NameSilo

parking Maximizing Domain Revenue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Whizzbang

VIP Member
ParkLogic.com
Impact
After publishing the article, “Getting Dirty in the Domain Data”, earlier this week I ended up having an interesting discussion with a domain investor. I thought that it would be worthwhile continuing to pull apart the data from the previous post to help many domain investors understand why optimising traffic across multiple monetisation solution is so beneficial.

I will be referring to the data from the previous article so you may wish to read it if you haven’t done so already.

Sampling by Changing the DNS

Many domain investors sample different parking providers by changing the DNS. This method is fraught with many problems that largely stem from comparing results from single sources across different periods of time. Some of the challenges are:

1. What are you measuring?
Revenue is not a good measurement of success as there will be different levels of traffic at different points in time. Since parking companies count traffic different you can’t rely on the produced Revenue Per Thousand Visitors (RPM) numbers.

Read More >

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are a lot of strategies around sampling but they basically boil down
the single question, “What did the information cost?”

In other words, if I was earning one dollar with one company and then sampled another
company and found they were paying 90 cents then the information cost me 10 cents.

-what does the information cost using ParkLogic?
-by the way - ParkLogic doesn't reveal the information but keeps it for themself-

Based upon the data, decisions need to be made literally milli-second by milli-second.

- that is sheer nonsense,
if you think of for most domains you will have 1 billion decision
before the next visitor arrives

As an example, we track over 250 different metrics for every domain every day and process this data to alter how the traffic is routed. Layered over the top of this daily data we then can then incorporate external dynamic data such as geo-based weather..

-> that sounds nice
but is irrelevant for most domains due to a lack of high traffic

Last edited:
•••
Frank, when we spoke last you indicated that you are doing less than $100/month in revenue. I think that many people should be aware that your comments are made within the bounds of this context and not someone that is managing tens of thousands of dollars per day in traffic.

-what does the information cost using ParkLogic?
-by the way - ParkLogic doesn't reveal the information but keeps it for themself-
In terms of information cost, it depends upon the domain and at what point in time. If you are referring to our commission then we are up front and completely transparent with our clients for what we charge for our services.
In the example I was referring to in the article "Maximising Domain Revenue" the client and ParkLogic was working our way through all the data generated from all sources. We do not mobilise this data in our interface but we are happy to share it with clients. The biggest question to ask is, "What would you do with the information if you have it?"

- that is sheer nonsense, if you think of for most domains you will have 1 billion decision before the next visitor arrives
Milli-seconds are thousandths of a second....you are referring to nano-seconds. Given this, there is actually a large fall-off in user interactivity on a page if the decision making time to display the page is greater than 100 milliseconds. In fact, given the volume of traffic we are managing there are times when we actually do process individually queries less than 0.00001 of a second apart from one another.

As an example, we track over 250 different metrics for every domain every day and process this data to alter how the traffic is routed. Layered over the top of this daily data we then can then incorporate external dynamic data such as geo-based weather..
-> that sounds nice but is irrelevant for most domains due to a lack of high traffic
Actually no.....I hate to say this but this clearly demonstrates the level of naiveite that you have regarding traffic management and optimisation. The domains would less traffic should be looked after with even greater care than the ones with large volumes of traffic.

•••
another thought:

if your direct advertiser spends a larger amount during summer
he was obviously making money from that domain traffic.

so you were missing out in revenue big time

better would have been to send the traffic to the same offer
the direct advertiser was advertising

•••
Given that we can't possibly be in every business known to mankind we have made the decision to get as close to the end "manufacturer/service" as possible. In the case of the domain in my article this is the reason why the domain suddenly exploded in value during summer. The traffic went directly to a direct advertiser and bypassed Google.

•••
Can i have an example of name parked with you?

•••
Can i have an example of name parked with you?
Sure - flcourt.org. This domain is currently being offered to direct advertising networks but it looks like Sedo is currently winning. Looking at the data....Voodoo and Parking Crew won the traffic earlier in the month.

