Dynadot

new gtlds McDonald's says NO to gTLDs (New Domain Extensions)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TRY

StrongPunch.comTop Member
Impact
McDonald's no longer has plans for new gtlds and terminate it agreement with icann.

"The restaurant chain applied to run the .McDonalds and .MCD top level domain names, but it recently sent termination notices (pdf) to domain name overseer ICANN voluntarily relinquishing the two domains.

It joins a host of companies that applied for so-called .brand top level domain names that have decided it’s not worth the expense or effort."

Source: http://domainnamewire.com/2017/07/05/mcdonalds-takes-domain-names-off-menu/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What exactly would they ever use this for?

eat.mcdonalds ronald.mcdonalds lovinit.mcdonalds calories.mcdonalds jobs.mcdonalds?

Maybe a cybersquatter or griper with 100k to play with will now set up .mcdonalds and create boycott.mcdonalds or trash.mcdonalds or mclibel.mcdonalds

•••
how to use .mcd?

mcdonalds.mcd?
mc.mcd?

best choise it mcdonalds.com. all known .com zone

•••
Monopoly.mcd

Monopoly. Mcdonalds

Not a terrible use case no?

•••
I am looking at different perspective dot McDonalds might be to long for an extension, dot MCD people will not immediately recognize them as owner.

•••
Picture0019.png

I want a .nampepros so I can quickly register dn.namepros :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:

•••
Wrong choice.
But you would say that, Jean. :) Seriously though, I think that a few more brand gTLDs will be making a similar decision. While a brand gTLD might be justifiable in terms of a widely internationalised corporation with a trust based product (think banks and similar), there would be a changing cost for upgrading the corporation's internal e-mail and web services to cope with the new gTLD. One of the big problems in the late 2000s was the cybersquatting of brands as part of Domain Tasting and it was against this background of promoting a distinct brand gTLD as an answer to this that ICANN managed to convince a lot of companies to apply for the brand gTLDs. However, the usage on these brands has been close to zero.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Show attachment 63919

I want a .nampepros so I can quickly register dn.namepros :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:
The application fee will be $185K plust another $50K for various consultants and you may not even get the gTLD. :) Still want that dn.namepros domain?

Regards...jmcc

•••
What exactly would they ever use this for?

eat.mcdonalds ronald.mcdonalds lovinit.mcdonalds calories.mcdonalds jobs.mcdonalds?
And internal e-mail and other things.

Maybe a cybersquatter or griper with 100k to play with will now set up .mcdonalds and create boycott.mcdonalds or trash.mcdonalds or mclibel.mcdonalds
Except that the ICANN approval system was designed to prevent that kind of situation.

Regards...jmcc

•••
remember back when McDonalds didn't find it important or necessary to register mcdonalds.com. Then they had to cry like babies to get it from the person who owned it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back