IT.COM

domain memorize.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

trogdoro

Established Member
Impact
Would like tips on how much to list it for, and suggestions for where to auction it. It seems like the general area of using technology to get facts into the brain (via various means) is starting to ramp up. So maybe holding into it is a smarter move?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
wow man, you got your retirement. wtg. (y)

•••
Throw up a lander and wait.. Could take 5+ years but it's not going to reach anywhere near the number you're asking for at auction.

•••
In my opinion this might be the kind of elite name that would be worth the commission to have a seller's broker. The broker might be able to open doors, and build trust, that would not be obtained by simply listing on a marketplace or with a lander.

While memorize is a really nice word, there are certainly a number of companies that would not consider it as a brand because of possible negative connotations around memorization vs true learning.

At some price point it would be very appealing to an app, educational game, etc. but I presume you want a higher price than they would give.

Best of luck with it.

Bob

•••
In my opinion this might be the kind of elite name that would be worth the commission to have a seller's broker. The broker might be able to open doors, and build trust, that would not be obtained by simply listing on a marketplace or with a lander.

I'm interested in exploring that. How does one go about connecting with a sellers broker? Should I reach out to them?

•••
I have never had a name of sufficient quality to work with a broker personally, but I did attend the "Working with a broker" expert roundtable at NamesCon 2019. Andrew at DNW has interviewed brokers multiple times that would also be a way to learn more about some of them.

Here is a list of domain brokers that Elliot maintains:
https://domaininvesting.com/guide/list-of-domain-brokers/

Some do mainly buying, some mainly selling, some both.

What I would do is some online research to see what sort of names some of the brokers have successfully sold, and try to find something that seems comparable to niche of your name.

Then, yes, I would approach them with a simple query giving the domain name and perhaps your expectations in terms of price range (or let them suggest one) and time window when you hope to have sold the domain.

I think this is the kind of thing as a courtesy you should sequentially approach them until you find someone who takes it, rather than approaching a bunch in parallel.

People please correct me if I am wrong on any of this, or to offer additional advice.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Name doesn't excite me at all, sure it's one word, but someone really has to believe hard into branding it.

I see uses thru a simple search of language study, but learning, and memorizing a language are two different things.

If you have owned it almost 12 years, and somebody really wanted it, you would have received such an offer in your inbox already.

Only way it ever sells for that I don't want to sell it price if it is a function of some sort of application, or platform with a major company backing it. Like others have said, put up a lander, and let the lowballers roll in, hopefully you get your whale, you just never know. It costs you $10 per year to wait it out.

Last edited:
•••
My suggestion is to contact the memrise company and see if they're interested in buying the domain from you.They appear to be successful company that can directly benefit from owning that domain, maybe to redirect to their site. How much type in traffic do you get to that site?
Also the domain broker suggestion above is a good one.

•••
My suggestion is to contact the memrise company and see if they're interested in buying the domain from you.They appear to be successful company that can directly benefit from owning that domain, maybe to redirect to their site. How much type in traffic do you get to that site?
Also the domain broker suggestion above is a good one.
If they even responded and had interest, they’d offer probably 25% of what I already offered him. Like @wwwweb said: Put it on the market and put up a lander and hopefully we’ll see a $50k+ sale in the next couple of years. I look forward to it.

Bottom line is, it’s a cool name but nothing amazing.

Go to Crunchbase and search for companies called “Memorize”. After that look up how many TM’s are currently registered for the exact word...

In regards to brokerage. Yes a few brokers would take it, but they’d only offer it to Brent, Drew and a handful of other investors. Max one of them might pay is $20k (maybe).

Not a great name for outbound end-user brokerage because there are barely any end-users.

Last edited:
•••
My suggestion is to contact the memrise company and see if they're interested in buying the domain from you.

The Memrise founder actually reached out a while back and wanted to buy it just for the purposes of redirecting to memrise.com, but we couldn't agree on a price.

•••
The Memrise founder actually reached out a while back and wanted to buy it just for the purposes of redirecting to memrise.com, but we couldn't agree on a price.

Like others have mentioned to you, you will likely need to wait years to sell this domain anywhere close to where your asking for it, if at all.

The likelihood of you just listing it for auction and getting a high five or even six figure offer is close to nil. Not sure your time horizon for how long you want to wait - since you want to put a downpayment on a mortgage but realistically you are talking 10 years+ horizon with no guarantees of a sale that high...

The fact that Memrise (an end user) couldn't give you the price you wanted should be telling.

•••
Standing by $100k valuation.
But that's with a developed site.
There are so many possibilities for your domain.
US population is around 300 million.
You need 10,000 subscribers paying $20 a year and that's $200,000 a year.
I would secure the brand first before you try to sell it.

•••
Huh? This is a domain valuation, not an imaginary business valuation.

•••
How much traffic is the name getting?

•••

Keyword is developed site. His is neither at this point. It's an undeveloped name. In order to develop it to the point described above, it would require significant invested capital for web/software development.

If it were so easy, people (yourself included) would be running to take his $50K asking price, spend $25k to develop it and then sell it for $100,000 for an easy $25k+ profit.

Or perhaps you think you are seeing something that Memrise's founder didn't see? Enlighten us...

•••
Keyword is developed site. His is neither at this point. It's an undeveloped name. In order to develop it to the point described above, it would require significant invested capital for web/software development.

If it were so easy, people (yourself included) would be running to take his $50K asking price, spend $25k to develop it and then sell it for $100,000 for an easy $25k+ profit.

Or perhaps you think you are seeing something that Memrise's founder didn't see? Enlighten us...

Nothing wrong with a friendly debate...
But this is an appraisal thread, not an auction. If I had $50k I'd develop self-washing socks.
I gave just one of many examples of potential use.
But the obvious one is a similar site to memrise. It's a simple business model and fairly easy to replicate the tech side.
Why are snoring.com ($500k), sleeping.com ($500k), strength.com ($300K) all worth more than memorize-com, given the potential markets?
Look at recent similar sales on Namebio then please justify.
Unless you need the $10k cash right now, register long-term and wait for the right offer.

Last edited:
•••
Anyone have an opinion on a broker called Media Options (mediaoptions.com)?

•••
Anyone have an opinion on a broker called Media Options (mediaoptions.com)?

They have some ridiculously valuable domains listed for sale on their website. https://www.mediaoptions.com/premium-domains-for-sale. I particularly like Diamond/com (not sure if $5.9m is a reasonable valuation?), although the plural would be better. Also GoldNugget/com is cool and SilverGold/com is a killer domain for SEO ranking. Nothing listed for platinum or bullion. There's some very useful domain name info on their blog and check out this one called "The True Cost of Your Domain Name" https://www.mediaoptions.com/domain-names/the-true-cost-of-your-domain-name-strategy.html.

•••
I could see a brandable marketplace listing this name for high 5 figures (or even more). Without knowing their selling record, it could be an alternative route - if you haven't received a single offer on it in all these years.

You might get a few more eyes on it when listed as a "premium" name and it would probably rank high, at for instance SH.

•••
What is the highest offer that you received right now

•••
Looks like it is listed via MO for $250K yeaahawww

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back