Domain Empire

Mark Monitor should implement Forever Registration

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Business Brands

Knowledge is PowerRestricted (Market)
Impact
With the scale of the domains entrusted to their firm, they might as well add this valuable service.

Epik.com introduced it, from what I know.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
With the scale of the domains entrusted to their firm, they might as well add this valuable service.

Epik.com introduced it, from what I know.

There's no such thing as a forever registration. That's just a marketing gimmick. That's why they don't offer it. You cannot offer what doesn't exist.

Last edited:
•••
There's no such thing as a forever registration. That's just a marketing gimmick. That's why they don't offer it. You cannot offer what doesn't exist.
While it doesn't exist on registires' side, it's still possible for registrars to offer something equivalent to a "Forever" registration. All you need is to mitigate the risks properly, thus asking for more.
But there is something else. Most registrars wouldn't offer it I think, even if the registries were to offer it (and chances are they wouldn't anyway). Selling goods one time is great, selling goods over and over can be better (plus, when you sell on recurring payments, you get extra chances for upsells)

•••
I will be opening a service offering forever registrations very soon.
You pay 10 years up front and I will register your domains forever.

I plan to sell the business in about 9 years when I can show it has a spectacular bottom line of at least 10x profit to cost. :xf.wink:

•••
I will be opening a service offering forever registrations very soon.
You pay 10 years up front and I will register your domains forever.

I plan to sell the business in about 9 years when I can show it has a spectacular bottom line of at least 10x profit to cost. :xf.wink:
There are ways to make it profitable after the 10 years mark ;)
But it's still risk management in the end. What if the economy as we know it today just doesn't exist in 10 years, or Verisign gets to have $100 per year renewals wholecost ? Then bankruptcy might be the best way, making all these forever contracts worthless

•••
Then bankruptcy might be the best way, making all these forever contracts worthless

That was exactly what I was implying because after the tenth year it would be all losses.

Last edited:
•••
That was exactly what I was implying because after the tenth year it would be all losses.

Not necessarily. I you get enough people to go for it you could raise quite some capital (+/-$400 each). Invest that wisely, for 10 years and it could work.

Not sure how an enduser would profit. I think I calculated before that after 25(?) years of registration, price increases kept in mind, the registrant would break even. 25 years is a long time. Not worth the risk, you can register yourself for 10 years, that should suffice.

That being said, there are oh so many tech companies who tried to offer lifetime subscriptions on products. They all fail or start charging you anyway at some point.

•••
That being said, there are oh so many tech companies who tried to offer lifetime subscriptions on products. They all fail or start charging you anyway at some point.

My absolute fave is when they say lifetime.
Then comes the new and improved product and the lifetime refers to the old outdated one forcing you to upgrade again.

•••
The only entity that could feasibly offer lifetime registration is a registry. And lifetime can mean the lifetime of the original registrant or the time that the domain is registered to them. So that the lifetime registration cannot be passed on to family or a new registrant. Also if any of the registrant info is changed at any time, it may cancel the lifetime registration status. Lots of ways to get out of it.

•••
In my opinion, Mark Monitor should ABSOLUTELY implement forever registration as they are being entrusted highly valuable domains.

•••
  • Is there any organization that can register permanently now

:xf.wink:

•••
They and their stakeholders are too stuck this; “rent payers” mentality -The problem extends all domains; not just from MarkMonitor’s side.

Few embrace it, and the ones who do are looked at with scorn, “pariah” take you money; since (stupid) ICANN limits register 10 years!

What a joke; Registries, Registers, can adapt;
they just dont want to (too much skin in game)
Stick with status quo; “if it ain’t broke, dont fix.” fight forever; try exempt specific companies’.
i have one Registrar in mind.. will not name;
Focus in the macroeconomics, not micro.
It can be done; you just dont want to.
(Many big time players pay low renewal per;
since they hold a lot of names.. conflict?

They DONT WANT DISTURB; paradigm shift;
However, I will forever fight 4; “forever domain”
We have an asset; Time to treat them like one.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back