OPEX, much less attempt to make a return on their investment, even though they might have twice as many registrations as they do now.

Most registries are playing domain investor instead of catering to them. Nothing wrong with that, it's their prerogative as the owner of the namespace. But I definitely wouldn't invest in those strings as a domain investor except when they miss something that should have been premium priced or price it incorrectly. I'm sure they don't mind though, they're not doing this to give domainers a chance to make money.

I still think it is worth tracking their sales though even if they are playing domain investor, as an actual domain investor can still hold domains in those extensions and would benefit from knowing of past sales. That said, I also wouldn't buy into the hype and go on a hand-regging spree just because the registry made a good sale.

Its a £1m domain any day of the week

•••
•••
It seems fishy as it looks like there some silly collisions going on in the background.I shared this post in another *SCAM ALERT* here so I would just paste it to avoid retyping the whole but you can get my point.

"Everything on the internet must be treated with caution however good the deal looks like.
I was going through dnjournal sales and saw something strange, a domain (my.tax) is listed as sold at $22,500 but when I checked it just for the sake on godaddy,the same name is available for $5000 at minimum offer. Whois pull shows the registrant as a Transfer Service-sedo. I have no experience in domain-ing and I maybe wrong in my assessments because I felt that the sales was just effected last week and the offering pricing is way too down below the purchasing price."

Let me know your thoughts as I am here to learn.

•••
Are the dnjournal sales hypes and pump drives for new extensions?

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back