Dynadot

Minisite for Links.com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi guys,

I have to go back to the drawing board for a while with Links.com, and rather than revert to a temporary blog format, I thought it might be worthwhile for me to investigate minisites, in order to generate some revenue.

Would a minisite be appropriate for Links.com? If so, if I want the highest quality site that has the potential for developing traffic, which of the minisite providers would be most appropriate?

As always, thanks for any advice and inisights.

Rich

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
:-/ You have such a great name and you want to put a "mini site" on it? Don't you think that severely limits what this site can do/achieve?

•••
Rich I think you've tried just about everything for Links.com you would probably know better than anyone what works. Seems to me if I remember correctly the name generated good type-in traffic and it seems like its a natural to park with a link portal - seems to recall NameDrive had made you up a nice custom one some years ago. Let me ask you has anything ever worked better than parking for this domain?

•••
pwr1019 said:
Let me ask you has anything ever worked better than parking for this domain?

Good point. Also, Rich, what are you ultimately doing with this name over the next 5 years: selling or keeping it?

•••
tiawood said:
:-/ You have such a great name and you want to put a "mini site" on it? Don't you think that severely limits what this site can do/achieve?

Thanks for the reply tiawood.

The minisite would just be temporary as I restructure an idea that I am working on and will take some time to complete. Using a minisite is just a thought.

Rich

pwr1019 said:
Rich I think you've tried just about everything for Links.com you would probably know better than anyone what works. Seems to me if I remember correctly the name generated good type-in traffic and it seems like its a natural to park with a link portal - seems to recall NameDrive had made you up a nice custom one some years ago. Let me ask you has anything ever worked better than parking for this domain?

Hi there pwr1019,

I had an entertainment blog on links.com for a while that was doing very well, but then plateaued, so I decided I had to move on. I want a site that is continually growing traffic - not just peaking. At least growing to some very high levels, possibly top 10,000 on Alexa or better. The blog came close but no cigar.

I am working on a new idea, but it will take some time to complete for a variety of reasons.

Rich

tiawood said:
Good point. Also, Rich, what are you ultimately doing with this name over the next 5 years: selling or keeping it?

Keeping. I want to continue to develop, and develop, and develop it until I find an idea that really sticks.

Thanks for asking.

Rich

•••
Have you tried a directory or webmaster exchange service? Maybe provide a site with that sort of service?

•••
wussadotcom said:
Have you tried a directory or webmaster exchange service? Maybe provide a site with that sort of service?

Hi there,

Thanks for asking. Yes, I looked into both of these applications. Neither of them provide sufficient potential traffic upside to justify the investment. What I need is a site that has real stickiness to attract repeat traffic. I am working on an idea, however, it needs to be reformulated. Then I need to test it out, and see if it really attracts repeat traffic. All of this, of course, takes time.

Thanks for the reply to my posting.

Have a great weekend.

Rich

•••
I'd look into taking it into another direction - golf.

•••
netmeg said:
I'd look into taking it into another direction - golf.

Hi there netmeg,

I tried golf a while ago. It is a very tough segment to compete in. The golf sites have loads of fresh content that I have no way to compete with. Unless I come up with some very unique perspective, that segment is pretty well saturated with excellent sites. If you have any ideas, I am all ears.

Thanks for the response.

Rich

•••
Well you can't develop it all yourself and get anywhere.

If I had that domain, I'd be begging, borrowing and stealing to fund a premium design and premium content. I'd put some of it up for free and the good stuff by subscription. No, it's not worth doing if it's not done right. I'd compete in that competitive niche, and I'd win.

There is a killing to be made with that domain if done right, but you're going to have to spend money to make money.

But that's me.

•••
netmeg said:
Well you can't develop it all yourself and get anywhere.

If I had that domain, I'd be begging, borrowing and stealing to fund a premium design and premium content. I'd put some of it up for free and the good stuff by subscription. No, it's not worth doing if it's not done right. I'd compete in that competitive niche, and I'd win.

There is a killing to be made with that domain if done right, but you're going to have to spend money to make money.

But that's me.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

Rich

l2ride55 said:
Perfect domain for a "domain lease" (less money but less headache too). Just to start the bidding, I bid $100 a month (lol).

L2

A while ago I looked into the leasing option, but it went no where. I may revisit this option as an interim solution. Thanks for the idea.

Rich

•••
If it was mine (I wish I had a name like that :() I would lease it to a golfer/videogame company/golf supplier. Long term lease, 10 years + at xxxxx/annum plus a 2-3% of gross. Let the money men do the building on this name.

I would definitely stay with the golf theme. That is a super premium name for that niche. Only one better is golf.com.

Good luck.

•••
Love this name :tu:
Maybe it's just me and where I live,
but when I hear links I think of fences :-/

•••
richrf said:
Hi there netmeg,

I tried golf a while ago. It is a very tough segment to compete in. The golf sites have loads of fresh content that I have no way to compete with. Unless I come up with some very unique perspective, that segment is pretty well saturated with excellent sites. If you have any ideas, I am all ears.

Thanks for the response.

Rich

LINKS.com: two obvious things come to mind "golf" and web links. Two very different things that could bring in massive amounts of dough simultainously.

Solution, forward me the domain and in the middle of December this year I'll write you a check for what I think your fair share of the profit should be.

•••
dtagr said:
If it was mine (I wish I had a name like that :() I would lease it to a golfer/videogame company/golf supplier. Long term lease, 10 years + at xxxxx/annum plus a 2-3% of gross. Let the money men do the building on this name.