•••
Frank, when we spoke last you indicated that you are doing less than $100/month in revenue. I think that many people should be aware that your comments are made within the bounds of this context and not someone that is managing tens of thousands of dollars per day in traffic.

yeah right

but they should also be aware that there was a time when I made $6.000 USD / month in parking
-I started parking in 2001 or 2000-
and that I skipped parking as my main income several years ago

when I left parkologic that was the start of the end

and I stopped registering domains for parking
and send my domains no longer to parked pages
at least not the once that I registered for sale purpose

but of course if parking would work somehow that would be great
thats why I am highly interested

Last edited:
•••
let me prove my experience as you try to undermine my authority

upload_2016-10-30_10-45-2.png

•••
It wasn't a desire to undermine your authority but more a case of readers need to know where you are coming from. I'm happy to answer genuine questions but I'm not sure if you realise it but your tone comes across as both sarcastic and very aggressive.... Enquire into things you need clarification on....don't ridicule and try and belittle. You'll get a much more positive reaction.

Also, I'm not sure why you presented your data from 2007 and 2002.....a lot has changed since those times.....

•••
Was curious about the domain you mentioned

Screenshot_2016-10-30-09-50-26.png

Nice keywords..surprised parked at Sedo!

•••
Trying to find a list of all the advertisers use use.
So does it show sedo ads one day, parking crew the next? Both in the same day?
Can you tell how much was the last click for flcourt?

•••
Trying to find a list of all the advertisers use use.
So does it show sedo ads one day, parking crew the next? Both in the same day?
Can you tell how much was the last click for flcourt?
No it doesn't show Sedo one day and someone else the next. It depends on who is winning. For a start real-time bidding advertising networks make offers on each piece of traffic coming through the system. If they don't offer enough then we send the traffic through to the currently winning parking provider or affiliate program.

This process may also mean that people in different geographic regions may experience different advertisers as everything is optimised to increase the yield.

We're pretty simple, we send the traffic to the highest payer at that point in time. Yesterday we had an EPC of $2.60 but what we really look at is the normalised RPM which was $174.

•••
We're pretty simple, we send the traffic to the highest payer at that point in time. Yesterday we had an EPC of $2.60 but what we really look at is the normalised RPM which was $174.

yesterday I had an EPC of $0.06 USD and a RPM of $1.15 USD
as where I park my domains
they don't tell me the final results for yesterday before the day after tomorrow

•••
Also, I'm not sure why you presented your data from 2007 and 2002.....a lot has changed since those times.....

really?

let me explain:

its ment to prove, that I have a lot of experience in parking
and that I was able to generate at least $1.421 USD/month once in parking at sedo.

And having 205.123 hits / 8.670 clicks in sedo alone at that time

so it proves that this:

and this:

Actually no.....I hate to say this but this clearly demonstrates the level of naiveite that you have regarding traffic management and optimisation. The domains would less traffic should be looked after with even greater care than the ones with large volumes of traffic.

is actually not true.

Let me further mention the fact that I did not continue using parklogic
after I tried it for a few month, as it did not increase my revenue.

And this is true despite the fact, you claim to have a lot of nice theories
on how to "optimise" traffic in "real time" .

So I tend to validate your theories.

And from my experience developing traffic splitting systems
since 2007 and optimising domain traffic,
I find most of them well let's say "sounds nice".

We do not mobilise this data in our interface but we are happy to share it with clients. The biggest question to ask is, "What would you do with the information if you have it?"

Let me explain.
As parklogic did not use my parking accounts
at that time, there was no additional benefit for me or my domain parking strategy
generated from the insight parklogic got while using my traffic .

And I lost overview, not having all the stats,
as since I terminated my account
I didn't have access for more then a few weeks to see the stats.

And I am still not sure if all my domains are really transfered back into my own parking accounts. -even after all these years there is always this doubt-

In parklogic no information about Landing Page that performed best,
Keywords that triggered the most clicks,
or where did the Visitor came from that made the higher ticket clicks,
was ever available to me.

So I was not able to learn anything from my traffic while using parkklogic.

Did I mention that I had no access to the orignal parking account.
- statistics and so on where not revealed to me -
other then through parklogic after a delay of about 5 to 6 days.
-At that time I was thinking, you must be manually importing the data-

So in the end
I did not earn more from my domain parking traffic after parklogics commission,
but I lost money and I lost insight into my domains ( got only hits and revenue )

My parking accounts did not benefit as the history
is not in my account.

I am not convinced when you continue to claim all those benefits of your system,
in fact I highly doubt them by default.

Last edited:
•••
Hi Frank,
I would much rather have this conversation in provite but since you brought it up publicly then I will reply here.
1. The maximum your account earned at ParkLogic in any month was $103.65. I agree with you that in your case where you did just over $3/day in revenue that ParkLogic is not the solution for you. We typically have a minimum threshold of $250 per month....and even that is at the low end of the scale. The reason why is that at those low levels a "lucky" click or lack thereof can have a dramatic impact on the overall results.

