Domain Empire

.mobi .mobi has landed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
The mobile community has launched the dot-mobi suffix for the growing number of websites designed to be accessed on a phone or PDA.

The Mobile Top Level Domain Initiative - a collective of industry heavyweights including the likes of The GSM Association, Microsoft, Nokia, Samsung, T-Mobile and Vodafone - has created a new joint venture to run the administration of the domain under policies set by Icann.

The venture, known as the mTLD Top Level Domain, will look after the registry of addresses for the dot-mobi domain during the next 10 years with domain name registrations expected to begin in the first half of 2006.

Following a 90-day sunrise period, where trademark owners will be allowed to register domain names relating to their brands, URLs will be distributed on a first come, first served basis.

Taken from
http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39150250,00.htm

As well as using the dot-mobi suffix to alert mobile users to websites that are optimised for viewing on handhelds, the mTLD Initiative is hoping to get web developers to tweak sites for phone users by offering style guides and best practice notes for building the dot-mobi websites.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
thnx for the info... im going to have to keep up on it and grab some nice ones =)

•••
Yeah I heard about this, but whether it's going to be a popular domain extension or not... only time will tell. Thanks for sharing the news with us though. :tu:

•••
wher

where could i buy.mobi from and .jobs and .travel

•••
I don't think it will take off that much. Kind of limited, don't you think? Heh.

•••
I think it will be great for services like music.mobi, travel.mobi, news.mobi, maps.mobi etc...

•••
It could very well be BIG! All it would take is one or two major companies targeting cellphones/pdas with a companyname.mobi to supplement their .com to make the extension take off. Time will tell. :)

Ugh@waiting the 90 days...lol

•••
I think mobi will become more popular than info and biz! Certainly com is the No.1

•••
lmfao .mobi i should go get some domains :D

•••
Yeah

Yeah where would you buy it from

•••
Best place to pre-order/reserve names?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back