Domain Empire

discuss Massive Portfolio Domainers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Those of you with several thousand domains, did you build up the portfolio over time or you have some automated scripted which buys up domains on expiredlists and closeouts upon a certain criteria/algorithm?

I can't imagine how one can buy 10000 domain names manually.

Just went through the portfolio of a random dude on DAN and he had over 7000 domains and many looked like they were registered automatically and yet some were gold

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even I buy 4-5 domains every day, but I am realizing it is becoming quite a task, I am not sure if I am getting a good "wage" per hour. The problem is that it is fun, like playing a game and eating into my other productive time.
And hence my question. Not so much about the "volume" per se, but what kind of automated tools do you use to make the shortlist less time consuming.

I would for eg like a tool that would give a criteria and then fetch the monthly keyword volume for geo words and commercial words.

For non commercial words, I would like something that will fetch similar names sold, and so on.

I would like to set up an alert when some kind of critiria goes to the pending delete pool.

•••
•••
I own approx 17,000 domains and I'm a one-man business. I've put those together over 20 years but I'm only a sporadic buyer now. To keep pace and expand the portfolio I'd probably have to hire someone, which I don't want to do. I'm actually culling quiet a few over the next year.

•••
I own approx 17,000 domains and I'm a one-man business. I've put those together over 20 years but I'm only a sporadic buyer now. To keep pace and expand the portfolio I'd probably have to hire someone, which I don't want to do. I'm actually culling quiet a few over the next year.
HOW DO YOU KEEP track of those?
What if you want to change the BIN of all lol lol

Did you list them all at one place?
And how many domains do you manage to sell in a month?

•••
HOW DO YOU KEEP track of those?
What if you want to change the BIN of all lol lol

Did you list them all at one place?
And how many domains do you manage to sell in a month?

I keep track of them in a large excel file :)

The names are priced according to bands, i.e, 995, 1995, 2995, etc. Every few months I go through the list and determine if price changes are in order, but it's only every year or so that I would do a bulk change,

I list them at the regular venues, such as Afternic, Sedo, and DAN. All allow for bulk upload and pricing changes.

•••
You need both if you want to make steady passive sales and have a repeatable business model.

Brad

Beg to differ Brad, I believe that can be achieved with quality portfolio as well :)

•••
Beg to differ Brad, I believe that can be achieved with quality portfolio as well :)
A wise man once said, that every body's domaining style is different. What works for one, might not work for another.
I think it was @rohitgoyal

•••
Not sure, but that's spot on bud.

A wise man once said, that every body's domaining style is different. What works for one, might not work for another.
I think it was @rohitgoyal

There's something that may not work for me however, will work for you or others and may work for me, but not for you!

•••
•••

Sure. Do what works.

The bottom line though is with an average sell through rate, not having a quantity of solid domains is statistically less likely to work. If the average STR is say 1-2% and you have 20 total domains, that is 1-2 passive end user sale every 5 years on average.

I have known plenty of people with that model who end up hitting a dead end because of a lack of cash flow.

If it works for you then great, but for it to work you really need a much higher STR or much higher average price than the norm.

Either that or you need to turn it into a job by out-bounding, which is an entirely different thing than passive investments.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
@Ategy also likes to nerd out in the sell through,

lol .. yeah .. and funny timing .. later on today, in about 10 hours, I'm doing a special edition of The Domain Social featuring discussions on domainer and portfolio math and my Portfolio Projection Simulator that was previously discussed here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/turning-10-000-into-1-000-000-in-6-years-of-domaining.1175266/

If you want to attend the Zoom later on today, be sure to be subscribed to The Domain Social if you aren't already (you can do it at TheDomainSocial.com). The session starts at 4pm Eastern, but make sure you subscribe before 2pm Eastern, as that's around when I'll be sending the invitations. Anyhow .. here's what I wrote in the other thread:

BONUS EDITION of The Domain Social featuring Domainer and Portfolio math.

I will basically be doing a live Zoom with the spreadsheet from this discussion, where you can all ask me to change the variables live to anything you'd like.

I'll be sending the Zoom invitations 2 hours before showtime to everyone currently subscribed to The Domain Social, so subscribe at http://TheDomainSocial.com before 2pm Eastern Time if you want to join.

Here are some previous editions of The Domain Social, although this one will be different from the others and specifically intended for Domainer and Portfolio Math:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbW5sUR0Fnbf03pkgtbJWNw

4pm Eastern = 1pm Pacific = 9pm London = 8pm UTC

•••
lol .. yeah .. and funny timing .. later on today, in about 10 hours, I'm doing a special edition of The Domain Social featuring discussions on domainer and portfolio math and my Portfolio Projection Simulator that was previously discussed here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/turning-10-000-into-1-000-000-in-6-years-of-domaining.1175266/

If you want to attend the Zoom later on today, be sure to be subscribed to The Domain Social if you aren't already (you can do it at TheDomainSocial.com). The session starts at 4pm Eastern, but make sure you subscribe before 2pm Eastern, as that's around when I'll be sending the invitations. Anyhow .. here's what I wrote in the other thread:

BONUS EDITION of The Domain Social featuring Domainer and Portfolio math.

I will basically be doing a live Zoom with the spreadsheet from this discussion, where you can all ask me to change the variables live to anything you'd like.

I'll be sending the Zoom invitations 2 hours before showtime to everyone currently subscribed to The Domain Social, so subscribe at http://TheDomainSocial.com before 2pm Eastern Time if you want to join.

Here are some previous editions of The Domain Social, although this one will be different from the others and specifically intended for Domainer and Portfolio Math:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbW5sUR0Fnbf03pkgtbJWNw

4pm Eastern = 1pm Pacific = 9pm London = 8pm UTC

I will see if I can stay up that late this side of the globe. But it sure will be interesting

•••
I keep track of them in a large excel file :)

The names are priced according to bands, i.e, 995, 1995, 2995, etc. Every few months I go through the list and determine if price changes are in order, but it's only every year or so that I would do a bulk change,

I list them at the regular venues, such as Afternic, Sedo, and DAN. All allow for bulk upload and pricing changes.

Similar method here, although not identical. Thumbs up.

But I go through the price list far more often than a few months. Once or twice a month. At 17K domains I would do this each 2 months but not less frequently.

I found it is vital to go as many times as possible through the list and change pricing.

•••
Similar method here, although not identical. Thumbs up.

But I go through the price list far more often than a few months. Once or twice a month. At 17K domains I would do this each 2 months but not less frequently.

I found it is vital to go as many times as possible through the list and change pricing.
How do you look at t\he price of 17 Domains?
How many categories have you created?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back