Dynadot

question A question for geodomain owners

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Blues Brother

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about buying a city.com domain for a particular town in Oregon. The city has a relatively high average income level, and a population of about 30,000 people.

There are many businesses in the city (local shops, lawyers, real estate agents, dentists, doctors, etc).

How would you go about contacting these businesses about advertising opportunities (or a directory listing if it's a directory site)?

Would you call them up yourself? Would you send direct mail? Would you visit them in person and make a presentation?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm shy and don't like prospecting on the phone. I would prefer hiring a salesperson to do the heavy lifting.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the main question is not how to approach them, but rather what to offer. Knowing what to offer and having a strong ''case'' (e.g. why should they advertise on this website, why is beneficial for them) is crucial to get them on board, which you can do in all ways you mentioned - in person, phone, emails.

•••
I launched a directory on my Country Geo site last week

Reached out to about 100 holiday lettings businesses last Thursday and this week have to get 16 properties listed. Also talking to a couple of non holiday companies that slipped through the net about banner advertising

I sent a very detailed cold email out, 2 people called me off the back off it and I have numerous leads to follow up this week as a lot of people had questions on price, content, visitor numbers and wanted to make sure I'm a real person

You need traffic, plain and simple - no traffic, no benefit for people listing on your directory

To get the traffic, you need content, if your not willing to throw loads of regular good quality content on the site then how are you going to get that organic traffic?

Paid ad's? = eating into your revenue
Social Media? = lot's of time and effort same as web content

There's no shortcuts

•••
If you have a load of question feel to drop me a DM - more than happy to share some of what I've learnt (y)

•••
I would definitely get additional tips from GPT 4 at ai.com Really good stuff there for startups and think it really depends on the town as well. It's one thing to reach out to a potential customer from portland.com and another thing from wilsonville.com A larger city you have instant credibility with the dot com

I would think you could have credibility with a small city dot com as long as tourism is big there. You will probably need to launch some freebie projects first before getting paid advertisers. I've been wanting to visit the Oregon coast. Good luck!

•••
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about buying a city.com domain for a particular town in Oregon. The city has a relatively high average income level, and a population of about 30,000 people.

There are many businesses in the city (local shops, lawyers, real estate agents, dentists, doctors, etc).

How would you go about contacting these businesses about advertising opportunities (or a directory listing if it's a directory site)?

Would you call them up yourself? Would you send direct mail? Would you visit them in person and make a presentation?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm shy and don't like prospecting on the phone. I would prefer hiring a salesperson to do the heavy lifting.

Thanks

I would rent some billboards, buy ads on local newspapers in a town with 30,000 people and would hire a salesperson to answer incoming calls and for face-to-face meetings.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back