Dynadot

Morgan Linton article: "The New gTLDs Are Like Cellphones In 1974"

NameSilo
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just your basic bait post full of nonsense.

•••
•••
Yeah, you quickly jumped at the bait :roll:

Didn't post on his blog, other people already took the nonsense apart over there.

"As a big .mobi fan this is just more confirmation that this TLD could be the next big thing in the Domaining world."

You can go read some of his other earlier predictions, will most likely wind up just like his ones on these newer gtlds.

Not sure if there is some mental block with some people in not understanding the difference between a neutral/generic extension like a .com, .net etc and niche extensions which can never compete, hence the low numbers. And the generic ones out so far, are horrible, xyz, link etc.

And his startup, just like over 70% of other new startups are on what extension? .com

"With close to 2,000 new domain extensions coming out I haven’t held back on sharing my opinion that the vast majority of these will fail."

That's what he said just 2 months ago. With:

"Sorry, the times they are a changing and just like people in the 90’s called Domainers crazy for thinking domain names would take off, the same thing is happening with new gTLDs…I’m just thinking many .COM-only investors are going to get left in the dust."

From vast majority will fail, then flippity flop, now they will take off like the .coms did in the 90's.

It's why when I first started and was checking out all the blogs, it's one that really didn't do anything for me, too much bait posting for my taste.

Last edited:
•••
Haha, that was in 2007, but I (think I) agree. .MOBI has been ice cold since 2008-2009.

The intention was good. A TLD for, at that time, the new mobile devices. However, now sites are responsive by default and .MOBI is getting more and more useless.

Personally, I think it's a different case with new gTLDs such as .News, .Video and .Lawyer. These will be around, even at the time when I'll be sex feet under.

Last edited:
•••
Bought a few gtlds that matched the extension but simply not seeing enough interest as yet and as more hit the streets I think that will only get worse.

Can only see a very few surviving and thriving, most "new issues" are bought by domainers and the majority will maybe pass one renewal.

The overall drop rates in a year or two will be horrendous.

•••
Bought a few gtlds that matched the extension but simply not seeing enough interest as yet and as more hit the streets I think that will only get worse.

Can only see a very few surviving and thriving, most "new issues" are bought by domainers and the majority will maybe pass one renewal.

The overall drop rates in a year or two will be horrendous.

Ok,

I've sold 29 or 30... Ok, almost all for less than $1000/each and the latest one was almost a month ago, but just saying.

BUT, I agree that the drops will be huge in some extensions and some of the new TLDs will suffer. Hard.

Last edited:
•••
Personally, I think it's a different case with new gTLDs such as .News, .Video and .Lawyer. These will be around, even at the time when I'll be sex feet under.

I hope you meant "six".:xf.grin:

•••
I hope you meant "six".:xf.grin:

Haha,

Oh, possibly some subconscious sick thing... :sick:

Ps. Six is actually "sex" in Swedish. Maybe that kind of explains it?

•••
Haha,

Oh, possibly some subconscious sick thing... :sick:

Ps. Six is actually "sex" in Swedish. Maybe that kind of explains it?

All those Svedish bosoms in Samui making you blind to errors, but in some cases certainly worth risking one eye! :D

•••
All those Svedish bosoms in Samui making you blind to errors, but in some cases certainly worth risking one eye! :D

No such things here. Just coconuts and speedos. :alien2:

•••
Morgan is probably a very nice chap but he really does come out with some clueless rubbish in an attempt to drive people to his blog.

Regards...jmcc

•••
With respect to so many improvements, computers and phones do serve different purpose.

I will be surprised if you use ONLY phone to do your domaining business.

And also, may be I am too conservative, but I prefer to compare domains/domaining to real estate, if there is ever the need for comparison...

•••
It is a bad comparison on several counts. The technology is exactly the same: new extensions don't do anything that old extensions cannot. But I am not sure he's getting it so it's okay.

At least people should put their money where their mouth is: set up a real business on a new extension. What's good for the others should be good for them too.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back