Domain Empire

question Looking for generic registration stats

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

statsdude

Impact
not looking for specific data, mostly just trends in terms of over all domain registration.

In particular, trying to find out if compared to 2022, April and May were better this year for domain registration. I think may was a down month in 2022. Was it an up month this year, would you say?

Links appreciated, but opinions also helpful.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
not looking for specific data, mostly just trends in terms of over all domain registration.

In particular, trying to find out if compared to 2022, April and May were better this year for domain registration. I think may was a down month in 2022. Was it an up month this year, would you say?

Links appreciated, but opinions also helpful.
For .COM:
01 May 2023 (April diff)
New: 3,267,372 Del: 3,281,773 Net: -14,401

01 May 2022 (April diff)
New: 3,322,497 Del: 3,157,808 Net: 164,689
01 June 2022 (May diff)
New: 3,179,795 Del: 3,213,148 Net: -33,353
There are always promotions around March-May in .COM before the market slows down during the Summer months. It is a more complicated market this year as a lot of the Covid Bubble registrations are washing out the the zones.

I'm in the middle of transferring servers at the moment as well as adding new data so may not be able to add more data for a while. The new gTLDs are a very mixed bag. The zone file counts for the larger ones are not reliable as a measure of performance and haven't been since .XYZ kicked off the discounting model that was perfected by Afilias with .INFO almost ten years earlier.

The .COM took a big hit for the December 2022 domain names.Some of this was due to the Covid Bubble registrations deleting but 2023 is a different market to that of 2022. The deletions seen this year are largely 2022 domain names. The registries typically publish whas is known as a blended renewal rate. That's number of all renewals / (number of all renewals + number of deletions) *100. The first renewal rate for .COM varies from 50% to 56% depending on the month.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back