IT.COM

discuss Misspelled Domain Name Getting Bids

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
An expiring auction (In other words, not mine) at Go Daddy, greatful.com

The correct spelling is "Grateful"

Bidding is over $500 and probably will go up.

My question: why would anyone pay so much for a domain that is more of a brandable and not such a "great" one at that?

There are 18 bidders.

Is there something special about this domain, or are the bidders notoriously bad spellers?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, Grateful has about 200,000 worldwide searches per month and Greatful has about 60,000 searches. A lot of typo domains have gone for way more like Chepticket.com for about $200,000 and so has the domain name Laon.com for about $500,000. This just shows that we live in a world where 1/3rd of people can't spell properly or are too drunk or too high to type. Overall I think that domain is worth investing. Best of luck!

•••
I think people are seeing it more as a brandable than as mis-spelling. The ending "ful" is becoming a popular add-on at the end of words. I've even seen similar words sold for decent money here on namepros such as: suitful and logoful. Thinkful.com is a popular site. And it doesn't hurt being a close typo.

•••
I noticed that the other day also. My assumption is that the domain has probably got a semi-decent estibot value due to the number of people that misspell "grateful" and they are basing their bids on that without checking the correct spelling.

•••
I agree that this is could be a decent brandable, but not $500 worth.

I have some ____ful.com domains, but I paid reg fee for them.

•••
I agree that this is could be a decent brandable, but not $500 worth.

I have some ____ful.com domains, but I paid reg fee for them.
I think it being brandable by itself wouldn't warrant paying that much unless you had a company with the exact name or if a better word was before the ful. It being a decent mis-spelling may influence this high bidding.

And who knows, maybe somebody thinks that's the actual spelling of the word grateful. lol

•••
I have noticed on auction platforms like namejet, that sometimes people bid high for typo domains. Sometimes it's due to capitalization: uppercase i (I) looks the same as lowercase l.
Remember Lnvestor.com ?
All it takes is one bidder who didn't spot the flaw, and the sheep will follow.

•••
All it takes is one bidder who didn't spot the flaw, and the sheep will follow.

that's so true Kate

bidders will think it has value, simply because other people are bidding and because of gkwt results.

but if it gets no traffic, then it's worthless

imo...

•••
I saw this a few days ago but did not place a bid, do not like it personally. Did I spell personally right? Phew!

•••
Greatful.com was listed on Domain Shane's list of auction picks a few days ago with the caption “Big boy name coming up in a few days” - might be part of the reason why its getting so many bids, despite being a typo name.

•••
Also, many domainers are not native English speakers. So they are more prone to register incorrect domains, or bid on domains that look 'good' - but aren't.

•••
Also, many domainers are not native English speakers. So they are more prone to register incorrect domains, or bid on domains that look 'good' - but aren't.

So true.

Bidding on names not in one's native tongue can be dangerous.

English is particularly tricky when it comes to its inconsistent spelling.

Even native speakers can be tripped up.

•••

I'd argue that non-native English speakers are often times much better at spelling than native English speakers (a bit hard to explain so I won't). But yeah, domains that look good (but aren't) are a much more difficult issue for non-native English speakers. I, myself, go often times absolutely crazy over some domains that look good, feel good, but I can't be 100% sure if it works in English.

•••
I'd argue that non-native English speakers are often times much better at spelling than native English speakers (a bit hard to explain so I won't).

You said what I was tempted to say and didn't.

I have taught college courses both in the U.S. and overseas, and my foreign students were, by far, better writers than my home-grown students.

Two main reasons (based on my observations):

1. Overseas, I was teaching at an elite university where students were multi-lingual and had to pass difficult entrance exams for admittance. Moreover, they were highly motivated and hungry for knowledge.

2. MOST of my U.S. students viewed higher education as a hurdle to jump over, in their search for high-paying jobs. It was all about the sheepskin, not what they gained between their ears.

While the middle C students did the minimum and muddled through, the lower-end students tended to game the system by doing the minimum work (and even cheating) and then, at the end of the semester, would keen for higher grades.​

There were exceptions, of course, and those exceptional students were a real pleasure and helped me to retain my sanity.

By the way, foreign students aren't any smarter than U.S. students -- just more motivated and more mature.

•••
@Ms Domainer That is so. But also because many languages, e.g. Finno-Ugrian languages, are written as they're spoken, i.e. one letter for one phoneme. So as those students learn difficult to spell English words, they can always memorize those words by using their own writing/spelling system which pretty much eliminates mistakes.

•••
Damn! I actually have this name in my watch list on GoDad. I own Greatfully.com. It gets traffic, I often wonder if they think its correct spelling or they like it as a brandable: Great Fully So its interesting to read what everyone had to say, informative feedback everyone!

•••
Google is a spelling nazi and the 'search instead for' will appear in search results if the owner will try to rank a website.

It may pay for itself in parking or someone just didn't check the spelling based on the volume of searches.

Hey, we all get stuck with some stinkers at times. :xf.cool:

•••
Google is a spelling nazi and the 'search instead for' will appear in search results if the owner will try to rank a website.

It may pay for itself in parking or someone just didn't check the spelling based on the volume of searches.

Hey, we all get stuck with some stinkers at times. :xf.cool:

That is the absolute truth.

:)

•••
Now up to $898 with less than one day to go.

:)

•••
Darn, I had this in my Watch list and meant to see what it went for. Anyone know? Not sure what it could be used for, as Grateful dot com would end up with a lot of its intended traffic...

•••
It was over $1,000 the last time I checked.

Anyone have the final price?

•••
•••
Any thoughts as to what on earth one could do with this name?! Maybe it's just the Monday blues but I don't think you could ever recover this value. Maybe a funky brandable? Still, you would always have to spell it out and make sure that visitors weren't going to Grateful dot com by mistake…..

•••
klng.com Admin Name: FIND YOUR DOMAIN LLC
How to pronounce this name?)

•••
klng.com Admin Name: FIND YOUR DOMAIN LLC
How to pronounce this name?)

If that is a capital "i" (I), then it's pronounceable.

If it's lower case "l" (L), then it's not pronounceable (except as individual letters).

If it's king [dot] com, it's very valuable.

But if it's an LLLL without vowels, it has value -- just not as much as "king" -- and not as a lookalike.

Greatful may have some value, but it may have more as a brandable if the buyer (if it doesn't get renewed) also owned Grateful.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back