2. ParkLogic is not a hands on solution....it's an outsourced model for domain investors with larger portfolios that work on trends rather than individual domains themselves. This is not necessarily a model suited to everyone as some people like to tinker with their domains. We understand and appreciate this but clients that would like to do this really aren't our target market.

3. We do not provide in our interface details on landing pages etc. because what would a person do with this information? From experience, this type of information often becomes overwhelming and not available in the majority of the parking solutions APIs. When we first launched ParkLogic the major client complaint was too much information.....we then reduced this back dramatically. At anytime a client requests we can pull masses of data for them.

4. In terms of stats. We have always provided domain level stats for raw traffic, views, clicks, CTR, EPC, RPM, nRPM and Revenue....so not sure why you didn't download these. We can also provide this information on a monetisation source basis....plus a lot more as well.

5. One of the problems we face when someone signs up via our website and we've never heard of them is that we don't know whether they will be fraudulent or not. I would recommend that anyone that signs up from NamePros contacts me here so that I can personally ensure that they are looked after and not potentially caught up in an anti-fraud system.

6. When you talk about clicks and views you need to understand that clicks and views are manipulated by how they are counted at each monetisation source. In the past some parking solutions reported less views to artifically increase their RPM (revenue per thousand views) and used this in their marketing materials as "we are the highest paying RPM company". What really matters is the normalised RPM. This allows us to directly compare one source to versus another with no filtering of the data disrupting the results.

I hope this answers all of your questions :)

•••
6. When you talk about clicks and views you need to understand that clicks and views are manipulated by how they are counted at each monetisation source. In the past some parking solutions reported less views to artifically increase their RPM (revenue per thousand views) and used this in their marketing materials as "we are the highest paying RPM company".

yeah, it 's a bad world ..
you really need to look twice
and double check each and every informaion...

•••
Based upon the data, decisions need to be made literally milli-second by milli-second.

So how come you can decide "literally milli-second by milli-second" in advance which parking company pays best, when -at least in my parking accounts- they only report the amount paid per click on that day - after 2 or 3 or even 4 days have passed?????

To me that is even more unpredictable as I see domains having most of the time a CPC of up lets say $0.89 USD on some days suffer at $0.04 CPC.

????

•••
...The maximum your account earned at ParkLogic in any month was $103.65. I agree with you that in your case where you did just over $3/day in revenue that ParkLogic is not the solution for you. We typically have a minimum threshold of $250 per month....and even that is at the low end of the scale. The reason why is that at those low levels a "lucky" click or lack thereof can have a dramatic impact on the overall results.

You send me $220.13 USD on 3 sept 2012 for the month of july 2012

If I recall right you took a 25% commission upfront

So I was very well above your profitability threathhold of $250 USD/ month

upload_2016-11-1_11-29-32.png

•••
You send me $220.13 USD on 3 sept 2012 for the month of july 2012

If I recall right you took a 25% commission upfront

So I was very well above your profitability threathhold of $250 USD/ month

Show attachment 42326
That was an aggregated payment from 6 months of earnings.....

•••
So how come you can decide "literally milli-second by milli-second" in advance which parking company pays best, when -at least in my parking accounts- they only report the amount paid per click on that day - after 2 or 3 or even 4 days have passed?????

To me that is even more unpredictable as I see domains having most of the time a CPC of up lets say $0.89 USD on some days suffer at $0.04 CPC.

????
Because although parking companies may report data on a daily basis advertising networks don't. In addition, real-time bidding on traffic is literally by the millisecond.

•••
That was an aggregated payment from 6 months of earnings.....

yes you are right
23.1.2012 account created
mid feb nameserver change started

1.mai 2013 payment of $137.64 USD
3. sept 2012 payment of $220.13 USD

I can't find any other payment in my records so far

.. and I found this email

upload_2016-11-1_18-41-14.png

upload_2016-11-1_18-44-42.png

12 /2012
I just left Parklogic
and switch to parkingcrew

upload_2016-11-1_18-48-29.png

upload_2016-11-1_18-47-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-1_18-44-26.png
    upload_2016-11-1_18-44-26.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 50
•••
Frank,
That's great! I'm really happy that everything is working out for you. Parking Crew is a great team and a close partner of ParkLogic. It's clear that you're pretty passionate about your domains and that everything is working out for you. So how much revenue are you doing now?

Michael

•••
I cant see anything in that list at first glance
and I get bored as its long

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back