IT.COM

domain Mateup.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
The two vowels next to each other
eu
not so good.

Name has definite potential but for anyone looking to start a dating site which is all it’s really good for there are much better choices unfortunately. Starting such a site is extremely expensive so is someone spending that kind of money going to go with an ersatz name?

Last edited:
•••
The two vowels next to each other
eu
not so good.

Name has definite potential but for anyone looking to start a dating site which is all it’s really good for there are much better choices unfortunately. Starting such a site is extremely expensive so is someone spending that kind of money going to go with an ersatz name?

Mateup.com can pass the ear test easily ...

•••
•••
Mateup.com can pass the ear test easily ...
I think @xynames makes some excellent points. I'm in the same boat as far as sales potential.

As for the ear test, Mateup sounds an awful lot like... "made up".

•••
I think @xynames makes some excellent points. I'm in the same boat as far as sales potential.

As for the ear test, Mateup sounds an awful lot like... "made up".

Domainers are competitors ..:yawn:.... still waiting for unbiased opinions

•••
Domainers are competitors ..:yawn:.... still waiting for unbiased opinions
You'll be waiting a long time. It's all domainers on this forum.

Don't dismiss people who take the time to provide feedback that YOU asked for. It's rude. Just say thanks and move on.

•••
•••
Mateup.com is a Premium Domain
Appraisal Value: 5K+

Last edited:
•••
•••
So you want confirmations, not honest appraisals?

Then yeah, 1 mil+

•••
•••
•••
Could be a poor man's meetup. I think romantic when I hear mate. Ofcourse the Aussies made mate a general friendly term, so I might be like what's up mate when talking with a friend.

Seems like a dating site or a meet up site for mates! I think mid XXX is your ceiling and reg fee is the floor.

•••
Mateup.com Estimated Value: $4,446 (USD) by godaddy

Similar Domain Sold.
appup.com $3,000 (USD)
quizup.com $2,888 (USD)
tossup.com $4,000 (USD)

Domain appraisal of this domain name are more than $5000 plus and its nice name.

•••

Similar Domain Sold.
appup.com $3,000 (USD)
quizup.com $2,888 (USD)
tossup.com $4,000 (USD)

Domain appraisal of this domain name are more than $5000 plus and its nice name.

I concur with Rahul25, mateup domain name is short ; I think is catchy and brandable. its could be worth plus $5K but you will need to find a buyer.

•••

Similar Domain Sold.
appup.com $3,000 (USD)
quizup.com $2,888 (USD)
tossup.com $4,000 (USD)

Data is fun! Let's look at some more:

Best sale ever recorded by a name starting with "Mate" - MateBox in 2013 for $2,395
Best recent sale - Mately in Oct 2018 for $1,136
(Note: these two names have some existing possible end users)

Total recorded NameBio sales featuring "Mate" at the start - 10 over 13 years.

Searchable businesses currently using the term "MateUp" - Zero

Developed sites on other extensions of "MateUp" - Zero

Names on BrandBucket where "mate" is the featured word at the start of the name - One (Mate.ly, listed at $1,795)

Names at Brandpa containing "mate" - Zero

Names at BrandRoot containing "mate" - Zero

Other extensions are owned (net, org, info, co), but they are all owned by OP.

Radio test
The importance of this factor cannot be stressed enough. If a company branded under this name, anyone talking about the site would have to explain how it's spelled... because if I tell someone they should check out MateUp.com, that person is going to type in "MadeUp.com". "Made up" is a very popular and common English expression.

Conclusion:
If we're going to look at data to justify valuations, let's look at the right data. AppUp sold for $3,000 because "App" is a solid and popular keyword. "Mate" is not, and it does not sell well or often when it is the featured keyword in a name.

This is further evidenced by the fact that three of the major brandable domain marketplaces basically have no names that feature "Mate" as the main keyword. Actually, "Mate" works far better as a pairing word (LunchMate, DeskMate, ToolMate).

So given that AppUp sold for $3,000, how on Earth does one arrive at the conclusion that MateUp has a valuation of $5,000+ ??

OP - You have some fantastic names in your portfolio, but this is not one of them. While I'm sure it feels great to have these brand new members tell you that your name is a gold mine, I hope you can recognize that the data and the common sense factors are very much against you.

I would list the name with a BIN between $500 and $999 and would be very pleased with a sale in that range.

I would also drop all but the .com of the name.

•••
After reviewing some of OP’s other threads it’s clear that he has very high expectations for all of his domains. I don’t expect that he will close any sales for any of them anytime soon perhaps ever given those expectations.

•••
That's a very good analysis by Joe. any further 'UPS' are just somebody not listening.

It's also worth remembering that the word 'Mate' has its acceptance in the UK and Australia as much as the US would use the word Buddy. It's never easy analyzing words that don't necessarily cross borders..

It's probably going to be limited to a mobile app for AUS and the UK

Alright Mate

Last edited:
•••
That's a very good analysis by Joe. any further 'UPS' are just somebody not listening.

It's also worth remembering that the word 'Mate' has its acceptance in the UK and Australia as much as the US would use the word Buddy. It's never easy analyzing words that don't necessarily cross boarders..

It's probably going to be limited to a mobile app for AUS and the UK

Alright Mate
Agreed! Mate is a nice and widely accepted term in those countries... but that still doesn't excuse the radio test issue. I really do think that's a brand killer. Last thing you want is for someone to say your company name and to have everyone think you're saying something else.

•••
I have heard other domains like takl dot com being promoted, they always spell the names . . .

Plus you can get someone to enunciate clearly and that would help the made vs mate.

Having said that I agree with what the consensus is, minimal potential.

•••
In my early registration days 1999/2000 I was jumping for joy when I could register certain words (and combos) in .com, Yep I forgot to question why the availability. Took me a few years for the penny-to-drop ;)

•••
Still firm in my opinion that some domainers are compititors but thank you for heating up the discussion...:xf.wink:

Radio test
Just to give you a hint. ..

Meet vs meat .....
Mate vs made

Take care

•••
Radio test
Just to give you a hint. ..

Meet vs meat .....
Mate vs made

Take care
Fantastic example! Let's take it further...

MeetUp.com - Great name!
MeatUp.com - Not so good.

MeatShop.com - Great name!
MeetShop.com - Not so good.

MadeUp.com - Great name!
MateUp.com - You get the idea...

You need to look not only at your single feature word, but at the whole domain name together. Adding the word "up" changes the entire context and will make all English speakers (yes, all of them) think of "Made up". Why? Because people know the term. They use it. It makes the most sense.

Even pronunciation of the term is made more difficult, because the Mate and Up sounds run together... It's much harder to make the distinctive "T" sound in a natural, conversational way. However, if the name were MateNow, MateMe, or MateForever, then the radio test issue would be a much smaller concern.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back