I would definitely stay with the golf theme. That is a super premium name for that niche. Only one better is golf.com.

Good luck.

Thanks for the great advice. Yes, I will continue to pursue the idea of golf links. Leasing is always an option that I continue to look into. Thanks again.

Rich

mis_chiff said:
Love this name :tu:
Maybe it's just me and where I live,
but when I hear links I think of fences :-/

I haven't tried chain link fences as a category, but if the right idea comes along, I will definitely consider it. Thanks.

Rich

spotedog said:
LINKS.com: two obvious things come to mind "golf" and web links. Two very different things that could bring in massive amounts of dough simultainously.

Solution, forward me the domain and in the middle of December this year I'll write you a check for what I think your fair share of the profit should be.

:) Nothing like profits in the dead of winter. Cya then. :)

Rich

•••
Maybe you should think of something like this:

linkmarket dot net

•••
richrf said:
I had an entertainment blog on links.com for a while that was doing very well, but then plateaued, so I decided I had to move on. I want a site that is continually growing traffic - not just peaking. At least growing to some very high levels, possibly top 10,000 on Alexa or better. The blog came close but no cigar.

I think you are looking at it around the wrong way, developing for the sake of developing rather that developing because you really have an great idea.

The traffic is very broad (frankly it just isn't worth much), nothing is really going to work well from a revenue point of view if it is just random stuff like an "entertainment blog". The name itself is a very long way from a business in a box and sucessful site is going to take a heck of a lot of work on this name. The is a fact of life for untargeted type domains.

My advice would be to park it or sell it and perhaps buy a domain in an area that you have a passion for.

•••
don't forget cuff links that's what about a 3.5 trillion dollar a year market:+>

•••
Don't forget "golf links" as in a directory for all things golf.
I think I would still lease it though.

•••
testingyou said:
Maybe you should think of something like this:

linkmarket dot net

Hi,

Yes, it is a good idea and at one time I thought of doing something similar. However, I was dissuaded since the market seemed to already have several big players, who I doubt I could match. And I also thought that the space was something that might not have long term value. It is a perfect match for Links.com, but I still remain a bit unconvinced. Thanks for suggesting the idea.

Rich

snoop said:
I think you are looking at it around the wrong way, developing for the sake of developing rather that developing because you really have an great idea.

The traffic is very broad (frankly it just isn't worth much), nothing is really going to work well from a revenue point of view if it is just random stuff like an "entertainment blog". The name itself is a very long way from a business in a box and sucessful site is going to take a heck of a lot of work on this name. The is a fact of life for untargeted type domains.

My advice would be to park it or sell it and perhaps buy a domain in an area that you have a passion for.

Hi,

I agree.

I actually have a good idea, but developing it is a problem. There are many pieces that have to come together just right and it takes time to get everything to work together. But I am making good progress and recently spent lots of time planning my next steps. I really don't feel like parking the domain and as you said, an entertainment blog had limited appeal.

Thanks much for sharing with me your insights.

Rich

spotedog said:
don't forget cuff links that's what about a 3.5 trillion dollar a year market:+>

:) I had no idea the market was that big. This is an area that I could develop and I will definitely look into the possibilities. Do men really still wear cuff links? :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Rich

dtagr said:
Don't forget "golf links" as in a directory for all things golf.
I think I would still lease it though.

At one time I was working on this idea and it was pretty good. But managing a quality directory is tough, and with the advent of Google, it seemed like the directory was just not as useful as I once thought it might be.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best,
Rich

•••
no no no
i say stay away from golf the people that are highly active in golf stick to the major sites like pga.com etc
unless u get major backing i wouldn't touch golf
unless u just do a golf mini site just for affiliates and ppc!

with this name you need to go all in or go home in my opinion!

id honestly consider a ad network
may something like this could get you started untill you can afford to invest in something custom http://www.adquick.co.uk/index.php

Good Luck
PeAcE

•••
eFingerz said:
no no no
i say stay away from golf the people that are highly active in golf stick to the major sites like pga.com etc
unless u get major backing i wouldn't touch golf
unless u just do a golf mini site just for affiliates and ppc!

with this name you need to go all in or go home in my opinion!

id honestly consider a ad network
may something like this could get you started untill you can afford to invest in something custom http://www.adquick.co.uk/index.php

Good Luck
PeAcE

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, ad network was one of my original ideas. Like other ideas I had, there were many subject matter issues (you really need someone with experience in this space), so I decided to go in a different direction.

While I am developing my site, I thought I might make temporary use of minisites, but as I look over the possibilities, it seems like a minisite would not provide much value (I could always go temporarily back to a blog if I wanted to).

Thanks everyone for your very helpful advice.

Rich

•••
how abt GOLF.links.com - web.links.com

sell.links.com - buy.links.com or DUMPYOUR.links.com :snaphappy:

:xf.love: start making sub domains :p

•••
chandan said:
how abt GOLF.links.com - web.links.com

sell.links.com - buy.links.com or DUMPYOUR.links.com :snaphappy:

:xf.love: start making sub domains :p

Yes, that was one I definitely contemplated, but I ultimately decided not to go ahead because it was too diffused. I want a specific focus and branding for Links.com.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

Regards,
Rich

•••
sub domains are good to proceed now :)

as u can make a directory in dir.links.com without affecting future use of links.com home page :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back