Dynadot

discuss Louisarmstrong.com $240k drop

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr. Holgrave

Established Member
Impact
Hi All,

I'm new here trying to learn the business. I just saw on namebio that LouisArmstrong.com sold for $1465.00 with an estibot value of $240,000.00! Am I missing something here? I don't watch the site Dropcatch but would this have been in public auction before ending? How on earth did every single smart domain investor miss this one? Is this some kind of record? Can it still be renewed like godaddy expired auctions can? Thanks, and I will formally introduce myself tomorrow. I just had to post this burning question!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Estibot is garbage, I have to agree with the status quo.

Also, if the estate of Mr. Louis Armstrong demanded the domain, it's my opinion that the current owner should be more than a little worried.

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't trust estibot.

Last edited:
•••
LouisArmstrong is worth very close to this in the New Orleans area. Our airport is named after him along with much else. Can someone help explain to me how such a valuable domain slipped through for so little? Is this common?

•••
could be a potential Trade mark issue, i wouldnt have bid on it

•••
•••
Rarely two word domains break 6 figures and I know of no two word name that ever did that.

In conclusion; its not that valuable. Price seems fitting. I can show you a number of one word .com domains at 5 figures. Why would this be worth 6?

Think about it. How would you make money with this name?

Edit
Also estibot is far from garbage. Its the single most valuable tool in the industry for the understanding of domain metrics. But dont take the valuations as gospel. You still need a brain to use it.

Last edited:
•••
My understanding from experience in business is that in trademark law, intent of infringement needs to be willful. I know that the Louis Armstrong trust or City of New Orleans tourism board would be thrilled to purchase this domain for a sizable amount. I also know there are plenty of guys named Louis Armstrong in the south who could have bought this for their junk hauling or landscape business. Simply owning this domain would not be trademark infringement, and it would cost more to go after someone for owning it than it would be to just offer a nice fair amount for purchase. Heck, it could be a heck of a charitable tax deduction for a wealthy philanthropist as well. I would have paid an easy $20k for this comfortably and would not have lost any sleep about getting it in the hands of the right people. Good people with honest intentions don't get sued for trademark infringement, if they remain honest in their actions. Thank you all for the replies to my first post. I'm certainly in this business for the long run and will be here often looking for great conversation.

•••
I would have paid an easy $20k for this comfortably and would not have lost any sleep about getting it in the hands of the right people.
In my estimation you'll have no problem persuading the registrant to sell this name for $20k. Good luck!

•••
My understanding from experience in business is that in trademark law, intent of infringement needs to be willful. I know that the Louis Armstrong trust or City of New Orleans tourism board would be thrilled to purchase this domain for a sizable amount. I also know there are plenty of guys named Louis Armstrong in the south who could have bought this for their junk hauling or landscape business. Simply owning this domain would not be trademark infringement, and it would cost more to go after someone for owning it than it would be to just offer a nice fair amount for purchase. Heck, it could be a heck of a charitable tax deduction for a wealthy philanthropist as well. I would have paid an easy $20k for this comfortably and would not have lost any sleep about getting it in the hands of the right people. Good people with honest intentions don't get sued for trademark infringement, if they remain honest in their actions. Thank you all for the replies to my first post. I'm certainly in this business for the long run and will be here often looking for great conversation.

they might not get sued - but they will just take the name from them after a good WIPO case against the owner.

•••
"Good people with honest intentions don't get sued for trademark infringement, if they remain honest in their actions".

Nice words and how nice that would be if it were even remotely true. I have had two domains stolen through the utterly corrupt thievery of UDRP. Stores have shoplifters, domainers have UDRP.

•••
He is a globally known person, so for me obviously is a bad faith registration.
All these registrations should be avoided as provoque bad reputation to people in domaing scene

•••
I am current owner of this domain , Can anybody tells me if i redirect this name to my another startup or just built a tribute site with some adsense ads will be trademark issue for me ?

•••
I am current owner of this domain , Can anybody tells me if i redirect this name to my another startup or just built a tribute site with some adsense ads will be trademark issue for me ?

It re-directs me to DNshop.com.

I see 100% integration, with re-direct of that site, even entering it on mobile Safari browser.

Last edited:
•••
It re-directs me to DNshop.com
Hello, its fixed now , i am planning to remove everything from the name to get my self safe from legal actions.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back