domains MariaSharapova.com expires and closes over $22K at GoDaddy auctions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

Former world No. 1 tennis player Maria Sharapova had her domain name expire and it closed at GoDaddy for a whopping $22,250. 3 weeks ago Maria announced she is expecting her first child, so she has much bigger things on her mind than a domain name. She has 14,630,209 Facebook likes, 4.3M Instagram Followers. Ahrefs shows strong link profile. Domain Rating 60 Backlinks 66,478 95% … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"she is expecting her first child, so she has much bigger things"
She can sleep quiet then, there is someone that will take care about her domain

•••
That's a lot of money just to "look after her domain"..

•••
Would she potentially be able to claim the domain anyhow with a UDRP?

Last edited:
•••
Would she potentially be able to claim the domain anyhow with a UDRP?

Yep. There's a reason why a name with 200,000+ searches per month only sold for 22k. Unless another woman named Maria Sharapova bought it, they're pretty much screwed.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Just a UDRP waiting to happen.

•••
"she is expecting her first child, so she has much bigger things"
She's not going to be sleeping quietly for a good few months with a new born baby, especially the first one :xf.wink:

•••
•••
To be fair she could just buy mariasharapova.xyz and be at the forefront of the new internet

•••
To be fair she could just buy mariasharapova.xyz and be at the forefront of the new internet
Then create some NFT's and a Sharapova Coin then sell them on the newly acquired .xyz website

•••
Then create some NFT's and a Sharapova Coin then sell them on the newly acquired .xyz website
Yes! Then people can invest and lose all of their money.

•••
Hypothetically, if the domain is used by a fan club or used as a blog, with no advertising and no profit, could it still be used?

•••
Hypothetically, if the domain is used by a fan club or used as a blog, with no advertising and no profit, could it still be used?
At this point I honestly think the answer is a no.

•••
•••
This domain is worth $0.
Most russians don't care about domains and don't understanding the importance of personal or company branding.

•••
As far as dumb purchases go this one is well up there.

•••
Where is the love button to quick reply? ?? 😃
A like and a thanks = love, if that helps ☺️

As far as dumb purchases go this one is well up there.
Yeah, if I had participated in that auction it'd certainly be one of those sinking feeling kind've endings to the auction where I realised my mistake 😔

•••
Huge mistake by the buyer.
The interesting part is that no newbie would do that, so it must've been an experienced investor. Are experienced domain investors making such mistakes more often than we think?! Makes me wonder..

•••
Very bad purchase by the buyer. Not only the money is wasted but such people directly or indirectly tarnish the image of domain industry.

•••
domain strong in SEO , thousands of visitors plus links from wikipedia , the buyer will use it to get revenue
from parking and could return his invetment after a year , i mean if UDRP didnt happend .

I was more surprised to see such below domain sold three days ago

1652513616581.png

•••
Maybe they can wrangle a day out at a tennis court with Maria Sharapova in return for the domain's safe return 😂.

It would be worth 20k I suspect. ☺️

Last edited:
•••
Huge mistake and wasted money. For 22K, the winning bidder could buy 2-3 solid names, UDRP free.

Probably an idiot, who already sent a message to Maria, asking 1 million for the domain.

Last edited:
•••
domain strong in SEO , thousands of visitors plus links from wikipedia , the buyer will use it to get revenue
from parking and could return his invetment after a year , i mean if UDRP didnt happend .

I was more surprised to see such below domain sold three days ago

Show attachment 215909

SEO Domains just keep getting more expensive - this has a DR score of 37 on Ahrefs and a DA score of 49 on Moz has some decent backlinks...... but over $20k seems steep......

•••
Why doesn't he renew the domain name?

•••
Back