NameSilo

Mail websites

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi All,
Just picked up a cool mail name and was thinking of developing a site for it. Two options I'm considering:
A check your email anywhere type site like Mail2web.com, Pandamail.com, e-mol.com

or

A webmail type deal where people would sign up to have an address like YourName@****mail.com

Anybody have ideas, thoughts, comments, etc... What type of hosting capacity etc is required? Pros? Cons?
Thanks! :wave:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If my prior free email sites were/are any indication: most people will sign up for a free email account, then not use it for long, if at all. Free email is readily available and there's alot of competition... a niche market is best in this field.

Regional domains are good IMO.. advertisers love them because they believe the ads can be more easily targeted... for example, xxxxxxstatemail.com can have ads targeted to the residents (presumably).

westblock said:
Hi All,
Just picked up a cool mail name and was thinking of developing a site for it. Two options I'm considering:
A check your email anywhere type site like Mail2web.com, Pandamail.com, e-mol.com

or

A webmail type deal where people would sign up to have an address like YourName@****mail.com

Anybody have ideas, thoughts, comments, etc... What type of hosting capacity etc is required? Pros? Cons?
Thanks! :wave:

•••
[email protected]

There are several companies that offer such services. One reliable one is usa.net, but the cost might be higher than other services. They were one of the pioneers of free e-mail back in the 90s.

I want to do the same but I have not found a service that is cheaper than a dollar a month a mailbox per [email protected]. Such a cost makes it difficult to mark it up and still make it compete with free e-mail services. Additionally, many of these email services haven't attained any degree of reliability or security.

I did see that yahoo has a similar paid email service. You'd probably have to hand register your customers and keep on top of things.

If you find one, let me know.

•••
There are a couple places that still host this type service, and I've dabbled with them without much success in the free email arena (with banner ad placements). I have not really made anything on it, but it does bring some repeate visitors back to a hobby type site.

Everyone.net was one of the big ones, but pretty much cut off open enrollment unless you can prove you'll bring lots of traffic. Basically they sell premium serivices to free users and give you a commission. They also have paid sevrices that run $1 a month or so per box in small quantities. I think another company that did this was outblaze.com, but haven't checked their lately. communityarchitect.com is another that I checked out but never used. They create mail and web communities using your domain and pay commission for hosting/email purchases.

The main problem with these services is controlling spammers. One spammer can blacklist your domain name and all it's users. even worse, it can blacklist the IP and therefore all other domains on that server. If spamming can ever be controlled, I may be interested again, but until then, it seems problematic to me.

•••
Thanks for the info NPer's. I hadn't thought of the spam crap that seems to be the bain of the internet. Any ideas on the first concept?

The Name is HulaMail.com (not like me huh?) so it is somewhat targeted. I was thinking along the lines of a check your email while on vacation type theme...

•••
your domain is nice and you will do well in this, but there is a lot of competition

•••
HulaMail sounds like a really cool name for an email service, especially in the way you mentioned. I hope it works out for you! :)

•••
Personally, I'd market it as a regional email service... more appeal to the regional market, I'd suspect.

Anthony said:
HulaMail sounds like a really cool name for an email service, especially in the way you mentioned. I hope it works out for you! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back