Dynadot

question Must be a scam - Not seen it before

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NickB

it's a mysteryTop Member
Impact
Just got an interesting email come through via @epik anonymize price request.....it was actually 2 emails as they sent the same for the plural version....

Not seen this before, it came with an attachment (which I did not open!) I have blanked out their name at this stage - anyone else receive similar emails?

Also it is double dutch in language (so I can make the bank transfer!?) Which always raises my suspicions :xf.smile:

Worth sharing this as I am pretty sure someone could fall for this if the grammar was better.......

Email below:

"In case of favorable response please contact me by e-mail at the following address: contact@PERSON NAME.com indicating in subject of your e-mail " Request accepted " so that I can take note of your message as soon as possible and get in touch with you. Do not forget to communicate to me in your message the contact details of the person in charge of my request in order to facilitate our exchanges.

In the event of acceptance on your part, I will send you by e-mail a .pdf document containing 3 pages : the act of donation to be completed which should be returned to me by e-mail in .pdf format, a model of document which must include the logo of your company which certifies your donation which must also be sent to me by e-mail in .pdf format at the same time as the act of donation, as well as my statement of bank identity so that you can make the bank transfer.

In the event of refusal on your part, please ignore this e-mail.

Regards,
xxxxxxx"

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

whoever wrote it, has jumble brain

and sometimes it's done intentionally by scammers

not saying this is one

but i wouldn't open the attachment,

only reply they would get is... for them to make an offer

imo...

•••
Hi

whoever wrote it, has jumble brain

and sometimes it's done intentionally by scammers

not saying this is one

but i wouldn't open the attachment,

only reply they would get is... for them to make an offer

imo...

Funny you should say that - I did reply with the below from a rarely used email address......

"I do not open attachments from people I don’t know.

If you would like to submit an offer for both domains, please reply back with your best price.

Kind regards"

Yeah - if you are not sure, never open the attachment

•••
It's probably 99% certain this is a scam. Nobody employs such subtleties when buying a domain. IMHO they are trying to encourage you to open an email from them. Don't Do It!

•••
They seem to be talking about a donation?!? Maybe they want your domain name for free! :xf.eek:

I agree don't open it.

I have well over 100 domains at Epik, majority with landers there, and have never got such an email.

Epik give you the IP address that an offer was sent from. Is it the same for an inquiry? I presume not, that they just sent an email through the anonymize thing. Just interesting to see where in world it came from.

Bob

•••
Worth sharing this as I am pretty sure someone could fall for this if the grammar was better.......

It's an old scammer tactic to misspell or use incorrect grammar...especially in the cat-fishing world. If someone replies, they assume they have a 'live' one. It simply means if someone is willing to overlook these 'errors' it means they have an accepting personality.

I always tell these types that I am putting their info on domaining sites to make others aware of their dirt-bag ways...never heard back from one yet.

•••
They seem to be talking about a donation?!? Maybe they want your domain name for free! :xf.eek:

I agree don't open it.

I have well over 100 domains at Epik, majority with landers there, and have never got such an email.

Epik give you the IP address that an offer was sent from. Is it the same for an inquiry? I presume not, that they just sent an email through the anonymize thing. Just interesting to see where in world it came from.

Bob
Hi Bob,

There is no IP address provided, it is a direct email from the person who sends it.

This is the second time I have had an email come through via anonymize, each domain has a DAN lander in place so it is strange they have contacted me this way (more so the first one which was a genuine enquiry, not like this scammer)

•••
He wants you (your company) to donate money, not domain.

I will never understand why people still read whois emails, when they have contact form on domain.

•••
It reads to me that Someone used a 'Translation software' to English for the email. Probably was attempting to use quite complex (business) wording in their own language hence the gobbledygook translation from a free translator

That shows it's from someone that doesn't have a clue what their doing or any command of English for their proof-read.(or know anyone that reads English) Just another scam bulk-attempt via various channels hoping to catch the inquisitive. no-doubt opening the attachment will bring further trash (or worse) to your desktop

Last edited:
•••
It reads to me that Someone used a 'Translation software' to English for the email. Probably was attempting to use quite complex (business) wording in their own language hence the gobbledygook translation from a free translator

That shows it's from someone that doesn't have a clue what their doing or any command of English for their proof-read.(or know anyone that reads English) Just another scam bulk-attempt via various channels hoping to catch the inquisitive. no-doubt opening the attachment will bring further trash (or worse) to your desktop

or they are using a text spinner

•••
What’s this “donation” talk? It looks super suspicious to me, so I would ignore it.

•••
From Epik landers, you get all kinds of "offers"... Here is what i got yesterday:

wfk9gTA.png

•••
•••
Don't open a stranger's mail

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back