IT.COM

Minimum OVT?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
For those of you who base your domain purchase on OVT or Google results.. what would you suggest are the minimum numbers for a potential purchase?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
1rrr1 said:
depends on the topic

Agree!
The only number I really care about is OT with ext (since the only thing I'm interested in is traffic). Even this doesn't help much in appraising the value of a particular domain, but it gives you some clue of potential traffic. OT with extension 50+ should be enough to make it worth registering regardless of topic. Of course it's not always so, just a few days ago I regged a name with OT w/e 70, so far it gets only 1 unique/day :'( . But in most cases it works pretty well for me.

•••
By OT with Ext.. what exactly do you mean? I'm new at that end of it.. thanks!

lind said:
Agree!
The only number I really care about is OT with ext (since the only thing I'm interested in is traffic). Even this doesn't help much in appraising the value of a particular domain, but it gives you some clue of potential traffic. OT with extension 50+ should be enough to make it worth registering regardless of topic. Of course it's not always so, just a few days ago I regged a name with OT w/e 70, so far it gets only 1 unique/day :'( . But in most cases it works pretty well for me.

•••
say ovt w/ ext means that someone was looking for domainname.com. Domainname = what ever the domain name happens to be.

•••
Suppose that domain has never been regged.. then presumably the OVT would be low or non-existent, yet the name could still be nice?

pynchon said:
say ovt w/ ext means that someone was looking for domainname.com. Domainname = what ever the domain name happens to be.

•••
just means that people are searching for it.

I am sure right after the vio?? recall came into affect. There where people searching for vio??lawsuit.com or vio??recall.com

These are just examples off the top of my head.

Thanks

•••
OVT with EXT. is not worth much - Just my HO.

OVT without isn't much better - again just my HO.

As was just pointed out in this thread, BUYER BEWARE of OVT and other things :)

Good luck,

•••
I've been confused about this OVT with ext thingy - Why/who would search for any term WITH extension?

•••
cera said:
I've been confused about this OVT with ext thingy - Why/who would search for any term WITH extension?
there is more chance of traffic

•••
1rrr1 said:

No, no, I mean, an ovt of 50 for 'domainname' with ext means that there were 50 searches for 'domainname.ext'. Do people really include an extension with their search term? Why?

•••
cera said:
No, no, I mean, an ovt of 50 for 'domainname' with ext means that there were 50 searches for 'domainname.ext'. Do people really include an extension with their search term? Why?

Good question, I have been wondering, too. But it works and that's what's important. :hehe:

•••
cera said:
1rrr1 said:

Generally, no. When you see results of a domain with extension, that may indicate that the domain receives type-in traffic. Most of those results could be from people that mistakenly type the name into a search engine instead of their address bar, while others may indicate people searching for more information on a site.

•••
dgridley said:
For those of you who base your domain purchase on OVT or Google results.. what would you suggest are the minimum numbers for a potential purchase?

As someone already suggested - it depends on topic.
It also depends on what your plans are for the domain name.
If you are going to develop it then OVT & Google results make little difference. The fewer there are the better chance of getting your site to the top of the results.
If you plan to sell then the higher number suggests (usually) that there are more potential clients for the name.

IMHO Overture results/Google results should not be the major consideration.
OVT or Wordtracker SEARCHES seem much more relevant to me.

•••
When basing a domain purchase based on Ovt only - I really like to see something in the 100,000 + range .... unless it is a term found with a high PPC Value already (Rarely found in any decent extensions) or I just want the domain for later Development (Already know a good path to follow to set it up ) - I have many with less than this amount (100,000) , But they were either incredible deals - or Something I just wanted. ~~~ As stated above though , There are problems with using Ovt as a buying Guide .....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back