Domain Empire

Misspelled common words for domain names. Is this legal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have a question for you all. I know that typo-squatting is illegal if you register a variation on a trademarked name, but does that same law apply if the name is a common english word? For example:

Yahooo.com/net/org = bad

eboooks.com/net/org = bad or okay?

I don't see how there can be anything wrong with registering a misspelled common word, but I thought I would get your opinions on the subject.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
eboooks.com is fine because you can't trademark a name such as books -_-

•••
yahooXXX.com will have TM issues (example : yahoooo.com) as it contains word yahoo within.

But, Yagoo.com won't have TM issues.

•••
You will definitely have legal issues with brand name domains. I wouldn't risk it. However, the eboooks is ok.

•••
eboooks.com/net/org is fine
yahooo.com/net/org is not

:talk:

•••
Okay, well what I'm wondering is this. I remember reading about a guy who got sued and lost because he bought registerr.com. Register is a common english word, so how could he lose the case?

Also, I don't think yagoo.com would be okay. I read that Amazon has sued and won for varients like anazon, etc.

•••
As long as it doesn't have the tm in it you are fine.

Regards,

•••
What is the law regarding typos of initials which are just letters such as wwwups.com or wwwgm.com? How about typos of celebrity names such as wwwbritneyspears.com? Lastly, how about dictionary word typos that are brand names such as wwwexcite.com?

•••
namegame said:
What is the law regarding typos of initials which are just letters such as wwwups.com or wwwgm.com? How about typos of celebrity names such as wwwbritneyspears.com? Lastly, how about dictionary word typos that are brand names such as wwwexcite.com?

Yeah, dictionary words that are brand names is exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned registerr.com aka register. The guy who bought that one got sued, but how can you sue someone for a dictionary word?

•••
iNod said:
As long as it doesn't have the tm in it you are fine.

Regards,

Just like a copyright, it doesn't have to have "TM" to be trademarked. It can be trademarked without the "TM", or can be a common law trademark just by being used in commerce for a particular use.

RenFromPenn said:
Okay, well what I'm wondering is this. I remember reading about a guy who got sued and lost because he bought registerr.com. Register is a common english word, so how could he lose the case?

Also, I don't think yagoo.com would be okay. I read that Amazon has sued and won for varients like anazon, etc.

Neither would be okay if they can create "confusion" in the marketplace and used for the same purpose. Harder to prove, but still winnable for the original owner.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back