Dynadot

debate Have you ever created a website to sell a high value domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SSM

Established Member
Impact
I'm not referring to low or even mid value domains, but ultra premium domains.

The way I see it, is that these type of domains will

A) get type in traffic, and
B) If a party is interested, they'll find a way of making contact regardless of which landing page is used.

I.e. it makes no difference if the domain is parked to Sedo, Dan, GoDaddy etc.

BUT... I'm curious to if anyone has ever gone to the effort of creating a website (rather than just a landing page) with the purpose of driving organic traffic to the domain with the hopes of attracting more attention to the fact the domain is for sale.

With an extensive background in SEO for 15yrs, I'm tempted by taking this route to sell a 7 figure domain. At the same time, I also know the search intent of the user will not be targeted and that majority of the traffic will be pointless. But there's the small chance that businesses within the same industry will discover the site through organic keywords, visit the site and see the domain itself is for sale.

So whilst I see the pros and cons, I'm actually curious if anyone has ever done this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yes, but instead of showcasing the amazing domain, it normally just becomes a site I that I am responsible for until the end of time!

•••
Easiest way is to turn your domain into a news website,
for ex. using wordpress + news plugins...

You can also rent out a service for that, so you don't have to host at all.

Yes, but instead of showcasing the amazing domain, it normally just becomes a site I that I am responsible for until the end of time!

Depends.

If you visibly put a link at the top (right corner), calling it 'contact' , and then forward to a DAN landing page,
you have good odds that a pot. buyer clicks on it.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm not referring to low or even mid value domains, but ultra premium domains.

The way I see it, is that these type of domains will

A) get type in traffic, and
B) If a party is interested, they'll find a way of making contact regardless of which landing page is used.

I.e. it makes no difference if the domain is parked to Sedo, Dan, GoDaddy etc.

BUT... I'm curious to if anyone has ever gone to the effort of creating a website (rather than just a landing page) with the purpose of driving organic traffic to the domain with the hopes of attracting more attention to the fact the domain is for sale.

With an extensive background in SEO for 15yrs, I'm tempted by taking this route to sell a 7 figure domain. At the same time, I also know the search intent of the user will not be targeted and that majority of the traffic will be pointless. But there's the small chance that businesses within the same industry will discover the site through organic keywords, visit the site and see the domain itself is for sale.

So whilst I see the pros and cons, I'm actually curious if anyone has ever done this?
Create a sight and monetize it, that will only add more value.

•••
Yes, I create channel sites for some of my premium domains, like DroneTV.com, and it continues to attract attention, and offers, from others in the industry. Some of the offers were quite respectable, but as the $1.4M asking price targets the TV station market... I continue to respectfully decline lessor offers.

I'm transitioning to a sub-domain set-up [so all site links don't resolve yet.] where the sub-domain does biz and interested parties that visit the main domain discover it, and others, are for sale. I think posting the domain is for sale on the 'biz' site interferes with the 'sales pitch'.

As far as SEO goes, I'm glad to see both the sub-domain and/or the domain still rank the first page.

Rinse & repeat for ResellTV.com (Resell.com is $2M @ Godaddy), and 8 others in my premium network.
.COM is king and it is fact but what is about other TLDs like .NET, .INFO, .BIZ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back